Great Bible Study Website

Discussion in 'Faith & Religion' started by Laura Jones, Dec 4, 2021.

1. Denise Evans

Denise Evans Supreme Member
    Registered

I haven't ever read from first to last James. I am pretty sure there are books I have touched on either, but biblestudies have helped me a lot "in person" bible studies" to get to talk about what I've read, and hear other's understanding of the scripture. Sometimes I would disagree but not argue with anyone, and just depend on what I believe the Holy Spirit is teaching me. I know my hardest times are when I am not sure it's my brain, or God teaching me.

I've always thought, since I was saved, that if I will just let go and let God do the teaching, I will be better off. Sometimes I have to wait awhile before I "get it", and know it's from Him ;)

Ken Anderson and Laura Jones like this.
  2. Samual Yoder

Samual Yoder Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

I got saved or walked the sawdust trail when I was 12 when I sneaked out and want to a Baptist revival tent meeting, been reading the scriptures ever since guess I've read the bible cover to cover at least a dozen times by now, most I understand some of it the understanding is still locked from me at this point. It is the scriptures that kept me from joining my Amish community and got me shunned and treated as an English, but when one has to make a choice of believing and being loyal to the scriptures or ones community guess the choice is easy to make no matter what hardship may come at least I was not cruicified....

3. Denise Evans

Registered

Hi Samual,

I enjoyed your reply, and how you came to the Lord ;) What drove you to sneak out and go search for God? I ask because sometimes I get sad that I didn't come to know Him earlier in my life. It didn't even occur to me when I went to Sunday school a couple of times with the neighbor kids that went. I thought Jesus was a guy that died on a cross, and it was to help people 2-thousand years ago. Had no idea it was for me too. When I turned 33 I met people in AA, and I stayed there for 15 years hearing about God, but God could be anything or anyone you chose. I was blessed to meet a Christian that got me going to church, but didn't actually become born-again until 5 years later.

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  4. Samual Yoder

Registered

I read the scriptures, I had to sneak doing that too. I wandered away from my parents at Farmers Market and bumped into an English guy handing out free gospel of book of John so I took it and started reading it cause my bible at home was written in German which I nor my parents neither spoke nor read we relied on our preacher telling us what the scriptures said and from what I read in that gospel of John he was lying to us. so when I read of the revival being held I sneaked out and wanted to hear the gospel in person to see if the spirit would speak to me and the spirit did and that is what caused all my problems at home, the scriptures were right again when it declared your own family would turn again you in the last days for staying loyal to God instead of their tradition this is what caused our Savior's problem he would not bow to his party line and they hated him for it so he told us ahead of time if they hated him they would also hate us.

5. Denise Evans

Registered

You had such a powerful calling Samual. I don't know what that would be like, but God doesn't call everyone in the same way I guess. One thing for sure, I am looking at this Christmas differently than I have the last couple of years, and I mean the true meaning of Christmas. I'm glad I got in on this thread and thanks for telling part of your story. One more thing, Jesus was clear about who His real family was, and for those that don't know about that, He really wasn't saying He didn't love and respect His mother, but He did say "Mark 3:31-35
    31 Then Jesus’ mother and brothers came to see him. They stood outside and sent word for him to come out and talk with them. 32 There was a crowd sitting around Jesus, and someone said, “Your mother and your brothers are outside asking for you.” 33 Jesus replied, “Who is my mother? Who are my brothers?” 34 Then he looked at those around him and said, “Look, these are my mother and brothers. 35 Anyone who does God’s will is my brother and sister and mother.”

That's who our family is Samual :) made perfectly acceptable because of our Savior and Lord Jesus.

6. Samual Yoder

Registered

Better rethink that born on Christmas fairy tale, there is no way our savior was born in December, https://weather-and-climate.com/ave...fahrenheit,bethlehem-ps,Palestinian-Territory. As you can see it is too cold in December for shepherds to be out in the fields with their flocks just another tradition that is false.

7. Faye Fox

Faye Fox Veteran Member
    Registered

Actually, lambs are born in that area of the world in December and January. The idea that the shepherds were out in the fields with their sheep at night also agrees with lambing season. Night temperatures that stay well above 40 F would be no problem for lambing.

What day Christ was born should be irrelevant to Christians since the importance is his death.

Denise Evans likes this.
  8. Samual Yoder

Registered

I agree the scriptures focus on his death not his birth, if his birth was so important scriptures would have made a point to include that info within its pages.

Denise Evans and Faye Fox like this.
  9. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

When I was in ministry in Seattle, I fought tooth and nail against the idea that any computer program would or could replace my hard cover library of reference materials but alas, I was in error to some degree.
    I can’t remember if I simply happened upon the program or if someone introduced me to it but Rick Meyers’ program called E-Sword is to me the epitome of what a good library should entail.
    Multiple Bible stylings with comparative options, Strongs, Dictionaries, Daily Studies, Notes, multiple commentaries and comparative options and the list goes on.
    Basically, there’s about $10K+ worth of hard cover in a free computer program.
    Note: Free NIV is unavailable with E-Sword because of the copyright restrictions.

Note 2: My method of verse and full scripture study is to perform an expository which reveals the most important words or phrases in a piece of scripture.
    In order to do that one has to “leave no stone unturned” so obviously I’m not afraid of using study guides, lessons, lexicons etc but one does have to be picky and use only those guides that are not denominationally biased.
    And yes, BibleStudyLessons.com is an excellent source.

C

Ken Anderson and Denise Evans like this.
  10. Bobby Cole

Task Force Registered

True, so far as the Savior’s birth goes the emphasis shouldn’t be When Jesus was born but moreover the fact that Mary “knew” no man prior to His birth.
    If not for that fact then the eventual sacrifice He made would have been meaningless. He was indeed born, “not of blood, nor of the will of flesh, nor of the will of man but of God.”

Denise Evans likes this.
  11. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I've read a little about this before. Astronomical events around the time of Herod that could account for the star of Bethlehem would be the most accurate determinate of date and the time of year. They cite two possible comets that may have been it. I believe the events occurred a few years either side of the year traditionally ascribed to Jesus' birth, and both were in the spring (meaning Jesus may have been crucified on his birthday, which I find to be interesting.)

I guess we all know how the winter solstice was selected as the day of observance (Man corrupts everything.) I find it interesting that Jehovah's Witnesses do not celebrate Christmas (since it is not Biblical.)

Denise Evans and Bobby Cole like this.
  12. Bobby Cole

Task Force Registered

Traditionally, Jehovah’s Witnesses do not celebrate any holiday but they will celebrate their wedding anniversaries.

Not to be irreverent but since I have yet to discover a sound Biblical reason for it, one would imagine that the wife Charles Taze Russel (founder of JW) might have had something to do with that particular celebration being kept. :)

13. Denise Evans

Registered

Oh no, not getting into this argument, I simply celebrate Jesus birth on December 25th and I'm pretty sure God isn't concerned about that as much as He is about souls being saved. I believe I should celebrate Him being sent to live among us every day, but I fall miserably short of that.

14. Denise Evans

Registered

E-sword!! I'd forgotten about this one and used to use it often Bobby! Thanks for the reminder! These days I use blueletterbible.org. Just got used to is, but I'm going to see about E'sword again.

Bobby Cole likes this.
  15. Bobby Cole

Task Force Registered

I think as John pointed out, there is no Biblical reason for a day set aside to celebrate the birth of our Savior. If anything, Jesus only asked that He be remembered via what we call Communion. “Do this in remembrance of Me”.

Now, that doesn’t mean that I do not enjoy celebrating His birth on a certain day set aside for that special purpose but in actuality, there’s no Biblical precedence for it.

Don Alaska and Denise Evans like this.