Happy Independence Day!

Discussion in 'Holidays & Traditions' started by Diane Lane, Jul 2, 2016.

1. Diane Lane

Diane Lane Veteran Member
    Registered

It's not quite the 4th of July yet, but it is the long holiday weekend. Despite not liking how our country is being led, I'm still very proud of our country, and enjoy celebrating our independence.

Does anyone have specific plans? I usually just stay home and watch the fireworks on TV. I could go down to the beach and watch the local ones, but there's too much partying down there for me, and I wouldn't want to get run over by a drunk on a golf cart :eek:on the way home.

4july-happy-independence-day-america.jpg proud american.jpg american love country.jpg

2. Patsy Faye

Patsy Faye Supreme Member
    Registered

I'll drink to that Diane - we had our Independence day last week ! :p
    We Brexited :D

Last edited: Jul 2, 2016
  3. Corie Henson

Corie Henson Veteran Member
    Registered

Happy Independence Day to the Americans in this forum. I'm sure you are all excited of the coming holiday. Have you prepared for the fireworks? How about the parade? I have a dream that when we go to the US for a tour, I want it to be timed with the 4th of July so I could see for myself the celebration. I wanted to feel the festive atmosphere that is equivalent to the yuletide atmosphere here, according to my relatives in the US.

Ike Willis and Diane Lane like this.
  4. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

I'm not doing anything,too hot. Usually my neighbors put on quite a show on our street but with the heat and drought I don't even know if it's still allowed. I did see fireworks being sold, so maybe still okay.

Thankfully Pickles doesn't react to the noise.

I didn't feel like going you my daughter's because leaving this late there will be heavy traffic to the coast and I couldn't leave earlier because of my drs appt yesterday.

Diane Lane likes this.
  5. Mari North

Mari North Veteran Member
    Registered

Happy 4th to you, too, @Diane Lane and everyone! This song sums up how I feel. It has nothing to do with how the country is being led (or lack thereof, to make the statement current) but about my feelings deep inside. There are so many veterans in my ancestry, both past and present. I can't even imagine living anywhere else. Powerful graphics here, too.

6. Chrissy Cross

Registered

Always gets me teary eyed.

Mari North likes this.
  7. Mari North

Registered

Happy mornin' to ya, Missy Chrissy! (Uh oh... when Mari latches on to a nickname... uh... well, we'll see :eek: ) Yes, it usually makes me teary, too, but this morning when I played it, there was a different reaction... literal shivers. Not sure what the significance is, but it kind of felt good... and strong, to have that kind of reaction.

Chrissy Cross likes this.
  8. Mari North

Registered

Hope you can do that sometime, @Corie Henson ! I'm not sure where the biggest celebrations would be, but I was in D.C. for the fireworks on the reflecting pool... and sitting on the steps of the Lincoln Memorial a few times on the 4th, and I'd have to say that would be your best deal probably.

Maybe if you like it enough, you can come back for New Years Eve at Times Square. Uh... you'd REALLY have to be a people-lover for that one, though! :D

9. Chrissy Cross

Registered

I don't mind nicknames....since it's my favorite Holiday, ChrisMiss would work also. :)

Yes, Patriotic songs tend to give me goosebumps too but lately everything makes me cry. Good thing my eyes don't get puffy like they used to when I was younger.

Diane Lane and Mari North like this.
  10. Joe Riley

Joe Riley Supreme Member
    Registered

In the Summer of 1966, while stationed at Fort Dix NJ, I went with a few guys into Philadelphia on the 4th of July. It was our 190th Birthday, so the crowds were not too bad. At the time, the Liberty Bell was out in the open, where we could touch it. In later years it was under glass, and I believe it is again in the open. We also visited the American Wax Museum and the home of Betsy Ross. One trivia note, Pennsylvania on the Liberty Bell is spelled with only one "P".
    [​IMG]

Liberty Bell Facts:

• The Liberty Bell was originally cast in 1752
      • The Liberty Bell is owned by the City of Philadelphia
      • Composition: 75% copper 20% tin 5% lead, zinc, gold, silver, nickel
      • Weight: 2080 pounds
      • Circumference at the bell’s lip: 12 feet
      • Height from lip to crown: 3 feet
      • Length of bell’s clapper: 3 feet 2 inches
      • Size of crack: 24.5 inches long and ½ inch wide
      • Strike note: E-flat

Ike Willis likes this.
  11. Texas Beth

Texas Beth Veteran Member
    Registered

I plan on eating hot dogs and chips while drinking many cool beverages. And i hope to find a spot where i can see the fireworks go off. I still love to watch all of the colors spray across the sky. Wish i had the money to by fireworks and set them off myself.

Diane Lane likes this.
  12. Diane Lane

Diane Lane Veteran Member
    Registered

I might grill up some chicken tomorrow for the 4th, although not unless the weather cools off. It seems more patriotic than salmon, though, which is my other option. When I was a teenager, my friends and I would attend the fireworks in Boston, but I'm not much into crowds these days. They used to set them off over the lake near here, but stopped years ago, at which time the crowds started pouring into my little town and taking over my favorite spot, so I avoid that now, as well. The traffic is horrendous, and the infrastructure here really can't support it, so if you go anywhere, you're trapped for hours by traffic. Sometimes I'm just as happy watching recorded fireworks on YouTube, although there's nothing as special as watching them live :). I hope you do get to come and see a nice Independence Day celebration someday @Corie Henson, I'm sure you'd enjoy the show.

Corie Henson likes this.
  13. Joe Riley

Joe Riley Supreme Member
    Registered

EDIT: In case anyone noticed my Trivia Note, it should have read: Pennsylvania was spelled with one "N") ....as it's always spelled with one "P"!;)

Yvonne Smith and Corie Henson like this.
  14. Patsy Faye

Patsy Faye Supreme Member
    Registered

Today's the day - hope its a good one for ye all :D

Joe Riley likes this.
  15. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

Now, I am even more confused, @Joe Riley ! I totally wondered where the other "P" was at in Pennsylvania that was missing.
    Then , I thought maybe it was the "n"; but there are three of those. Now, I am seriously trying to figure out which two are gone, if it was spelled with just one "n".
    Please clarify........