Gifted Hands -- The Ben Carson Story (2009)

Discussion in 'Movies' started by Frank Sanoica, Mar 6, 2016.

1. Frank Sanoica

Frank Sanoica Supreme Member
    Registered

I watch very little television. Early this evening, my wife called my attention to this movie, interestingly made one year after Obama began his Presidency. I did not watch much of the candidate proceedings the last year or so, but recall early on, reading a news report quoting Carson. I told my wife then, everything he said made sense. Might make a good President. Please, if opposed to the thought, it's now unimportant.

Has anyone watched this movie, or recall seeing it when it came out? Your impressions? I watched the first half, but decided to cut-out, as if I did not, I would have no time to be doing this, writing in the forum, far more important to me than the T-V!

Frank

Last edited: Mar 6, 2016
    Chrissy Cross likes this.
  2. Frank Sanoica

Registered

Kind of an add-on: I pledged earlier to refrain from entering political debates or frays, questions thereof, or opinions relating to. I am now going back on that position, only one time, mind you. Several things emerged in my little mind, regarding Ben Carson. I had not heard of his life-story movie before. Maybe because in 2009, we were remotely located in Missouri, far from the "scene", no cell service, very limited (dial-up) internet.

My thoughts center around the fact that, rarely, is a Hollywood movie produced about someone of notable value, until after that person is gone. Ben Carson was still practicing Neurosurgery then, in 2009.

He certainly should have received decent compensation for allowing the unfolding of his social climb, no? But, aside from that, why would he have wanted his unlikely background displayed to the general public? Maybe, back then, he saw a publically-acclaimed revue of his life as a valuable tool to acquaint the vast majority of Americans with who, and what, he was? Maybe, a reason for that, a thought of running for the Presidency?
    Now, why would such a humble, self-sufficient man do that? Only reason I see, is that he truly felt the possibility existed for an individual like himself;, existed to re-mold the fabric of American Society. He surely is not possessed of egotistical reverence building up his image of himself. Becoming a "historical figure" of notice? Doubtful, IMO. In a speech, he revealed the incident of attempting to stab a classmate; why would he have done that, if not totally intent on revealing himself to the public?

Lastly, IMO, Ben Carson does not deserve the existence he would encounter in the White House, as an "outsider politician"; he is far too prolific a MAN to be classified in the listing of ilk recently holding that office. And, the experience would likely deny him the retirement enjoyments he richly deserves. IMO, past holders of our Presidency have hardly been on a level above "dubious", several ensconced with "sleazeball" qualities.

I regard today's U.S. political "arena" as a showplace revealing the pitiful worst of candidates' qualities. So, I risk becoming SOF's most hated poster. So be it. So I see it, so I'm disgusted by it, so I have spoken. Maybe I'll regret it. Only until I log off. Frank

3. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

If I am understanding you correctly, I agree that our political area more closely resembles mud-slinging than actually being able to judge whether a candidate would make a reasonably good president or not.
    The debates, egged on by news media moderators intent on building their own career, seem to focus on trivial things, and outright lies some of the time.
    We hear about the sins of the candidates, whether they were actually true or not, and people watching the debate are getting really tired of this, from what I can see.

If there are good things about any candidate, it never seems to come out in the debate, and even when the candidates are actually asked decent questions about an important subject, they often go off on a tangent, and never actually answer the question.
    We have watched the Reepublican debates, and some of the Democratic ones, but it seems less worthwhile each time one is aired.

As far as Dr. Carson, and the movie, I had not heard that the book was made into a movie, which is not surprising, since I seldom watch television.
    I think that (from what we have seen of him) that Ben Carson seems to be the most honorable person who is in the presidential race, I think that what he says makes sense, and he seems to be a kind and gentle person.
    However, I just can't see him as our president.
    He can't even stand up for himself in the debates, and get a word in; so how can we expect him to stand up for us as a nation ?
    I wish that all we needed was a gentle man like Dr. Carson to lead our country; but with all of the wars and manipulations going on in the world today, I think we need someone who can forcefully speak up for us in the world arena.

PS, @Frank Sanoica , you are always welcome to give us your thoughts in the political threads. We do not all agree about everything; but we do present our opinions in a laid-back and congenial manner, and you are welcome to do the same.

Bonnie Thomas likes this.
  4. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

I didn't see the movie or read the book, but when he first came on the scene I thought he would make an excellent President. I was really excited about him but as time went on I have changed my mind.

5. Bonnie Thomas

Bonnie Thomas Veteran Member
    Registered

That is also where I found him lacking in the traits of a world leader. He may have much to offer, but he keeps it inside.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2016
    Yvonne Smith likes this.
  6. Babs Hunt

Babs Hunt Supreme Member
    Registered

I saw the movie last year on Netflix and enjoyed it very much. He's a good man and I felt that if he did become President all those sharks would tear him to pieces in no time! :(

7. Mari North

Mari North Veteran Member
    Registered

Nope, I don't think this is going to happen,@Frank Sanoica ... many of us feel the same and have stated it here. It's like a pathetic circus of clowns and the few who may have brought some class back into the arena were eaten alive.

From the very first time I heard about Ben Carson, I thought he'd be exactly the kind of president we needed to help begin the healing process (OH! Doctor... healing... I hadn't even thought of that before I just said it now!) I never foresaw it reaching a point of where it is now. I thought a Trump run was a joke and he was playing around. I thought after Obama, most people would want ... well, no... skip that. hehe See, I can behave. :oops:

And I thought that after all of the discoveries of Hillary's deceit, she'd be in jail by now. I'm not very pleased at all with what is happening and has been happening. And there have been tears for my beloved America. "We the people" seem to be on the same page but can't do a stinkin' thing about this snowball heading to Hades rapidly. :(

Linda Binning and Frank Sanoica like this.
  8. Frank Sanoica

Registered

@Yvonne Smith : ....."but with all of the wars and manipulations going on in the world today, I think we need someone who can forcefully speak up for us in the world arena."

This is not implying that we have had that, now, is it? Rather what we need, in the future? I believed something was terribly wrong, when I saw our President kneeling down to kiss the fingers of the King of Saudi Arabia.

Frank

Yvonne Smith and Linda Binning like this.