Handing Out Money

Discussion in 'Other Reminiscences' started by Ken Anderson, Nov 10, 2021.

1. Teresa Levitt

Teresa Levitt Veteran Member
    Registered

ha!ha!...yeah...that's exactly what you'd do...kind hearted ...

2. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I could have written this (I think I've said that about other Ed Wilson posts.)

I also recall how long it took to crawl out of that pit, and find pleasure (healing?) in taking a little bit of that edge off for others who are in the same spot...especially when Powers That Be actively militate against responsible adults. Those folks deserve positive feedback from normal adults so they know that they are doing the right thing and that it's recognized.

Ed Wilson likes this.
  3. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

I’ve given my share of money, groceries and clothes away but one event still sticks in my mind is when someone gave ME money.

When I was working with the Atlanta Union Mission a pastor friend of mine invited me to his church to hear a message he thought I’d appreciate.
    I of course said I’d be there and I’d also try to bring a couple of program people with me, which I did.

Now, do imagine this. I didn’t even think about it but my friend is black ergo his congregation was probably black, which it was. Myself and my two students (both caucasian) sat in the second row of pews next to the Pastor’s wife. Maybe it’s because we were the only white people there but somehow, the word got around to a gentleman behind us that we were from the mission so when it was time for the collection plate to be passed, that gentleman, thinking we were all broke, tapped each of us on the shoulder and gave us each a $5.00 bill to put into the plate.

At first, a flash of pride went through my brain and I almost refused the money but then the spirit in which it was being offered hit and brought me to tears. He didn’t want us to feel embarrassed when the plate was offered but instead wanted us to feel included which is something I rarely found when it comes to a church’s acceptance of the homeless.

Bottom line is that yes, I put the fiver in the plate but instead of adding my own envelope to it I waited until I saw the Pastor after the service and gave my offering to him personally and out of site of the gentleman whom I prayed would be blessed mightily for his grace and giving.

4. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I always remember this:

Mark 12:41-44

Jesus sat down opposite the place where the offerings were put and watched the crowd putting their money into the temple treasury. Many rich people threw in large amounts. But a poor widow came and put in two very small copper coins, worth only a few cents. Calling his disciples to him, Jesus said, “Truly I tell you, this poor widow has put more into the treasury than all the others. They all gave out of their wealth; but she, out of her poverty, put in everything—all she had to live on.”

Generosity is in proportion to the sacrifice.

5. Ed Wilson

Ed Wilson Veteran Member
    Registered

You know what they say about great minds. :rolleyes:

John Brunner likes this.
  6. Jeff Elohim

Jeff Elohim Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

Results of obedience like the widow who gave everything she had/ right living/ giving ? No one in need.
    " Indeed, there was not a single person in need among them. For those who owned land or property would sell them and bring the proceeds of the sales and place them at the apostles’ feet. They would distribute to each one according to his need."