Grit

Discussion in 'Reading & Writing' started by Ken Anderson, Sep 10, 2015.

1. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Veteran Member
    Registered

If you did not grow up in the rural United States, you probably haven't heard of Grit. It was a weekly newspaper, primarily covering topics of interest to farmers or those living in small towns in rural America.

I used to deliver Grit every Saturday when I was in elementary school, covering a twenty-mile area, and no, my parents seldom drove me; maybe once in a while when it was particularly stormy in the winter.

First published in 1892, Grit made a point of being optimistic in tone, publishing agricultural and rural news on a national level, human interest stuff, puzzles, and serial fiction. In fact, they had a special supplement for its fiction stories. There were sections for women and for kids, including a few pages of comic strips.

[​IMG]

Looking at past issues on eBay, it looks like they tried to become something like People Magazine in the 1980s, with a glossy magazine format and celebrities on the cover.

Since then, it appears that they have returned to their roots, with the same kinds of stories that they had before, only retaining the glossy magazine format, sort of like Whole Earth Magazine.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2015
    Yvonne Smith and Corie Henson like this.
  2. Corie Henson

Corie Henson Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

It's nice to reminisce the good old days particularly articles with matching old photos.

We don't have that here particularly because I am city-bred. But we used to have a community newsletter that details what's going on in our district. There was a time I was asked to write a short article about my studies - I was studying in an exclusive girl's school. What I wrote was the problem of going to and from school during the rainy season because our street is usually flooded and when the rains would continue pouring, the water is knee-deep. It was actually a sort of contest and my write up received honorable mention. Well, just a mention, because only the grand winner has prize money.

Ken Anderson likes this.
  3. Sheldon Scott

Sheldon Scott Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

I always looked forward to the next issue of Grit. There were always interesting stories. I haven't seen one in many years.

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  4. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

I first heard of Grit in the late 1970's, when my oldest son was in grade school. We lived in a rural community, and he started delivering Grit every week using his bicycle.
    People loved reading Grit, and he soon had a customer base that took him most of the afternoon to deliver. Since Grit always sent out a few extra papers besides the ones that he ordered and paid for; he had extras to leave more papers as samples and these people usually also started taking the paper once they had read the free sample.

We all looked forward to the bundle of Grit papers arriving, and there were articles and stories in there that everyone in the family enjoyed.
    It was also an excellent way for my son to make some spending money, and one that started his sales endeavors.

5. Ken Anderson

Registered

As a way of demonstrating the way in which we are followed online, when I created this thread yesterday, I added a screen shot of an old copy of Grit that was being offered on eBay. Today, I go to my Facebook page, and find this as a sponsored ad.
    [​IMG]

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  6. Joe Riley

Joe Riley Veteran Member
    Registered

Hey...it's never too late!;)
    [​IMG]

7. Ken Anderson

Registered

Yes, I made seven cents on each issue but I made way more than $6 a week, most of it from tips. I cleaned up on Christmas. I inherited the Grit route from my older brother.

8. Avigail David

Avigail David Well-Known Member
    Registered

Interesting! The latest trending and news reporting at the Grit look versatile, colorful, informative and family-friendly. Also, this American Rural Know-How accepts contribution from their readers to write in.