Grizzly Bear Paw

Discussion in 'Pets & Critters' started by Diane Lane, Sep 17, 2015.

1. Diane Lane

Diane Lane Veteran Member
    Registered

Sometimes I see something so amazing that I feel compelled to share. This is one of those things. I ran across this on Facebook. I've never seen a bear up close, or even at a distance, other than in a zoo. I can't imagine holding something like this. Look at the size of the paw, versus the size of her hand and fingers. Those claws are humongous. https://www.facebook.com/7511267283...1126728349968/753630154766292/?type=1&theater

Ike Willis likes this.
  2. Ike Willis

Ike Willis Supreme Member
    Registered

That's why I slept with my rifle beside me when I was camped in the mountains in Montana and Idaho. I slept pretty lightly too.

Yvonne Smith and Diane Lane like this.
  3. Krissttina Isobe

Krissttina Isobe Veteran Member
    Registered

Diane Lane likes this.
  4. Diane Lane

Registered

I had no idea t here were Wallabys in Hawaii! It's so interesting to learn new things from y'all!

@Ike Willis No doubt, I had no idea they were that huge. I can't imagine encountering something like that out in the wild. I worry about the wild hogs here while I'm walking on the nature paths.

Ike Willis likes this.
  5. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

Most of the bear that we saw in idaho were just the smaller black bear; but even they are pretty large and tall when they stand up on their hind legs.
    One day, the kids and I were taking the garbage cans down to the dumpster and when we pulled up beside it to unload the cans, a huge bear that had been digging around behind the dumpster stood right up and was giving me a bad look.
    I told the kids to get back in the truck quick, and we left, full garbage cans and all. I gave that big old bear plenty of time to finish his dinner before we came back again to empty the garbage cans.

What part of Idaho and Montana were you in , @Ike Willis ?

Diane Lane and Ike Willis like this.
  6. Ike Willis

Registered

I roamed an area west of and between Missoula and Salmon. I had places marked on a topographical map so I wouldn't forget where I'd been, but I forgot the map when I left a camp. Was in Utah too. Would have liked to look that state over better.

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  7. Ike Willis

Registered

My family didn't fare too well with bears. My gramps remembered a cousin while he still lived in Slovakia. The cousin was home on leave from the army. He went off into the Tatra mountains with another fellow. They came across bear tracks in the snow and followed them to where they disappeared under a tree that had snow covering it like a tepee.

The other fellow started walking around the tree to see if the bear came out or was still in there. Cousin couldn't wait and poked the branches apart with his rifle. Bear killed him before his friend could get a clear shot.

Gramps said an uncle of his was traveling across the same mountains and while rounding some huge boulders, came face to face with a bear. The bear knocked uncle's rifle out of his hands and swiped him across the top of his head. Uncle played dead and the bear finally left after batting him around a bit.

The uncle's scalp was peeled back and hanging by a flap of skin at the back. He placed the scalp back on his head, tied his scarf over it and headed down the mountain toward the nearest village. There, someone sewed his scalp to his head and it took. Gramps said he still had hair when gramps left for America.

Diane Lane and Yvonne Smith like this.
  8. Ike Willis

Registered

Always hoped to one day go back to western Montana to live and prowl the Bitterroots, but that'll never be.

Diane Lane likes this.
  9. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

Although I lived in northern Idaho, I also worked as far south as Riggins when I was selling life insurance for Combined Insurance.
    It is some amazingly beautiful country down there, and huge mountains.

@Ike Willis....
    PS I have a friend who lives at Salmon, and she would love to have a roommate to go out riding on the 4-wheelers and maybe even kayaking on some of the lakes out near there.
    She has a swimming pool and a hot tub, and is a good cook , as well. So.....maybe.....? ?

Diane Lane likes this.
  10. Diane Lane

Registered

I love looking at nature on television. I wouldn't mind visiting, or maybe even living somewhere more remote than I do, but only if I had some money, and decent transportation. And, I'd want a better camera. Perhaps someday that will come to pass :).

11. Bobby Gnomy

Bobby Gnomy Veteran Member
    Registered

Ike Willis likes this.
  12. Ike Willis

Registered

Another Timothy Treadwell incident, in the making.

13. Bobby Gnomy

Bobby Gnomy Veteran Member
    Registered

Hopefully, won't happen.