Going Postal

Discussion in 'Not Sure Where it Goes' started by Janice Martin, Feb 29, 2016.

1. Ever since I moved into this zip code district, I've had ongoing problems with mail delivery. Recently, though, another problem has come up on top of it: tracking info for packages does not proceed beyond "shipment accepted," and I never know its whereabouts until it ends up in my mailbox. In other words, the post offices are not scanning the packages when the packages leave their 'facilities.'

The last time this happened, I tried to contact the post office where the info stopped- Melrose Park, IL. Their phone was out of order. Currently, I'm waiting for a package last known to be in the Providence, RI post office- no updates since it arrived there on Feb. 24.

Is anyone else having these problems- or possibly have a solution?

2. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

I can usually track a package and all it's stops til it's delivered. I did have a problem once saying something was delivered and it wasn't. Then I call the company.

It just seems that post offices are not doing a very good job these days. Think it might be cut backs. My post office is a nightmare. Line goes out the door on a regular day.

Ruby Begonia and Janice Martin like this.
  3. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

Usually, I don't have trouble tracking packages until the day before they arrive. For some reason, probably to save money, UPS has begun leaving packages with the post office rather than delivering them to my door as they used to, so I get them the following day from the post office, and not from UPS. I forget now what the tracking says, but it's not clear what has happened to it.

Ruby Begonia and Janice Martin like this.
  4. Frank Sanoica

Frank Sanoica Supreme Member
    Registered

Time to add our woes, too! Aside, Fed Ex is leaving packages with USPS; so far not UPS, that I know of. What the decision-making folks did wrong where we presently have settled, was take a thorofare name, Mt. View Rd, for example, and name very numerous right-angled side streets with those words: Mt. View Drive, Cove, Circle, Oval, Lane, every possible thing preceded by Mt. View. Think how hard delivering mail is! We are on a Circle, two blocks away there is a Cove; we get Cove's mail often, and vice-versa.

Overall, after a lifetime of mailing experiences, I can say unequivocably that I have no idea how USPS possibly does as well as they do. Lately, though, it has indeed gotten more unreliable.

Janice: tracking info stopped at Melrose Park? Small wonder. We used to swim at Melrose Park Pool; it's Illinois, whaddaya expect? ;) So far as our limited experience goes, tracking has been pretty good, and accurate. Frank

Janice Martin likes this.
  5. Lara Moss

Lara Moss Supreme Member
    Registered

I sell on ebay so I have a little experience with this. I always choose "First Class" when I mail anything. It arrives as quickly as "Priority" but for less money. I have never had a problem with tracking. I mailed something "Standard" once and it took longer…the tracking wasn't complete either. That was the only time that happened. My advice, for what it's worth since I know things may be different elsewhere, is to mail everything "First Class". Good luck :)

6. Thank you all for the input, I really appreciate it!

7. Krissttina Isobe

Krissttina Isobe Veteran Member
    Registered

I never had any problems with my mail at all until just recently too. I ordered a little nylon sports wrist watch replacement band. It said free shipping so I jumped at it for my plastic watch band broke and my tape just broke for it too. I put my watch aside and waited for my replacement watch band to arrive. It didn't arrive as specified. I contacted the seller at amazon.com and they said it's impossible for them to trace such a small package, so they refunded me and said if it arrived I can have it. I told them thanks so much, but if it arrives I'll pay for it. Well two weeks after we contacted each other the little package arrived a bit dinged, but not opened or ripped. It was only 3"x3" so you can imagine how little it is, so I figured it got a bit wedged in between the mail somewhere and got discovered lately. I contacted the seller and they graciously say it's mine and don't need to pay for it! How nice it was and I use the little replacement watchband daily now and it's so comfy. No one but Sears had it for a very expensive price that I did not want to pay and found it on amazon.com! Good luck on receiving your package. I always use the magic phrase with sellers "looking forward to working with you to solve this situation."

8. Jenn Windey

Jenn Windey Supreme Member
    Registered

USPS now has a contract with Amazon and delivers most of the stuff that is shipped from Amazon, even on Sundays. In some instances the journey might begin with Fed Ex or UPS, and then it is passed off to USPS. This has been going on since at least last fall. the contract happened because USPS has a much larger availability of employees and vehicles then any other delivery company in America. the downside is that this now has increased the amount of items that USPS has to deliver beside the mail. The company seems to be hard pressed on bringing in additional people at the rate the delivery demands has increased. I heard over the Christmas holiday that the shipping portion had increased by 30%.

If you think back to 2014 when it was UPS and FedEx the Christmas deliveries were terrible, many things did not make it in time. Hopefully USPS gets their act together and keeps the contract, it just might be what they need to get back in the green territory. Only time will tell. As far as very little packages go, I can tell you from first hand experience what happens. Those packages are sorted with the mail and magazines and sometimes just like Krissttina said, they get stuck in other pieces o drop down between items and are missed. When they turn up they go back in the queue and the process starts again for delivery, this can slow these deliveries down by days. Amazon doesn't care because these are usually low value items they would replace or give your money back. For them it is still win win and much cheaper then dropping prices or advertising more. On Sunday deliveries the carriers are told to leave packages, even if they are not secure because Amazon is trying very hard to grow the market as a any day of the week delivery with the Amazon Prime memberships. They can afford to take the risk someone will steal the package.

9. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

That's what I'm seeing in the tracking. It starts out with UPS and ends up with USPS. But it can get all the way across the country via UPS in one day, and then take a couple of days to travel across Maine via the USPS, and the tracking falls off once it passes into the hands of the USPS. Overall, I have had more packages delivered by UPS than USPS, but a much greater percentage of damaged stuff from USPS. I get packages from the post office that look like someone had used them as footballs or doorstops for a while before delivering them.

10. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

Buying something on Amazon, I'm surprised at the quick delivery and they even come on a Sunday if they have to, I've seen it at my daughter's house. Also, last delivery is around 8 PM. I've seen them come twice in one day to my daughter's. I think that's pretty amazing.