God Mode?

Discussion in 'Faith & Religion' started by Denise Evans, Apr 27, 2016.

1. Denise Evans

Denise Evans Supreme Member
    Registered

Joe Riley likes this.
  2. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I probably should be, but I wouldn't have thought of it. They've had God mode since at least Windows 7, although it wasn't readily known. That is a term that's been in use for years. Even before the Internet, when I ran a computer BBS, the BBS Sysop could access the games in what was called god mode, which meant that you could go anywhere and do anything, without having to actually play the game. That was used to troubleshoot problems that users might be having with the game, and that carried over to computer games, some of which allowed players to access the game in god mode, which had the same effects.

For example, in Wolfenstein, you could travel through all the settings without having to actually play the game or be subject to being killed along the way. In that case, it was a cheat, probably to encourage people to actually buy the game as opposed to playing against someone else on their version of the game, since, if you went through the game in god mode, you would know where everything was so you wouldn't have to search, and you'd have a better idea as to what the dangers were. So those who owned a copy of the game had an advantage over those who simply played against someone else on their copy of the game.

As for being offended, they could avoid that someone by putting "god" in lower-case rather than upper-case but, of course, political correctness doesn't apply to Christians. It's okay, and often even desirable, to offend Christians.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2016
    Joe Riley likes this.
  3. Joe Riley

Joe Riley Supreme Member
    Registered

I just created this godmode folder in windows 7, and it appears to be a glorified Control Panel.