Google Earth - Where Are The People?

Discussion in 'Gadgets & Tech Talk' started by Yvonne Smith, Dec 24, 2016.

1. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

We don't worry about the satellites or airplanes either, @Frank Sanoica . Sunbathing in the summer is what summers are made for, and the little backyard pool is where Bobby and I spend the afternoons. Since we do not have a secure privacy fence (although we are pretty invisible from the road); we do have to wear swimming suits, but even so , we manage to get plenty of sunshine.
    It seems to me that I have actually seen people in the Google street view; and I didn't check that one and look down our street, just the regular google earth.
    It is odd that some things seem to be perfectly clear, and others, like some of the vehicles, are totally distorted and look like they have been cobbled into the picture.
    When I look at the google maps, it shows actual photos, and not garbled up ones, but it doesn't zoom in as close as the Google Earth one does, either.

2. Holly Saunders

Holly Saunders Supreme Member
    Registered

It seems they have no problem showing images on Google Street VIEW...(sometimes the faces are blurred)...but it's actually Google EARTH, that there seems to be no people at all...

Yvonne Smith and Denise Evans like this.
  3. Denise Evans

Denise Evans Supreme Member
    Registered

Hi @Holly Saunders Google Earth is what I have, I haven't looked lately, since I saw this thread I mean. I guess I'm confused but let me look around my app. I open Google Earth, then I drag the little, yellow man down to see which streets are in blue, then I drop him where I want to look. I don't recall seeing people that much, but I do see them and cars on streets. I am not seeing Dead People though thank goodness (line from The Six Sense, lol).

Von Jones likes this.
  4. Holly Saunders

Holly Saunders Supreme Member
    Registered

Usually if you're dragging the little man and dropping him and the view is very sharp and clear that's Google Street View..rather than google Earth Denise, you can see people clearly but sometimes faces are blurred and car registration plates..... Google earth tends to be more map/ariel view style...and rarely do you see actual people...:) just streets , houses, cars...but a bit blob like... parks etc..

5. Denise Evans

Registered

The whole App or program, depending on your device, is called Google Earth though?? I never noticed the view from "up above" being called Google Earth;) I have to go in and look, I'll do that Holly so I know what you guys are talking about;)

6. Yvonne Smith

Here is a screenshot of the google earth view of a street, @Denise Happyfeet . You can see the blue car on the right side looks odd, and the picture just does not look like a photograph. Since the view is looking down from above, the tops of the trees all look strange, too; but I think that is just because of the way the pictures are taken.
    IMG_0156.JPG

Holly Saunders likes this.
  7. Denise Evans

Registered

That doesn't look like my Google Earth at all? Maybe I didn't get the APP, I can with win 10 but I think I just downloaded the program. This one is called "street view" @Yvonne Smith ? Let me look again.

Ok, here's my "street view"

unnamed.jpg

8. Yvonne Smith

Yes, street view is different. It is the regular google earth that is from straight up and has the odd look. You can see how the tree branches do not even look like trees in the yards. It might be because it is taken by a plane and so it is moving when they take the pictures a whole lot faster than the google car that does the street view is going.
    When you open google earth, you will see a world globe, and then it zooms in and looks down from overhead. Then put in your street name, and it will fly to your street and look down on that from above.

Holly Saunders and Denise Evans like this.
  9. Denise Evans

Registered

Yep, that's it gals, I think, mines not the app, it's the program or application, .exe.

google earth.PNG

10. Denise Evans

Registered

Right, but mine never looks that way I think because you have the APP and I am still using my application or .exe program;)

11. Denise Evans

Registered

Yeah, when I just zoom into my address, it doesn't even get the detail yours has, I see now. Mines called "ground level" but it isn't as good as your shot. I always use the little man to show me the blue streets first, then I see all clearly. Do you still have the blue Streets with yours? If the streets aren't blue, then Google hasn't made any shots of it from Street level, on mine anyway.

12. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff

146katahdin-aerial.jpg
    The aerial view shows my house, including my wife's white 2013 Ford Focus and my 2002 Chevrolet Tracker in our back yard. This image was a recent one, as she bought the Focus less than a year ago. Judging from the trees, I'd say it was from this past fall.

146katahdin-street.jpg
    Zooming in to street view, it shows a truck full of wood chips passing by our house, on the left.

146katahdin-house.jpg
    In street view, I can turn the view to show the house itself. However, this view is at more than two years old, judging from the political sign from the 2014 election.

13. Denise Evans

Registered

this really is the best forum we have going for seniors. I went over to my first one I belonged to because someone asked about me. Lots of good people still there I see, but I think it's the size that makes it less homey. Sorry totally off track, had to say that somewhere so here it was;)

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  14. Denise Evans

Registered

Yours is just like mine @Ken Anderson what's goin on?? Is there a difference between the App and the .exe?

15. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff

I don't know. I have a Mac, so what I have is an app.

google-earth.png

Last edited: Dec 26, 2016
    Denise Evans likes this.