Green Smoothies, A Wonderful Way To Get Our Greens!

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by Yvonne Smith, Mar 30, 2017.

1. Babs Hunt

Babs Hunt Supreme Member
    Registered

Yvonne Smith and Chrissy Cross like this.
  2. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

Looks so refreshing and healthy!

Babs Hunt likes this.
  3. Babs Hunt

Babs Hunt Supreme Member
    Registered

That's what I thought too...besides looking and sounding delicious too! :)

Chrissy Cross likes this.
  4. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

Raw Family is the Boutenko website, and Victoria has a lot of great information on there. I also got her book (Green For Life) on Amazon, and read that, and it explains everything in depth better than is on the website.
    You can get a used copy of the book for $1+shipping, and that is how I got mine; but it is also available new and I think as an ebook.
    If you just do a search on the Kindle Store for green smoothies, there are free books with lots of recipes and information.
    I also follow Sergei's Youtube channel, and there are bunches of videos on there that I am going to start watching more of.
    Surprisingly, greens are one of the best sources of pure protein, and our body can use more of this plant protein than it can animal protein, so when you are adding more greens to your diet, you actually do not need much else to have enough protein.
    Sergei explains that in the video that i linked.

5. Chrissy Cross

Registered

What's surprising is with these green juices or smoothies even people who don't like veggies or anything green say they are good.

I love greens so for me it's easy to drink these but I've seen people who don't like veggies say that the green juice was tasty.

6. Babs Hunt

Babs Hunt Supreme Member
    Registered

I'll just find a few simple recipes on the internet and print them off. :) I love greens anyway and would eat them all the time but my problem now is that I just don't have the appetite I used to and it's hard for me to eat all that stuff now. But I don't mind drinking it...as long as I don't have to drink to many drinks per day.

7. Babs Hunt

Babs Hunt Supreme Member
    Registered

Yvonne Smith and Chrissy Cross like this.
  8. Yvonne Smith

Tonight I made the smoothest green smoothie ever ! My daughter got me a Vitamix blender, and that is just so powerful and in no time, it had my smoothie totally blended.
    I have also been adding some protein powder into some of the smoothies and it actually goes great with the fruit and the greens. Even chocolate was delicious !
    The smoothie that I made tonight had those superfood greens, some frozen (fresh) pineapple, a few grapes, plus a thin slice of lime, rind included. The lime covers up any "grassy" flavor from the greens, and gives it just that little bit of tartness.
    I also added some fresh mint leaves, and half a scoop of vanilla protein powder. It turned out really great, and was my first smoothie in the new Vitamix blender.
    I also found those blender bottles on sale at Walmart, and got one for Bobby and one for me. They hold 28 oz and come with a textured ball inside so that you can shake up the smoothie as you drink it and it keeps them from separating into fluff on top and juice on the bottom.
    They sell for $10-$15 onAmazon, but Walmart had them for about $4.50 here; so a big savings.

9. Hedi Mitchell

Hedi Mitchell Supreme Member
    Registered

Ummm, nope ... not on these lips... ya'll drink up now ya hear .:p

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  10. Chrissy Cross

Registered

Sounds good Yvonne, yesterday I made a batch of chia seed pudding because there was some at the Easter buffet
    We went to on Easter...it was so good!

I've done this before but quit and forgot about it but while shopping with my daughter at Costco she bout a 6 pack of unsweetened almond milk and gave me two to take home...I had the chia seeds.

While there she did make me a green juice with her juicer...yummy.

I've been lax lately with my healthy eating but I'm getting back on track...

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  11. Yvonne Smith

I totally understand what you are saying, @Gloria Mitchell , and it took me a while to actually convince myself that i was going to do this thing, too.
    No one ever just gets a craving for spinach, it just doesn't happen. Even Popeye ate his can of spinach when he knew he needed to be strong, not because he was craving the green stuff.
    Once I read the "Green for Life" book and realized how important it was to have greens (and more greens) in our diet, and also that even if we sat and ate salad all day long, we might not get enough nutrients from it to meet our requirements; then I started to decide that I needed to learn to like drinking the stuff, even if it was GREEN (and sometimes a really UGLY green, at that).
    To actually get all of the vitamins and minerals from greens, they should be eaten raw, and then chewed and chewed until they are soup in your mouth. that is a LOT of chewing, and of something that lacks all of the flavor of pizza or apple pie. The cell wall of the green plant/leaf has to be broken down before we can actually digest it and get the nutrients, and either blending or juicing is about the only way that happens.
    Since doing everything I can do do keep my heart (as well as the rest of my body) working as good as it can, is of primary importance in my life , here I am learning to drink my greens every day.
    At first, I had to close my eyes to be able to drink the green stuff; but now I don't mind the color anymore and just remember how healthy it is for me.

12. Yvonne Smith

I have been reading about chia pudding, and also chia jam, and I intend to try making some of that myself soon, @Chrissy Cross . Even though I am staying away from bread, and other flour products, I do like the keto-bread that is made from almond or coconut flour and flax meal. I think that having some of that with a fresh fruit chia jam might be a great snack or even a breakfast food sometimes.
    I did try putting some in my green smoothie; but then it made it so thick, I had to eat it with a spoon, and it is much easier when I can just drink it down.
    I also got one of those shaker bottles that has the little weight in it, and that way I can keep the smoothie mixed up and not separating in the container.
    The lid fits tight, and I just give it a few swirls before each drink.
    IMG_0436.JPG

Last edited: Apr 19, 2017
  13. Chrissy Cross

Registered

Chia jam sounds good, I'll have to look it up. Thanks.

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  14. Yvonne Smith

There are lots of recipes on the internet, Chrissy. some called for cooked fruit, and some prefer raw. Since you lose most of the nutrients when you cook a fruit or veggie, I am going to make a raw fruit jam and see how that goes.
    This recipe is pretty simple, just mixing up the fruit and chia seeds and letting it set up and absorb the liquids from the berries; but I am pretty sure that (somewhere) I also saw recipes that called for putting it all in the blender and then you have a smoother jam, and do not see the chia seeds in it. You can add whatever sweetener you want to almost all of the recipes.

http://naturesnurtureblog.com/easy-raw-strawberry-chia-jam/

15. Chrissy Cross

Registered

I think that raw strawberry chia seed jam looks good...and easy.

Yvonne Smith likes this.