Happy Thanksgiving, Everyone

Discussion in 'Holidays & Traditions' started by Maggie Mae, Nov 21, 2018.

1. Bess Barber

Bess Barber Veteran Member
    Task Force Registered

I wasn't sure, especially since our Thanksgiving story may be a bit of make believe with small traces of truth. :D I thought the Canadians always had a better relationship with the natives than we did. On YouTube is this really long saga of Canadian history. Hours of it. Probably the most interesting one I have ever watched. I may go back and watch it again. It's been a few years ago.

2. Shirley Martin

Shirley Martin Supreme Member
    Registered

3. Lon Tanner

Lon Tanner Supreme Member
    Registered

As For Me-----The same 24 family members that I hosted for Thanksgiving Dinner in the Private Dining Room here at my Assisted Living Digs when I moved in two years ago 2017 will this year be hosted in the home of my oldest grand child who is anxious to put her large new home to good use. The event will be a POT LUCK Dinner with family members all contributing various items. I will take wines. I was RSVPeed on Face Book as were the others. No one has to travel far since we all live within 30 minutes of each other.

4. Shirley Martin

Shirley Martin Supreme Member
    Registered

I'll be cooking at my house for family and friends. No wine, though. Lon, if I invite you, will you bring wine? :D

Bess Barber likes this.
  5. Bess Barber

Bess Barber Veteran Member
    Task Force Registered

I'm not sure. Our family is odd in not necessarily observing a holiday on the same day everyone else does. They can all go a few days or even a week in either direction depending on what everyone has going on. It's really not that big of a deal to any of us.

6. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

At my mother-in-law's family free-for-all. Everyone brings a dish and we pig out.

Frank Sanoica likes this.
  7. Lois Winters

Lois Winters Veteran Member
    Registered

My son and I will join my late daughter in law's family for Thanksgiving this year. We usually had it at her aunt's with all sorts of relatives on her side, but her aunt also passed away this past year and we've split into smithereens. Same thing happened to my family when my Mom passed on. Odd how that happens. Only takes one to keep a family intact. At Christmas it will be my son, my daughter in law's one cousin and myself at my son's house. My son's sister in law is married to an Englishman and they will be in England for that holiday.

8. Tex Dennis

Tex Dennis Veteran Member
    Registered

I have 4 invites so far so my super secret plans are: cant do all so have to choose, noon meal with be at friends that will lend a hand 24/7 if even need be and have decent food few snacks and eat on time very prompt that's the noon plans we will stay till 2+ not much longer as then we leave and go to other friends that always eat later, have the BEST food and snacks are unreal and lots of them, so be there about 4pm, both are dog friendly so Mica goes also with my neighbor and I. Plan on being home and settled before 10pm. Friday after I am trying to organize a pistol match as so many off that day.

Will add some more one of the one I am not going to is cooking Mexican food and I really hate to miss out on that for sure but not a doggy friendly place, where ever we go I always take an empty ice chest just incase of any extras floating around!

Last edited: Nov 4, 2019
    Yvonne Smith likes this.
  9. Bill Boggs

Bill Boggs Supreme Member
    Registered

I don't know. It's too early to tell. My son and DIL live here but it's hard to know. Last Thanksgiving we dined alone. That's possible again.

10. Von Jones

Von Jones Supreme Member
    Registered

No real family gathering just drop-ins but we have always prepared a hearty Thanksgiving dinner for carry outs. That's how it has been since my mother passed.

Frank Sanoica likes this.
  11. Al Amoling

Al Amoling Veteran Member
    Registered

We'll be dining at home.

12. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

We have everything ready to eat, and just waiting for my daughter, Robin , to arrive. Bobby got the Franciscan Desert Rose plates down from the top shelf of the cupboard, and that always makes everything really special for me.
    My mother had some of the Desert Rose pieces that she brought back from California with her in about 1929, when Franciscan was still made in California. She had some of the really old Fiesta Ware as well, and I have always loved both of them, and grew up seeing her dishes in the cupboard or the china cabinet.
    I have parts of an old set that I found in a thrift store in 1969, and have packed along with me for the last 50+ years, plus a few pieces of the later Franciscan that was made in England, which looks very close to the original ones made in California.

13. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

First, wife and I want to say........Happy Thanksgiving to all on the forum.

Right now, watching the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade and just finished a sausage/eggs breakfast. A few of the balloons didn't go up, like Ronald McDonald, due to winds. Will hopefully dining at Spencer's Restaurant later this afternoon. It's might cold outside right now (11:46AM) at 25 degrees and only going to 30 degrees today. Got to try and get over to our boat, either today or tomorrow and clean the snow off of the full cover.

14. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

Happy Thanksgiving, everyone.