Hacking Washing Machines...and Computers At Nuclear Facilities?

Discussion in 'Gadgets & Tech Talk' started by Diane Lane, Aug 5, 2015.

1. Diane Lane

Diane Lane Veteran Member
    Registered

2. John Donovan

John Donovan Veteran Member
    Registered

Bah, this is nothing but fearmongering. I don't really know about washing machines, but nuclear facilities have top-notch security that can't really be hacked unless you're THE hacker. You have to realize that countries protect their nuclear facilities strictly, because if they fall in the wrong hands, life could be wiped off from the face of this planet.

3. Pat Baker

Pat Baker Supreme Member
    Registered

There are devices we use daily that I am sure can be used to steal information, but the washing machine! I think these types of statements are put out there to stir up fear and make people rush to purchase what ever it is they are pushing.

4. Diane Lane

Registered

It's great if it's a case of fearmongering. Perhaps we'll see a response after the conference, that will give additional information. I don't see that they're selling anything, at least at this point, since the only product I saw reported as a 'detector' was an AM radio, which they're not selling.

5. John Donovan

John Donovan Veteran Member
    Registered

They're fearmongering for site views. They get money from ad revenue each time someone visits their site. By having these kinds of incredible titles and manipulative content, they intrigue the normal Internet user. I think that it's disgusting to practice such a thing.

6. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

After reading the article that you linked to, @Diane Lane ; it looks to me like this kind of thing would only work with one of the newer wash mashines that have some kind of computer programming inside to run them.
    My old wash mashine is way too old to be of any use in transmitting anything, although there is not any reason that anyone would be interested in any case.
    What they are talking about doing, in the nuclear facility, for example, seems like the same principle as bugging a phone line, except it transmits information to a computer rather than to someone monitoring the phone tap.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2015
    Diane Lane likes this.
  7. Diane Lane

Registered

Ah yes, the prostitute press in action.

8. Diane Lane

Registered

Mine were purchased about 6 years ago. I'm not concerned about my machines so much. What concerns me is that our government seems so inept, and our information so vulnerable.