Getting Things Done When You Can't Hear

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by Lon Tanner, Sep 12, 2017.

1. Lon Tanner

Lon Tanner Supreme Member
    Registered

If you think it is easy then I challenge you to go 48 hours with out phoning, listening to TV or talking to anyone.
    I am patting myself on the back for finding ways today to get things done that were important and needed doing. Thanks to email, texting, transcribed voice messages This was possible. I still prefer hearing as do most of us.Hopefully I will have some of it restored after November.
    http:www.thoughtsandtravels.blogspot.com

Patsy Faye and Hedi Mitchell like this.
  2. Hedi Mitchell

Hedi Mitchell Supreme Member
    Registered

Hang in there Lon , Nov. Just around the corner :).

3. Patsy Faye

Patsy Faye Supreme Member
    Registered

Here's a pat on the back from me too :)

4. Holly Saunders

Holly Saunders Supreme Member
    Registered

Have you completely lost your hearing now @Lon Tanner ? are your hearing aids not working? I'm sorry if that's the case

I grew up in a family where all the paternal side were deaf and mute... No such thing as texts, emails, and transcribing services in those days.. I learned BSL before I could talk....

I would hate to be deaf, but my family all were born that way, and didn't know any difference, and they just got on with life, and held down full time jobs and had active social lives and families . Only on the very odd occasion would they come and ask for the help of one of us as a translator, usually to represent them with something official...

Good luck with the return of some your hearing in November, it's amazing how we take things so much for granted until they're no longer there..

5. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

TBH I think I'd rather lose my hearing than my eyesight. When I'm in Fresno and home alone...I could go a week without hearing if need be.

TV and Netflix all have CC. I usually only text anyway. Prefer it to phone conversations.

I wouldn't hear Pickles barking but he can communicate other ways.

Glad you're getting your hearing fixed soon though but in today's world it's not that hard.

I also knew some people that were deaf since birth and they did just fine before all the modern technology.

6. Shirley Martin

Shirley Martin Supreme Member
    Registered

I read @Lon Tanner 's post last night. I never really paid much attention to my hearing before. Like most of us, I took it for granted. As I was getting dressed this morning, I heard the soft swish of my clothes. I heard the gurgle of the coffee maker as it brewed. I heard the sound it made as I poured it in my cup. I heard the tinkle of the spoon as I stirred it. I heard the mockingbird singing his happy sound outside. Then I thought how sad it would be to never hear those sounds again; never hear my beloved music again. Or the sound of Bubba's laughter.

@Lon Tanner , I truly hope you can get your hearing restored.

Hedi Mitchell likes this.
  7. Hedi Mitchell

Hedi Mitchell Supreme Member
    Registered

Being deaf from birth...is bit different than going deaf later on. Deaf at birth usually many of your other senses are heightened to help you cope. Going deaf as we age or like me due to previous illness, your other senses just are not at tbeir peak either.

8. Holly Saunders

Registered

Good point!!...pity those who are deaf and blind tho'... :(

9. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

True but I'd still rather be deaf than blind.

10. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I used to have very good hearing. I could hear what my son was saying to his friends in his bedroom upstairs while I was downstairs with the television on. Recently, I have noticed that my wife generally sets the radio about two clicks lower than I can comfortably hear it. I know that it's on but I have to concentrate in order to hear what's being said.

11. Shirley Martin

Shirley Martin Supreme Member
    Registered

My DH had hearing like that, @Ken Anderson. If I was in the other room talking on the phone, he could hear every word. But, let me ask him to do something, he went totally deaf. :D

12. Holly Saunders

Registered

You see, my family all same the same thing..they'd rather be deaf than blind, they're horrified at the thought of not seeing faces, colours, everything that's going on around them, to be unable to read, and now use a computer , being unable to get around easily etc...

OTOH, I have had 2 Blind friends'...one is now long passed, but without a shadow of a doubt they preferred being born blind to being deaf...as they both said , to not hear their children's voices, conversations generally, to not hear music, or being able to hear birds singing, and all the noises of life.

It's all about what you've never had you don't miss I suppose.

Chrissy Cross likes this.
  13. Babs Hunt

Babs Hunt Supreme Member
    Registered

It's been said that you can't miss something you've never had...but I'm sure that having had hearing like @Lon Tanner did makes it very hard to live without that hearing now. I hope those implants help you "hear" again too Lon.