Harassing Call

Discussion in 'Not Sure Where it Goes' started by Cody Fousnaugh, Jan 7, 2018.

1. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

Decided to tell this, which is much shorter, but to the point about what's happening:

My wife has been/is getting calls, and hang-ups, from someone we don't know. She got a number of them this last Friday at work. She doesn't answer her phone at work, unless the call is from me with my picture/name/number of her screen.

We do know, because the person called us on FaceTime (video calling), that the person is a Black kid in his mid teens to early 20's.

He called Friday evening, after calling my wife at work a number of times, and then called last night (Saturday) using regular phone calls and FaceTime.

By coincidence, my wife gave her boss at work, who is a young black lady, her phone number on Thursday. Did someone she knows get the number from her phone without her knowing it. We don't know.

Going to Verizon today to check out the number and see about having it blocked.

Ever had something like this happen to you?

2. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

If it's an iPhone you can block the number yourself.

Ive gotten a few calls from someone thinking they were calling someone else. I kept telling them they had the wrong number but it was a Hispanic person and probably didn't understand. Finally realized that I wasn't the person they wanted and the calls stopped.

Could be the same thing going on with your wife.

Do they say anything?

If he used FaceTime and you saw his face I doubt he's a harasser.

To block the call yourself...touch the small "i" in the circle and then scroll all the way to the bottom and touch "Block this caller".

Last edited: Jan 7, 2018
    Bill Boggs and Yvonne Smith like this.
  3. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

My wife was called at least 9 times on Friday, but never left a message. When he called on Friday night, I ask who it was and he didn't answer and hung up. Continuous calling, and not talking and hanging up, is harassing.

We can Block his call, but have to add to our Contacts to do it. Were going to let a Verizon Rep help us on this.

What my wife wants to know is, if her boss knows this kid. Perhaps not, but perhaps yes. Were not scared, like losing sleep or anything like that, but definitely want the calls to stop and perhaps find out who this is and why he's continues to call and not say a word.

4. Chrissy Cross

Registered

I don't have to add a number to my contacts to block it...I do it all the time with spam callers.

5. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

If he calls tonight, I will try and video his call, or at least him for a second.

6. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

We have to add it to our Contacts. I went to our iPhone app and to the "Block" area, hit on it and it took me to Contacts. So, would have to add the number than block it. We'll see what Verizon says.

Bill Boggs likes this.
  7. Chrissy Cross

Registered

Did you just click on the 'I" next to the number?

Mine is an iPhone 7 but I think I could block this way with my previous phone too.

8. Chrissy Cross

Registered

Here is an example ...I just took this screenshot of a spam call I had awhile ago...

IMG_1848.JPG

Holly Saunders likes this.
  9. Kitty Carmel

Kitty Carmel Veteran Member
    Registered

I have. Won't get into details. I know one thing that happens is people will give false numbers to people they meet in a social situation, bar or club. They don't want to give their real number and don't want to say no, they don't want to give that person their number, so they give a false number and then the person who has that number gets it. I think going to your phone carrier is a good idea.

Bill Boggs and Holly Saunders like this.
  10. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

Yes, I figured out how to do the “Block”. Thanks for your help, Chrissy.

However, Verizon did tell us that he could call us from a different phone.

We’ll see what happens.

My wife is going to mention the number to her boss and see what she says. She gave her boss her number last Thursday and these calls started on Friday.

Holly Saunders and Chrissy Cross like this.
  11. Kitty Carmel

Kitty Carmel Veteran Member
    Registered

12. Holly Saunders

Holly Saunders Supreme Member
    Registered

Cody, I'm wondering if this is a boyfriend or partner of your wife's boss... maybe suspects she's cheating on him and goes through her phone looking for numbers he doesn't recognise. That would make not only sense of him calling to find out if a male answers, but also the face-timing for him to see what the suspected person looks like...

I really think that your wife needs to speak to her Boss ASAP...

13. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

No calls last night, but we did block the number he was calling from. Wife will mention the number to her boss and see what she says. Sure wish we wouldn't have known about, and how, to block a number last Friday evening before he called my wife at home. Wouldn't gone thru this crap and some of the worrying/wondering we did.

14. Frank Sanoica

Frank Sanoica Supreme Member
    Registered

We still use a "land-line" for most phone use while at home. Depressing * 67 before dialing removes your identity from the called party's instrument, FWIW.
    Frank

15. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

My wife ask her boss if she knew the phone number of the guys name (that was associated with the number, we found on the Internet) and she said "no" to both. Such a coincidence that my wife gave her boss her phone number last Thursday and this kid called her at least 8 times on the following day (Friday).

Will just have to see how things go with this. If he call her again on FaceTime, when she is at home, we will video record as much of the call as we can. Even if it's only for a moment and he says nothing, like exactly what's happened before. The number he called us from is now Blocked on wife's phone, but he could use someone else's phone.