Gravity

Discussion in 'Movies' started by Frank Sanoica, Mar 26, 2016.

1. Frank Sanoica

Frank Sanoica Supreme Member
    Registered

Has anyone seen, and might care to comment on, this movie from a few years back? Shuttle mission marooned in space, cannot be recued. Frank

Denise Evans likes this.
  2. Von Jones

Von Jones Supreme Member
    Registered

If you are talking about Gravity with Sandra Bullock in 2013. I saw it and was disappointed.

Terry Page likes this.
  3. Linda Binning

Linda Binning Veteran Member
    Registered

Was it the one with Tommy Lee Jones and Clint Eastwood and some other actor? Space Cowboys. I watched it because my daughter loves Tommy Lee Jones so we watch most of his moves together. It was a pretty good movie I guess. Like Von Jones I also didn't care much for Gravity. I got bored. I prefer to laugh if I'm going to devote 2 hours of my life to something.

Von Jones likes this.
  4. Sifu Phil Bonifonte

Sifu Phil Bonifonte Veteran Member
    Registered

I remember seeing it. Don't remember too many details except of course Bullock floating around in her skivvies. :D

Okay, another thing I remember is the feeling of isolation and fear that she felt.

5. Terry Page

Terry Page Supreme Member
    Registered

Yes I saw it at the cinema in 3D when it came out, and apart from the special effects I didn't really rate it at all. :(

6. Diane Lane

Diane Lane Veteran Member
    Registered

I didn't think I would like it, so I put off watching it. I eventually saw it about a year ago, and was actually surprised that I thought it was a good movie. I can't say I enjoyed it, because it was uncomfortable, of course, imagining being in that situation, but I did think it was pretty compelling. A friend had recommended it, they have watched it several times and really enjoy it, so it appears to be a matter of taste.

Frank Sanoica likes this.
  7. Von Jones

Von Jones Supreme Member
    Registered

I like Sandra Bullock and that's the only reason why I watched Gravity. I only watched it once on Vudu.

Linda Binning likes this.
  8. Frank Sanoica

Registered

A scene appeared very early on when I was a kid, in which an astronaut became "loose" outside the craft, and began drifting away, very slowly, to never be seen again, of course. Scared me out of my wits, I was about 10 or so. In the movie, they used tanks of pressurized gas, I think, letting out little "jets" to propel themselves about. Also, I believe they had magnetic shoes, which "clung" to the outside of the spacecraft, and made "clunk clunk" sounds as they walked. One can only imagine what a horrible death would ensue, expiring within a spacesuit eventually running out of oxygen. Like drowning.

One of the Sci-Fi's I recall, which might have contained the described scene, was "Destination Moon", a topic for my this evening search. If you happen to know the movie, please let me know! Frank

Linda Binning likes this.
  9. Von Jones

Von Jones Supreme Member
    Registered

Sorry, this movie was before I was even thought about being born but I did look at a movie trailer. I recall a lot of the Twilight Zone movies about travelling to the moon or Mars or just space flights which had those scenes (it took me four x to get that word right).:oops:

10. Frank Sanoica

Registered

Turns out, it was indeed Destination Moon. I was only 8, and that memory of using a pressure tank was in the movie. But, no one perished. Guess that was another flick!

[​IMG]

11. Denise Evans

Denise Evans Supreme Member
    Registered

I liked the story, and the special effects were good imo. I think it teaches me something, these types of movies. I think some of these movie-makers are spot on about the humanness, and what it would be like to keep going, no matter what, don't give up.

Frank Sanoica and Terry Page like this.