Had I Listened To My Dad

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussions' started by Ike Willis, Oct 26, 2015.

1. Ike Willis

Ike Willis Supreme Member
    Registered

My dad was a biker. He had to put his old Harley's and Indian aside when he married mom. Then WW2 happened. He didn't resume riding until he was in his 50's, and rode until in his 80's. His last bike was a Honda with a sidecar. Don't remember the year or model.
    When I turned 18 and graduated high school, I went to work full time. Dad was trying his best to get me to buy a bike like the one pictured. We had a Harley dealer a few blocks from our house. Well, I bought a car instead. A '51 Pontiac 4 door sedan. Straight 8 flathead engine, Hydramatic tranny, an old person's car. What the heck was I thinking? That Pontiac was my very first car. Eventually I did buy a bike, but it was a dirt bike.
    001.jpg 1951pontiacchieftan4drsd050913.jpg

Last edited: Oct 26, 2015
  2. Corie Henson

Corie Henson Veteran Member
    Registered

With the accidents I had been reading every day involving motorcycles, I guess you did right when you bought a car instead of a motorcycle. But on second thought, I am a woman and I understand that men have a different idiosyncracy when it comes to mode of transportation particularly in riding. I'm not well-versed with motorbikes but I've heard of Harley-Davidson from my brothers (I have 8 brothers who are older than me so you can expect me to understand men).

Ike Willis likes this.
  3. Lara Moss

Lara Moss Supreme Member
    Registered

Those are really cool pics! The car, my fave. Love the whitewalls, hood ornament, shiny chrome, pale slate color, and….wait….an outside visor?? Things made so much sense back in the day. Two thumbs us!

4. Joe Riley

Joe Riley Supreme Member
    Registered

That is quite a different story, from the norm, Ike! Usually, it is the Son, who wants a Harley, and the Dad, who is telling him he should buy a car. We have all asked the question. at times: "What was I thinking"?:confused:

Ike Willis and Lara Moss like this.
  5. Lara Moss

Lara Moss Supreme Member
    Registered

You must have been quite dapper, buying such a classy car like that as your very first car!
    My first car I bought was a Chevy Vega…worst car of all time according to statistics.
    Here' a picture of MY first car:

volt-70994948701.jpg

6. Ike Willis

Ike Willis Supreme Member
    Registered

th (2).jpe I had a Vega for awhile. Mine leaked oil. I noted that at every quarter tank of gas it would be a quart or more low. Mine was put to some good use though. One of my daughters wanted to learn to drive a stick shift and my Vega was a four speed. So, I took her out practicing in it until she could make smooth starts and shifts.

Joe Riley likes this.
  7. Magalina Lilis

Magalina Lilis Veteran Member
    Registered

My dad had a bike. Actually one of my first baby pictures is of me being propped up on that old bike. I recall it being parked in the garage (and later the carriage house) up until about age 7. Then one day, it was just gone.

Did not learn until years later, he crashed it. Mom said, now that he had 4 kids, no more risks. Hmm. instead he just brought home the fast cars.... from his shop.

You know, we had lots of rules growing up. Yeah, I use to break a lot of them. Of course, one of them was no getting on bikes, not even a dirt bike.

Of course, I hopped on the back of one of my uncles bikes and burned myself pretty good on the exhaust pipe. Wore long tube socks for the next couple of weeks to hide the evidence - burn mark.

Oh, this reminds me of another one of my uncles inventions (and fairly certain, my dad helped build it). I talking about one of those heavy duty tricycles. They put an engine on the back, boy could that trike burn some rubber.

8. Lara Moss

Lara Moss Supreme Member
    Registered

OMGoodness….you brought back a memory. I was only on the back of a bike once or twice and I burned my leg on the exhaust pipe too. Why didn't our boyfriends warn us about that! Oh, your uncle was old enough to know about that hazard. Do you have a scar? I don't have one so I guess it wasn't that bad.

9. Krissttina Isobe

Krissttina Isobe Veteran Member
    Registered

:oops:Your dad's like Mike and Frank from American Pickers they're all motorcycle and bike men. They love it and will always love it. I never heard of an Indian bike until I watched American Pickers. Some people just like cars instead of motorcycles and it's okay. It's up to the person what they'd like to buy and ride. I like cars too and for a long while I was an enthusiast of motorcycles until I found out it weighed 400 lbs. to hold up while riding it, so I decided that I was a car person.

Ike Willis likes this.
  10. Diane Lane

Diane Lane Veteran Member
    Registered

I'd drive that car today, proudly, it's gorgeous! Of course, I do drive a big old boat of a Pontiac still, but it's not quite as beautiful as that one.

Ike Willis likes this.
  11. Linda Binning

Linda Binning Veteran Member
    Registered

I'll take the car. It's funny because about a week ago I told my husband and brother that I wanted one of those old Pontiac Indian (Native American? I don't want to offend anyone. ) hood ornaments and I'm going to look around for one. They have old hub caps and license plates up I can have a hood ornament if I want. :) I also want a Jaguar hoodie but I doubt one would be in my price range.