Godless

Discussion in 'Movies' started by Ken Anderson, Aug 24, 2018.

1. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

Godless

Godless is a fairly bleak Western miniseries centered around a New Mexico mining town populated almost entirely by women, left alone when a mine collapse killed most of the male population.

There are some strong characters, including the lesbian mayor of the town, who turned out to be one of my favorite characters in the show. I'm sure there's a socially manipulative reason for her being such a likable character but, be that as it may, she plays the part well.

In a sense, it's a feminist Western, as several strong characters are women, but there are also men who occasionally save the day.

There are a lot of powerful characters and twists, where even the worst character in the show has moments when a touch of humanity shows through.

Other characters are introduced and seem to be groomed to play a significant role in the show, only to be summarily killed, having served no real purpose other than to add character interest.

Produced in 2017, it's a Netflix series so some of you may have already seen it. I just watched it for the second time, I'm not sure why, but it was still interesting the second time around.

One observation that I have to make, and I'm pretty sure that if I were to spend the day reversing the show over and over again, counting and recounting the numbers, I'd find that I was right, is that the math seems to be wrong during the big shoot-out near the end.

Just guessing at the numbers here, but it seems to me like about forty bad guys ride into town, thirty of them are shot about three-quarters of the way through, but they still have fifteen or twenty left.

Although Godless is a full series, with a beginning, a middle and an end, there is some talk about a second series with the surviving characters, probably produced more like a sequel than like a season two.

Chrissy Cross and Bill Boggs like this.
  2. Bill Boggs

Bill Boggs Supreme Member
    Registered

I've seen this but haven't watched any. I'll have tocheck it out. Thanks.

I have added two or three to my "intend to watch."
    BTW, son and grandson have been watching, "the Office. I watched the first episode and wanted to fire the office manager. Son & son thought it funny. I didn't. Anyone elselook in on this Netflix series?

Last edited: Aug 24, 2018
  3. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

I'm not that into westerns but one with women in the lead I might enjoy, I'll check it out later.

4. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

She's not the main character but she's one of the main characters.

Chrissy Cross likes this.