H. Salt Fish & Chips

Discussion in 'Restaurant Reviews' started by Ken Anderson, Oct 13, 2018.

1. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

One thing that I miss about living in California is H. Salt Fish & Chips. Since I hadn't heard of them since the early 1980s, when I left California, I was surprised to learn that they are still around, since so many good things are not.

Although I suppose that H. Salt Fish & Chips might qualify as a fast-food restaurant, or perhaps something between a fast-food place and a regular restaurant, I used to love their fish and chips. A lot of restaurants serve fish and chips (I had some just yesterday, which is what reminded me), I haven't had any that I liked as much as the ones at H. Salt Fish & Chips.

Looking at their website, the chips look like regular French fries though, and I remember them being shaped differently in the 1970s and 1980s, thicker and not so regularly shaped, but it was the fish that I liked best anyhow.

hsaltfishchips.jpg hsalt-logo.png

2. Holly Saunders

Holly Saunders Supreme Member
    Registered

Well British fish and chips have thick cut deep fried chips, not French fries , so they may have changed their recipe not only for the chips but for the batter on the fish too...

Tell you what, just make a trip to England and get the real thing... :D

cf9b4c514f0f45209e07ded939feddf8.jpg

We have as many fish and chip shops as you have wendy's or similar...some are small restaurants but mostly they're 'take-away' which is how we describe them rather than ''fast food'' as we do macy D's or KFC, pizza, etc..I don't know why, perhaps because they were the first fast food, and we hadn't learned that phrase then!!

Ken Anderson and Bobby Cole like this.
  3. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff

Yeah, that's more like what I remembered them looking.

Holly Saunders likes this.
  4. Don Alaska

Don Alaska Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

I remember having great fish and chips in Singapore from a food truck that served them with malt vinegar and wrapped in newspaper. No restaurant name attached, at least in my memory....

5. Maggie Mae

Maggie Mae Veteran Member
    Registered

Ken .. I agree 100%. I loved that place when I lived in California .. best fish and chips around and so close the real deal.

I learned to love fish and chips as a child when Mom and Dad would take us to Canada to visit our relatives .. so good ! I always wanted fish and chips with malt vinegar .. no burgers or hot dogs for this kid !

Where I live now ... they seem to think Long John Silver is real fish and chips .. yuck !

We did have a restaurant open here that claims to be an English Pub .. and boy howdy is it ever good!

6. Jenna Parnellson

Jenna Parnellson Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

Ahhh. We don't have an H Salt's here in Spokane, but we do have a bottle of malt vinegar in the fridge. Yummy.

We used to get fish and chips, wrapped in newspaper, in San Francisco, but that was many, many moons ago.

Don Alaska and Yvonne Smith like this.
  7. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff

Do you still have Skippers Fish and Chips , @Jenna Parnellson ? They were in Washington State back when we lived out there. I think they made real French fries from fresh potatoes, and not the frozen mush ones that most places serve today as a French fry.

Jenna Parnellson likes this.
  8. Jenna Parnellson

Jenna Parnellson Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  9. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff

We used to have Arthur Treacher's Fish & Chips out hereon the east coast. (You may recall that Arthur Treacher was Merv Griffin's British sidekick on Merv's TV show, and he played Jeeves the butler in Shirley Temple movies.) Arthur Treacher's also made some mean hush puppies. But even back then (70s through the 90s) it was not a cheap meal. There are a few remaining A.T.'s in Ohio and in Rochester NY, and most of them are attached to other restaurants.

There's a fast food seafood restaurant called Captain D's that has 500 stores in Alabama, Arkansas, Florida, Georgia, Illinois, Kentucky, Louisiana, North Carolina, South Carolina, Michigan, Tennessee, Texas, and Virginia. I ate there once, it was pretty good as I recall. They are as scattered as Chik Fil As are...the closest Captain D's to me are 50 miles away. Here's a list of them all. Arby's makes a decent battered fish sandwich. I guess you could ask to have the fish served by itself.

10. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff

We have Captain D’s here in Huntsville. We used to go there and the food was good, price was decent, and they had a side bar with all of the special sauces, lemons, malt vinegar, ketchup, etc., and drink refills.
    After C-19, all that went away, like it did everywhere mostly, and now it is just those little packets of sauces, and no drink refills, and the food quality has deteriorated terribly, at least here.
    The fried fish and chips tastes like the grease is old and going rancid. I think because they have lost customers, they are cutting corners by using the grease too long.
    Anyway, it is no longer worth spending money to eat there; so we don’t.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2024
  11. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

We used to have Arthur Treacher's; it was the best IMO. Now we have Long John Silvers and Captain D's. We had Capt. D's a couple of weeks ago; they have a broiled whitefish and shrimp skewer dinner that is pretty good, though I like the fried, breaded stuff better. :D They also have fried okra... yummy.

12. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff

The only Long John Silvers near me are co-located with KFC. The same cashier takes your order for both of them. The fish there is horrible.

Don Alaska likes this.