Hal Learns How To Post Youtube Videos

Discussion in 'Personal Diaries' started by Hal Pollner, Jan 9, 2020.

1. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

Ah.....and yet, some say that miracles do not exist!!

Beth Gallagher likes this.
  2. Bess Barber

Bess Barber Veteran Member
    Task Force Registered

My dad is an 83 year old brilliant retired tax attorney. After getting a WIN 10, he called me at least 5 times just to get his email set up. THEN, we had to do several practice runs. He is a brilliant retired tax attorney. He just goes blank trying to comprehend the verbiage of electronics. One day, I may have a hard time remembering stuff and I hope someone will help me without making me feel stupid.

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  3. Hal Pollner

Hal Pollner Veteran Member
    Registered

I feel really fulfilled now...I can now play marbles with the big kids on the block!

Hal

4. Faye Fox

Faye Fox Veteran Member
    Registered

Thanks @Beth Gallagher for stepping in and calmly laying out the steps and suggesting printing them up. So glad these two boys can finally shake hands and stop giving each other wedgies over this YouTube embedding. I knew it would take a female to resolve this. NOW, I might mention that some videos cannot be embedded and only the link will show. Should this happen @Hal Pollner do not panic. It is the way it was posted on YouTube. Also if you notice a video you posted is not available anymore, it means that video has been pulled from YouTube. This forum isn't set up for direct video posting like it is for photos so if you have a personal video, let's say playing that beautiful grand piano, then you will have to start a YouTube channel and post your video there, then do as Beth instructed to embed it on the forum. Easier just to post a photo and we can imagine the music, especially if you tell us what piece you are playing.

5. Bobby Cole

Task Force Registered

With all due respect, in the past year and a half or so, Yvonne, Hollly, Beth, Bess, and I think Lois and a couple of other females have tried to help Hal get the YouTube debacle resolved.
    And yes, Ken, myself and a couple of other guys also tried to get Hal started only to get all of our individual heads chopped off when he got frustrated hence, the “wedgie” thing you are referring to.

Of note, this is obviously the first time Hal has decided to Print out the instructions instead of trying to memorize them.
    Alas, after many attempts to straighten the whole thing out, the ever patient computer geek @Beth Gallagher and Hal’s tutor of late, has managed to break the barrier with the help of......a printer.
    Thanks Beth!!

Beth Gallagher and Faye Fox like this.
  6. Faye Fox

Faye Fox Veteran Member
    Registered

I am well aware of this and some may think I give Hal too much slack, but I realize this is a seniors forum and some may suffer early-stage dementia which Hal has admitted he does. I realize seniors suffering this sad and devastating disease can be trying at times, but I have compassion for those and the reference to dementia as mental illness was upsetting to me and a few others. Yes, dementia is a form of mental illness, but knowing what Hal suffers; dementia, it was just mean to refer to it in general as mental illness indicating since so many have tried for a long time to help him with this simple task, he must be retarded or purposely being obstinant. I know he said some hurtful things to you, but how about showing compassion for the elderly suffering a loss of memory and at times struggling to put simple steps together to copy and paste a YouTube URL. My Grandmother suffered dementia in her 80's and it was heartbreaking. My best friend of 40 years is suffering from early-stage dementia. She is a degreed computer technician. Almost daily she forgets how to share a YouTube URL or even share a photo. This may last an hour maybe the entire afternoon. Her husband doesn't help her anymore as it tries him beyond his patience. It tries me to tears and I struggle to not be impatient. How can she know how to do complicated computer things in the morning and by afternoon forget how to do simple things. I remember my mother, a devout Christian that lived her life as she believed, having me read a Bible verse before visiting my grandmother. I think of this verse and others that I once didn't fully understand. How could patience and compassion be the hardest virtues to achieve? I now know and I am more determined than ever to show the compassion I would want to be shown to me if I even suffer dementia.

Al Amoling likes this.
  7. Bobby Cole

Task Force Registered

And again, with all due respect, when I refer to dementia as a “mental illness,” by pure merit that the word “illness” , infers that there is a possibility that it might be alleviated at some time seems to me a bit hopeful rather than.....mean.
    Whilst it may Sound kinder, the word dementia encompasses another myriad of problems including but not limited to: frontal lobe emerita, Huntington’s disease, Parkinson’s Disease, Vascular Dementia, Schizophrenia, Alzheimer’s Disease etc, for which no known cures are yet available..

Now, think what you will, I’ll try to keep Hal on his toes and his brain working my way. Letting him go to sleep whilst listening to lullabies is all good and very nice but it doesn’t keep a person’s brain alert.
    When Hal gets to the stage when he is no longer capable of arguing and fighting back, I’ll be the first one there singing lullabies to him.

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  8. Lois Winters

Lois Winters Veteran Member
    Registered

Dementia is a phsyiological disease caused by the loss of far more than the average 60,000 brain cells we lose daily. It is not classified as a mental illness in any shape, form or manner. Mental illness indicates a psychological disorder which may or may not be treated. If a person reveals he/she is in the early stages of dementia, it should be referred to as just that. Somehow I find it rather insulting to imply the individual is a mental case. Regardless of what a text book description of dementia may encompass, in Hal's case, he clearly states he's in the early stages of dementia. Indeed, it is kind to help keep his brain alert, but it is kinder yet to do so in a positive manner as opposed to insults.

9. Bobby Cole

Task Force Registered

To be proper and to be completely accurate and “kind”, in the future I will refer to his problem as a “disorder”. It too denotes that there might be a way of bringing things back to “order”.

Beth Gallagher and Lois Winters like this.
  10. Bess Barber

Bess Barber Veteran Member
    Task Force Registered

I'm starting to feel like I did when my grandson explained to the waitress that his nanny "can't eat sugar stuff because she's too old". :D

Beth Gallagher and Bobby Cole like this.
  11. Lois Winters

Lois Winters Veteran Member
    Registered

Yes, Bobby, for to call it a mental illness is confusing to many, and also insulting at best. I see these poor people on a daily basis and it is sad. Many are extremely well educated and talented, and to see the brain matter disappear is heartbreaking at best.

12. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

This is another thread that has gone completely off of the original topic, and no longer fits into the help thread ; so I have moved it into the personal diary area, since it is basically Hal’s thread.

Also, I just need to say, in Bobby’s defense, he is one of the kindest-hearted people in the whole world, and he thinks the very best of Hal, and only wants to help him when Hal asks for something to be explained.
    Bobby worked in the homeless rescue mission ministry for many years before we met each other and got married, and the main part of his job was caring for the men who came to the mission and helping them to get their life back together.
    Bobby prays each day and asks for God’s guidance to do His will that day, and even tries to help the druggies that we have walking up and down our street, because he has such a compassionate heart.

You might pick at the words he used, (which he apologized for ), but we all use the wrong words sometimes; and rest assured that Bobby’s heart was in the right place.
    We talk about Hal a lot and what can be done to help him learning this new computer that he has, and also back when he was trying to make the old one work properly.
    Both men enjoy the repartee back and forth, and Hal knows that Bobby and he are friends, and probably they interact more than any of the other guys on this forum do with Hal.

13. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

@Yvonne Smith -- I had no doubt that Bobby did not mean to be unkind. I have observed many lively "exchanges" between Bobby and Hal... and they seem to take turns with the barbs. Hal can give as good as he gets!! :D

I'm sure that many times my posts seem harsh, but then again I'm a cranky old bag so there you are. :mad:

14. Hal Pollner

Hal Pollner Veteran Member
    Registered

The real mental illness I have is the rare affliction Recalcitrant Plebney.

The great Concert Pianist, Actor, and verbal wit Oscar Levant had the same malady.

Harold

15. Al Amoling

Al Amoling Veteran Member
    Registered