Great Bible Study Website

Discussion in 'Faith & Religion' started by Laura Jones, Dec 4, 2021.

1. Laura Jones

Laura Jones Well-Known Member
    Registered

Just to share a wonderful new find for folks that are interested in Bible study, I have recently found a website that offers a free Bible study that is clear and easy to follow. There are also many other features on the site such as worksheets, PowerPoints and quotations, here is the site….
    Biblestudylessons.com

2. James Hintze

James Hintze Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

How many people have read the Bible first page to last page without the "help" of "Biblestudylessons?"

Denise Evans likes this.
  3. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I have 3-4 times with a study Bible and with a non-study Bible, and have read it again a couple of times out-of-order with the aid of a study guide.

It's a lot easier with a study Bible/guide that puts each book in context (author, audience, historical context.)

4. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

Why so hostile? She was only offering a suggestion for anyone interested.

5. Don Alaska

Don Alaska Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

I, too, have read it several times, and the New Testament even more. I generally avoid many of the study guides, as they present their own prejudices with Literary Criticism and such. You can get the historic and social background separately, then you won't be getting the slant the study programs wish to present. It is also best to read a direct translation form the original texts, even though it is quite awkward, unless you are familiar with Classical Greek and Hebrew...and perhaps Aramaic.

Bobby Cole, John Brunner and Faye Fox like this.
  6. Faye Fox

Faye Fox Veteran Member
    Registered

I have read the bible several times and several different translations without study guides. The thing I look for with any study guide is what church sponsors it? The study will always be slanted to their interpretations. Study guides can be helpful but also confusing if you compare guides from different denominations.

I don't agree with the preachers that teach that the bible is too difficult to understand without the help of a bible scholar or their guides.

John Brunner and Don Alaska like this.
  7. James Hintze

James Hintze Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

I didn't mean for my comment to be hostile. If it seemed so, I seriously apologize.

8. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff

I have. From the first to the last page once, but I have read most of the rest of it several times, piecemeal. In fact, I wrote out the first four books of the Bible in longhand many years ago. I still have it around somewhere, as I came across it the last time I moved into another room.

I think the only way I could stay awake through Leviticus and Numbers was to be physically doing something.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2021
  9. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff

That's a common mistake on forums. I have both misunderstood and been misunderstood more than once. Body language and voice inflection adds a lot to genuine conversations, and these things are missing in text.

10. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff

If I wrote out Genesis by longhand, I'd have to buy myself a "begat" stamp.

Regarding interpreting the intent of comments: only the reader has the benefit in imbuing tonal inflection. It's not only happened to me on forums, it used to be an issue with my emails at work. I tend to write things in a factual manner to get data out quickly, and more than one person has replied with "Why are you made at me?" even though I had no such intent.

11. Denise Evans

Denise Evans Supreme Member
    Registered

It's funny how people read things so differently, as I didn't see @James Hintze comment in the least hostile.

Mary Stetler likes this.
  12. Denise Evans

Registered

I believe unless one has the Holy Spirit living in them, the bible would be very confusing. I didn't see this mentioned anywhere, so thought I'd add it since I've never forgotten these words:

Corinthians 2
    6However, we speak wisdom among those who are mature, yet not the wisdom of this age, nor of the rulers of this age, who are coming to nothing. 7But we speak the wisdom of God in a mystery, the hidden wisdom which God [c]ordained before the ages for our glory, 8which none of the rulers of this age knew; for had they known, they would not have crucified the Lord of glory.

9But as it is written:

“Eye has not seen, nor ear heard,
    Nor have entered into the heart of man
    The things which God has prepared for those who love Him.”

10But God has revealed them to us through His Spirit. For the Spirit searches all things, yes, the deep things of God. 11For what man knows the things of a man except the spirit of the man which is in him? Even so no one knows the things of God except the Spirit of God. 12Now we have received, not the spirit of the world, but the Spirit who is from God, that we might know the things that have been freely given to us by God.

13These things we also speak, not in words which man’s wisdom teaches but which the [d]Holy Spirit teaches, comparing spiritual things with spiritual. 14But the natural man does not receive the things of the Spirit of God, for they are foolishness to him; nor can he know them, because they are spiritually discerned. 15But he who is spiritual judges all things, yet he himself is rightly judged by no one. 16For “who has known the mind of the Lord that he may instruct Him?” But we have the mind of Christ.

13. Laura Jones

Registered

Exactly Denise! Before I was saved I couldn’t understand much of the Bible, after I accepted Jesus Christ as my savior my eyes and heart were open and I’m understanding so much more than I had ever understood before and Scripture calls me to live my life following the Holy Spirit….praise be to God!,, I also enjoy my Bible studies as it keeps me saturated in the Word which is so satisfying for me…..again I thank God for his merciful grace. ❤️

Bobby Cole and Denise Evans like this.
  14. Denise Evans

Registered

Bible studies have always been my fave part of church Laura, and it has always helped to hear others "take" on scriptures. I remember the very moment I was saved because the scriptures I looked at right after made sense to me for the first time, just like you. I wouldn't want anyone reading this to get the idea I feel myself perfect now, far from it, but I do believe through Christ (Him living in me through His Holy Spirit) I am made worthy before the throne of God. I also believe fully in the Trinity, and some might say "it's not in the bible" not the word, true, but the meaning of the word is.

I also looked at the website, and Pratte sounds pretty good in his bio. I think I'll see if there are any videos of him and listen as well ;)

Bobby Cole and Ken Anderson like this.
  15. Laura Jones

Registered

It’s hard to find the words when you find someone who’s been similarly impacted by the grace of God as we both have been, what a verification of God‘s presence in our lives….❤️