Grandfather's Bike...

Discussion in 'Other Reminiscences' started by Oracle May, Jun 12, 2015.

1. Oracle May

Oracle May Veteran Member
    Registered

My grandfather lived and worked on the mines in South Africa. He always rode a bicycle wherever he went. I remember they bought him a car, but he did not like it and never drove it.

When I visited him during the school holidays, he would take me for a bike ride after work each day. I remember he would let me sit on the handlebars, while he pedaled away. We would go up and down the streets. I still remember looking up at the very tall trees with autumn leaves. They were so beautiful. I really enjoyed those bike rides!

Sometimes, on a Sunday, we would dress up for Church. I would sit on the handle bars, all dressed in pink, with my pink church hat and off we would go. Goodness, what a site we must have been arriving at the church! My grandfather was really a fit and a strong rider. He could keep going for miles and those hills never stopped him. His pedaling pace was something to see! He could probably have won many a cycling competition in his day. What fun I had on that old bike that always looked like it was brand new.

Allie Seay and Yvonne Smith like this.
  2. Joe Riley

Joe Riley Supreme Member
    Registered

3. Corie Henson

Corie Henson Veteran Member
    Registered

This thread reminds me of an uncle with a scooter. That scooter is like an extension of his body. It is strange to see him riding in another vehicle. He has 3 sons and it was unfortunate that we have no photos of those times when his entire family was on his scooter, i.e. his 3 sons and wife too. He works in the newspaper as a photographer and that scooter served him very well especially when gasoline prices shot up. If I am not mistaken, Vespa is the brand of his beloved scooter.

Allie Seay and Joe Riley like this.
  4. Allie Seay

Allie Seay Veteran Member
    Registered

A Vespa was the first scooter my husband ever owned. He bought it with his paper route money as a young boy and then used it to do his route on. He rode it everywhere back then and it was his first in a long line of motorcycles. A Vespa is also what the meter maids rode in downtown Memphis when I was a tiny girl. I loved to watch them zipping by on those scooters. I finally got my own scooter three years ago. It's not a Vespa, though I would like to have one. It is a Honda Reflex. It goes quite a lot faster than a Vespa and I need that around here. The highway in front of our place has become a fright since the truckers discovered it about ten years ago.

Corie Henson likes this.