Hannibal

Discussion in 'Movies' started by Ken Anderson, Jul 15, 2020.

1. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I am watching the 2013-2015 series, Hannibal, which just came across on Netflix since I haven't had network television in several years.

Although I've seen the movie, Hannibal, as well as another movie about the same topic, I am having a huge problem following this series. I have watched as far as episode three and have restarted episode one six times now, and I still don't know what's going on. I know that it's about an FBI profiler, who is autistic, and able to empathize with serial killers, and that the killer they are looking for is Hannibal Lecter. I gather that the profiler is a patient of Hannibal Lecter, who is a psychiatrist, as well as the serial killer they're looking for.

However, with the way that the show is presented, the profiler is constantly seeing things in his head that are shown on the screen as if they're happening, and it's hard to tell what's really happening and what's going on in his head.

I can follow the plot, but only because I've seen the movie, and may even have read the book, I don't remember for sure, but the series is not an easy one to follow. Perhaps if I were sitting on a couch doing nothing but watching the screen, it would be easier, but I usually listen to stuff more than I watch, while I am working on the computer, glancing at the screen only enough to be able to follow the story.

This is not one that is easily viewed that way.

John Brunner likes this.
  2. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

Agree. I watched a season of that but it was something you have to focus on for sure. Not a "background noise" kind of show. I thought it was pretty good but a lot of gratuitous gore for a network series. (And I really didn't care for the actor who plays Hannibal; he'll never be an Anthony Hopkins.) I believe the series was based on the book Red Dragon.

Ken Anderson likes this.
  3. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff

Interesting.

My countrified internet is sub-standard, but next year I'm supposed to get fiber.
    I can't wait to have my world enlarged.

Regarding having one's attention divided: I've got the same problem. Years ago I went through a period of renting French movies. I enjoyed their real-life "does not always end well" tenor, and found that I had to pay attention to the screen in order to read the subtitles.

4. Ken Anderson

I can watch movies in some foreign languages and follow them pretty well, even while working on the computer at the same time. I discussed that in another thread a few years ago. In other words, I could follow a German-language movie easier than I am following Hannibal.

5. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff

I gotta ask...do you speak German?

I did well in Spanish in high school (just came naturally to me), and for many years afterwards I continued to read the free local Latino newspaper just so I wouldn't lose the knowledge.

6. Ken Anderson

No, not at all. Many of the words are easy to figure out but I have never spoken the language. I don't speak Swedish either, but I can follow movies in Swedish. I discussed that in the other thread, which I left a link to.

7. Ken Anderson

Maybe I'll try it again sometime but, for now, I gave up on it. I'm not having as much trouble following it now but they seem to have found a way to make serial killers boring.

Beth Gallagher likes this.