Gmo Myths

Discussion in 'Science & Nature' started by Corie Henson, Aug 15, 2016.

1. Corie Henson

Corie Henson Veteran Member
    Registered

The smear against GMO is getting out of hand so maybe the New York Times came out with their own study which resulted in a list of GMO myths. Let me start with the square (it is actually cube in shape) watermelon that is being sold in Japan. Rumor is rife in the social media that the cube shaped watermelon is GMO - genetically modified organism. FYI, that shape of watermelon was acquired because they are grown in a box.

There are other items but I leave it to the article for your perusal. Here is the link -
    http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2016/07/12/science/gmo-misconceptions.html?_r=0

2. Sheldon Scott

Sheldon Scott Supreme Member
    Registered

I don't believe anyone ever said square watermelons were the result of GMOs. It's true many companies like to deceive the public by adding labels such as "Gluten Free" to products that never has gluten to begin with. But that has nothing to do with the effects of GMOs.
    One thing the article mentioned was making soybeans resistant to weedkiller. That is exactly what we DON'T want. Weedkiller being sprayed on crops means we are going to be eating weedkiller.
    I saw nothing in the article to change my mind about GMOs.

Martin Alonzo and Yvonne Smith like this.
  3. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

My reply has nothing to do with GMOs but I want a square watermelon. I'm sure they're expensive but wonder if they taste good?

At least it doesn't roll around. :)

Sheldon Scott likes this.
  4. Martin Alonzo

Martin Alonzo Supreme Member
    Registered

The article in the New York Times is to confuse you to not wanting labelling because it is not needed everything is perfectly safe just take you insecticide and shut up. GMOs have been proven unsafe but they try and slip in the idea it is the same as natural. I remember when my mother would put the flour through the sifter to look for bugs and when she found on she knew that it was good flour and not been sprayed by insecticide. Well the corn and soya in the US if any insects eats it they will die and they think that is a good idea. That same poison which affects insects also effects humans but it takes a little longer that a three month study.

Sheldon Scott likes this.