Glasses & New Or Newer Car Headlights

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by Cody Fousnaugh, Dec 24, 2017.

1. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

If you wear prescription glasses and drive at all at night, do the headlights of new/newer vehicles bother your eyes? The headlights of these vehicles seem to be much brighter than ever before, almost like everyone has their high-beams on.

It's not so bad on the freeway, but is bad. But, on streets, WOW, talking about bright and blinding. I can drive, but darn near have to pull down the sun visor to do it. I do 99% of night driving since my wife just don't like driving at night. We don't do much night driving, but when we do, those darn highlights are something else!

What do you think. Age related again?

Holly Saunders likes this.
  2. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

I never saw well at night, even before I started needing glasses which was about 6-7 yrs ago. Now I avoid night driving.

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  3. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

As long as I drive, we are fine. But, when driving somewhere on a vacation, we never/ever drive all night, like some do. We generally stop at a Holiday Inn Express or someplace like that, just before the headlights have to come on.

4. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

Even before the newer halogen lights were popular, it was hard to see when being approached by a vehicle that had their bright lights on, regardless of whether a person was wearing glasses or not. The halogen lights made it even worse.
    I have never liked driving at night either, although I used to have to do a lot of that back when I was an insurance agent and traveled every week.
    Now, we rarely drive after dark, and try to miss the high-traffic hours as well. We plan as much as possible to drive from mid morning, to mid afternoon when we have to schedule something like a doctor appointment, and be back home again before the evening rush hour starts.
    I think that wearing glasses could cause an additional reflection, and make the bright lights seem even worse. I do not think that this is just because we are getting older, although that probably does not help either because our eyesight is probably getting worse as we get older.

Chrissy Cross likes this.
  5. Babs Hunt

Babs Hunt Supreme Member
    Registered

They make yellow lens that cuts down on night time glare...and just glare period. My Honey has a pair of these yellow lenses that he puts over his regular prescription glasses when the sun is to bright, etc.

If you check online you will see they help with nighttime driving glare too.

6. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

For a while, they were making some very bright, bluish, headlights that were blinding but I think they can no longer sell them, although I still come across them from time to time. Otherwise, I don't have trouble. My wife hates driving at night though, and since we work from our computers, we usually call it quits at about 5:00 or 6:00 pm and find a hotel room, which gives us time to get some work hours in while traveling.

7. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

Will definitely check out those yellow lenses. I've got a pair of shooting (Range) yellow safety glasses. Are they anything like the ones I have?

8. Babs Hunt

Babs Hunt Supreme Member
    Registered

I don't really know the answer to that Cody...but I'm sure you can find the answer on the internet. :)

9. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

Kind of amazing, but I put on the yellow plastic shooting glasses I have last night coming home from Christmas Eve Service, and all the white bright lights turned yellow. I couldn't believe I was being "blinded by the lights" like it use to be. However, will look for the clip type ones. My wife tried the yellow shooting glasses on and was amazed as well.

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  10. Babs Hunt

Babs Hunt Supreme Member
    Registered

Do mean the yellow lenses helped so you weren't blinded Cody?

11. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

Yes.

Babs Hunt likes this.
  12. Babs Hunt

Babs Hunt Supreme Member
    Registered

Good. :) Merry Christmas and a Blessed New Year to you and your wife. :)

13. Bill Boggs

Bill Boggs Supreme Member
    Registered

I have a pair of those yellow clip on glasses that advertise they help with night driving. They help me, not only with oncoming traffic, also surrounding areas. They are a good assist to me.

Babs Hunt likes this.