Gingerbread Cookies ( Biscuits )

Discussion in 'Recipes' started by Kate Ellery, Dec 3, 2022.

1. Kate Ellery

Kate Ellery Supreme Member
    Registered

I have to honest I’ve never made gingerbread cookies or a gingerbread house for Christmas
    I’ve just been looking online for recipes and now I’m confused
    so it may be I don’t make them this year either .
    Some melt butter and golden syrup and add to dry ingredients

Some cream butter and sugar then add Molasses

so anyone on here make Gingerbread ? What do you use ?

Of all the recipe books I have there’s not one recipe for gingerbread

So you may ask what is golden syrup ?

Though golden syrup looks like honey, it's a completely different type of sweetener made by inverting sugar during the refining process. In essence, golden syrup is just water, sugar and citric acid that come together in a way that forms a thick liquid used in baking and to sweeten foods

2. Kate Ellery

Registered

Golden syrup

2F5F6707-2CCF-44CB-B06A-B15717397BD4.jpeg

John Brunner and Don Alaska like this.
  3. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

Kate--I haven't made gingerbread in years, but as I recall I used to use molasses. I'll dig in my recipe box to see if I can find it. In the USA, we don't have "golden syrup" unless the store has a British foods section; as far as I know we don't have an equivalent but use corn syrup or light molasses instead.

4. Don Alaska

Don Alaska Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

When our kids were home, we made gingerbread houses every year. The children enjoyed decorating the houses every year and they ate the candy decorations as soon as it was allowed. By the end of the season, the gingerbread was too hard and stale and the goats absolutely loved their winter treat. I think we used molasses just as @Beth Gallagher did.

What we call cookies, you call biscuits. I asked an Irish friend if he called the cookies or biscuits, and he said in Ireland, what we call cookies are called biscuits except for chocolate chip/Toll House cookies. Those are called cookies in Ireland. I assume because they were introduced into Europe by the Americans during the World Wars.

John Brunner and Kate Ellery like this.
  5. Marie Mallery

Marie Mallery Veteran Member
    Registered

First time I heard a cookie called a biscuit was Hyacinth on British program 'Keeping Up Appearance's'.

Don Alaska and Kate Ellery like this.
  6. Marie Mallery

Registered

Haven't had gingerbread in years. I like the cookies.

John Brunner and Kate Ellery like this.
  7. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I've never made the houses. I used to make ginger cookies with real grated ginger root, and I'd let the dough sit in the fridge overnight. Somewhere along the line I lost the recipe.

8. Marie Mallery

Registered

John I have some ginger in the fridge I just cut up yesterday, maybe I will make some cookies. I've never made ginger cookies before, but I have made many other kinds,

9. John Brunner

Shred it on a microplane grater if you have one. Incorporate the juice.

The ones I made had no molasses. They were ginger cookies, not gingerbread cookies. Man, I need to dig for that recipe again.

Marie Mallery likes this.
  10. Marie Mallery

Registered

I prefer the ginger over the gingerbread because of carbs.

John Brunner likes this.
  11. Marie Mallery

Registered

I have a little electric chopper shredder that I use for most thing. It holds the liquid in it too.,

Kate Ellery and John Brunner like this.
  12. Don Alaska

Don Alaska Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

ginger snaps, @John Brunner?

John Brunner and Beth Gallagher like this.
  13. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

Kate--here's the recipe; I'm not sure how this dough would work for making a gingerbread house; it may be too soft.

Gingerbread Men Cookies
    Ingredients

• 10 Tablespoons (2/3 cup; 145g) unsalted butter, softened to room temperature
    • 3/4 cup (150g) packed light or dark brown sugar
    • 2/3 cup (160ml) unsulphured molasses
    • 1 large egg, at room temperature
    • 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
    • 3 and 1/2 cups (438g) all-purpose flour (spoon & leveled)
    • 1 teaspoon baking soda
    • 1/2 teaspoon salt
    • 1 Tablespoon ground ginger (yes, 1 full Tablespoon!)
    • 1 Tablespoon ground cinnamon
    • 1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
    • 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
    • optional: cookie icing or royal icing
    Instructions
    1. In a large bowl using a hand-held mixer or stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, beat the butter for 1 minute on medium speed until completely smooth and creamy. Add the brown sugar and molasses and beat on medium high speed until combined and creamy-looking. Scrape down the sides and bottom of the bowl as needed. Next, beat in egg and vanilla on high speed for 2 full minutes. Scrape down the sides and bottom of the bowl as needed. The butter may separate; that’s ok.
    2. In a separate bowl, whisk the flour, baking soda, salt, ginger, cinnamon, allspice, and cloves together until combined. On low speed, slowly mix into the wet ingredients until combined. The cookie dough will be quite thick and slightly sticky. Divide dough in half and place each onto a large piece of plastic wrap. Wrap each up tightly and pat down to create a disc shape. Please see photo and description above in my post. Chill discs for at least 3 hours and up to 3 days. Chilling is mandatory for this cookie dough. I always chill mine overnight.
    3. Preheat oven to 350°F (177°C). Line 2-3 large baking sheets with parchment paper or silicone baking mats. Set aside.
    4. Remove 1 disc of chilled cookie dough from the refrigerator. Generously flour a work surface, as well as your hands and the rolling pin. Roll out disc until 1/4-inch thick. Tips for rolling– the dough may crack and be crumbly as you roll. What’s helpful is picking it up and rotating it as you go. Additionally, you can use your fingers to help meld the cracking edges back together. The first few rolls are always the hardest since the dough is so stiff, but re-rolling the scraps is much easier. Cut into shapes. Place shapes 1 inch apart on prepared baking sheets. Re-roll dough scraps until all the dough is shaped. Repeat with remaining disc of dough.
    5. Bake cookies for about 9-10 minutes. If your cookie cutters are smaller than 4 inches, bake for about 8 minutes. If your cookie cutters are larger than 4 inches, bake for about 11 minutes. My oven has hot spots and yours may too- so be sure to rotate the pan once during bake time. Keep in mind that the longer the cookies bake, the harder and crunchier they’ll be. For soft gingerbread cookies, follow the suggested bake times.
    6. Allow cookies to cool for 5 minutes on the cookie sheet. Transfer to cooling rack to cool completely. Once completely cool, decorate as desired.

14. John Brunner

No, it's kind of a sugar cookie base & consistency that's made from ginger powder. Of course, I have to complicate it. But the fresh ginger really makes a difference. Now I gotta find that recipe. I can't imagine I shoved it in a cookbook I only use during the holidays.

15. Kate Ellery

Registered

I’ve got a Christmas only cookbook it save shuffling through those pages we tear outta magazines and granny’s hand written recipes :):D

Thanks @Beth Gallagher

Me to @Marie Mallery I’ve got a small chopper I got from Aldi it holds about 2 cups it’s one of the best things I’ve ever bought