Hammock Time!

Discussion in 'Retirement & Leisure' started by Hal Pollner, Jun 13, 2018.

1. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I carried one like the one that I posted above on a hiking/camping trip and, while it was very comfortable once I got in it, there were times when it flipped me out the other side the moment I put my weight onto it. Once you get settled though, they are comfortable as long as you're okay sleeping on your back the whole night. Turning over can be disastrous.

The other thing is that with the top, as in my photo, you could stay dry all night as long as you didn't have to go to the bathroom sometime during the night. If you are wet going in, you'll be wet all night.

2. Babs Hunt

Babs Hunt Supreme Member
    Registered

81F%2BnJdIO9L._SL1500_.jpg
    Hal's hammock really does look much easier to get in and out of then the older versions that I'm thinking of. Those old ones would not be so easy to get in and out of now days. :)

3. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

That looks more like an old army cot, though.

4. Babs Hunt

Babs Hunt Supreme Member
    Registered

Maybe so but I could see why Hal could sleep under the stars much easier in that one. :)

5. Hal Pollner

Hal Pollner Veteran Member
    Registered

You bet, Babs!

The free-standing model is the ONLY way to enjoy Hammocking!

You have to work at it to fall out of this baby!

It's just like a bed! I was in the Army, but never slept on a cot...just a regulation US Army bed, with spring frame and mattress.

Hal

Babs Hunt likes this.
  6. Babs Hunt

Babs Hunt Supreme Member
    Registered

I like that one...and I think my husband would too if I could get him to stay still long enough to lay in it. He lives outside that's why we have to have a porch or a patio for his outdoor "living room". :)

7. Hal Pollner

Hal Pollner Veteran Member
    Registered

Last night was pretty balmy...I slept in the Hammock until nearly 4 AM, when the Desert Chill forced me indoors.

Today's Apple Valley high was 107, but down the hill many communities got up to record temps of 111, 114, and 117!

We don't feel the temperature extremes, because our home was built with 2x6 wall studs, not the conventional 2x4's, which allow 50 % thicker insulation batts, plus we have a Concrete Tile Roof.

Hal