Ginger Chews

Discussion in 'Food & Drinks' started by Ken Anderson, Mar 10, 2017.

1. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Veteran Member
    Registered

Lately, I have been enjoying ginger chews. I can't get Gin-gins locally, but they are available from Amazon.com. The ingredients are simple, and I like that: cane sugar, ginger, tapioca starch.

There is the original Gin Gins, as well as Gin Gins Spicy Apple, Gin Gins Peanut, and Gin Gins Super Strength but, so far, I have tried only the original flavor. Gin Gins also makes other candies, but I haven't tried any of the others. They sell a variety bundle, but I don't think I'd care for the peanut flavor so I might try the spicy apple sometime, but I think I'll pass on the variety bundle.

gin-gins.jpg

The first ginger chews I tried were Chimes Ginger Chews, and they are probably just as good. I found them in a store somewhere in Maine, although not in Millinocket, and I don't remember where.

Chimes makes an Original flavor, Mango, Orange, Peanut Butter, and Peppermint. The peppermint sounds good, but I haven't tried that. The ingredients on the Chimes brand are the same: cane sugar, ginger, tapioca starch. The flavored branded add natural orange flavor, natural mango flavor,
    etc.

Ginger chews are perhaps an acquired taste. They are a little hot, sort of a peppery taste, but not really, and certainly not in a painful way. They are very good, in my opinion. They are individually wrapped, which is good because it keeps me from eating them too quickly.

chimes.jpg

2. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Veteran Member
    Registered

Is it a hard candy? I'm not a fan of hard candies. I do like sour patch kids though but I don't buy them because I can eat a bag easily. That's really the only candy I like.

3. Ken Anderson

Registered

No, it's a chewy candy. A little firm at first but it softens up quickly enough. Probably the consistency of a Tootsie Roll, if you remember them. I rarely eat candies, and I only eat two or three of these in a day. Maybe a little chewier than a Tootsie Roll. Somewhere between a Tootsie Roll and Bit O' Honey.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2017
    Chrissy Cross likes this.
  4. Chrissy Cross

Registered

Yes, remember tootsie rolls....sounds like it would stick to your teeth...no?

5. Babs Hunt

Babs Hunt Veteran Member
    Registered

I love the picture of the first bag of Gin-Gin chews you posted Ken...I would probably by the cutie bag even if I found I didn't like the chews. :p

6. Ken Anderson

Registered

No, they don't stick to my teeth. That was a major problem with Bit O' Honey, as I remember. The Chimes brand is made in Pomona, California, while the Gin Gins are a product of Indonesia.

Chrissy Cross likes this.
  7. Babs Hunt

Babs Hunt Veteran Member
    Registered

Do they do anything for your health, or are they just a healthy chew? :) I know ginger is supposed to be good for you.

8. Chrissy Cross

Registered

I think it's just ginger flavor....I read some of the reviews. Some did say it helped with stomach and nausea issues.

9. Ken Anderson

Registered

Cane sugar, ginger, and tapioca starch, in that order.

10. Babs Hunt

Babs Hunt Veteran Member
    Registered

That means cane sugar is the #1 ingredient...not so healthy for your teeth. :)

11. Ken Anderson

Registered

It is a candy, after all.

12. Babs Hunt

Babs Hunt Veteran Member
    Registered

Yes, I know. And at our age we should enjoy all the candy we can. :p