Getting Ready For Winter

Discussion in 'Home Improvement' started by Sheldon Scott, Oct 28, 2015.

1. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Veteran Member
    Registered

Heating is sort of a matter of life or death here, and our electricity costs are high. Despite the fact that many of our rivers are dammed for hydroelectricity, most of them are owned by Canadian companies who sell the electricity generated to Canada. We have a hydroelectric dam within a couple of miles from us but we have to buy our electricity from Bangor, with added transport costs.

Chrissy Cross likes this.
  2. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Veteran Member
    Registered

That sucks! Gas and electric isn't cheap here either...costs are always rising...plus we live in a state that you really don't have to use it all the time.

My winter bills are low..spring and fall also low but summer is a killer.

I paid $100 last month for gas and electric...my daughter paid $900! Last time I was there, I didn't turn on the gas fireplace for Pickles in the morning. :)

People are complaining in the neighborhood app about PG&E and they're also complaining about solar...something going on with that but I don't understand....For some reason that seems to be tied in with PG&E And solar isn't cheaper.

3. Ina I. Wonder

Ina I. Wonder Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

Days of old, each utility only offered one choice with which to purchase their product. Now, there are several companies to choose from for each utility necessary to run a household.

There is no Houston Lighting and Power Co. anymore, but I have about five different companies vying for my money, and clogging up my mailbox every day. Remember Ma Bell? I can't even tell you how many phone services are out there nowadays. So much for the Paper Reduction Act, and yes I have a large mailbox at the edge of the road.

In today's world, in this this country, to be able to live off the grid, you better have some money, or be willing to live in conditions of 100 years ago. :)

4. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Veteran Member
    Registered

Well the company that installed my New A/C unit just left after doing their free maintenance check up and changing my filter...I get one more free visit. These two were included in with the price of the unit.

After that it's $168 a year for 2 checkups....anybody know if this is a fair price?

I just also found out that they also do plumbing, I need a plumber because my garbage disposal quit working, so I'll call them instead of my another plumbing company I've used.

I also just finished writing a good review on Yelp for them...they were really nice guys. Dave just started a week ago and his wife is expecting a baby next week. He said he liked my house :)

5. Ted Richards

Ted Richards Well-Known Member
    Registered

We have the best of both words as far as cooling and heating goes. We put in a whole-house A/C system a few years ago and for a few dollars more, we upgraded to a heat pump system with a digital thermostat. Nothing very exotic about it, just an ordinary A/C unit outside with a small accessory unit installed inside our existing high-efficiency gas furnace. When I select cooling the A/C unit comes on and the heater fan circulates cooled air. When I select heating the A/C unit reverses and collects heat from the outside air and the heater fan circulates it throughout the house. This system works well down to 20F but isn't very efficient below 35F.

In cold weather we just use straight natural gas heat. Five years ago we used the heat pump a lot for heating in cool weather because our electricity rares were absurdly low and natural gas prices were high. Our situation is reversed now; natural gas prices are low and electricity rates are much higher so we use gas.

6. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

We have one of the central heat and air units; but the. Vents need to be fixed because most of the hot/cold air just dissipates underneath the house and not into the vents. We do use it some; but we have the small window AC in the living room and one in the bedroom for the summer.
    In the winter, we use those electric heaters in the bedroom and living room, which are the main rooms that we are actually spending much time in most of the time.
    This week, we have been doing the fall cleaning and painting while the weather is perfect for having the doors and windows open. Bobby has cleaned and painted the walls and celiling in both the living room and kitchen, which seem to be the rooms that gather dust the most.
    We ordered a large drape for the living room window, and it is one that bocks out light, heat, or cold; so when the drapes are shut, it should help with keeping the house either warmer or cooler, depending on the weather.
    We shuffled the living room furniture around, and I have been busy shampooing the carpets as we moved things around. This is a good time of year for this because spring and fall are about the only times when we can have the doors open and let in fresh air.
    The new drapes are awesome, and they are sort of like a wall mural that makes it seem like we are looking outside when they are closed, and they are on rings so it is easy to open and close them.

802322DC-16CD-4691-8B83-E627ACF64EB5.jpeg

7. Tim Burr

Tim Burr Well-Known Member
    Registered

I was going to do a thread about ' It's time to check you Heating Unit, Winters coming...'
    glad people are thinking about it now when the weather is still warm and the companies aren't swamped
    with 'No Heat' calls.

Also, since @Chrissy Cross mentioned it, here's something to check if your disposal stops working.

8. Ted Richards

Ted Richards Well-Known Member
    Registered

I have a short list of things to bring indoors that I've posted in my shop and I always check the seals around both entry doors and storm doors. Those seals take a beasting and must be replaced or repaired before winter to save on heating.

9. Babs Hunt

Babs Hunt Veteran Member
    Registered

I used to have to get ready for winter by pulling the totes out of the closet and taking the winter clothes out of them, and then repacking those totes with our spring and summer wardrobe. A few years ago I decided to down size our wardrobe too, getting rid of clothes that we never wore and not replacing articles of clothing until we actually need them. Now our walk-in closet has plenty of space for our year round clothes and saves me time and energy by having no more different season clothes totes to pack and unpack each season.

I also used to have to do pretty much the same thing for our bedding. I had winter comforters and spring and summer light weight quilts and blankets all stored and packed and unpacked according to seasons too. But now I layer our bedding and add or subtract a cover according to the weather and my extra covers are folded on a shelf in the closet instead of packed away in a tote. I do have one extra heavy comforter packed away in a tote up in the attic just in case our heating system would go out and it would be really cold over here. This hasn't happened yet but if we live long enough I'm sure this scenerio may happen some winter and we will be ready for it.

Where we live in Louisiana the winters are mild compared to alot of other places. But we do get some freezing temperatures and a few below freezing ones too most winters. My husband feels the cold alot more than I do now that we are older and we used to not be able to agree on what temperature to leave our thermostat on. If he set it I would be to hot, if I set it, he would be to cold. A few years ago I bought him a small space heater for him to use when he was in the livingroom. That heater has been such a blessing to both of us as now he can have the temperature he wants in the livingroom and I can also be comfortable while I'm sleeping in the bedroom. Part of getting ready for winter is making sure that space heater is still working properly so we can continue to enjoy no more fussing over the thermostat. :)

Holly Saunders likes this.
  10. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

Northeastern Florida is known to be the coldest area in Florida during so-called “Florida winters”. In fact, on Christmas Day 2010, it was snowing in our complex! I seen something coming down, looking out the living room window. Went out front and it was snowing! Ran and got the video camera, zoomed in on the trees and, sure enough, snow was coming down pretty heavily. Didn’t stick, but was definitely coming down. Wife and I were totally amazed. Found out that, some years before, snow had fallen on the beach in Daytona Beach.
    Anyway, unlike when we lived in Colorado, very little to do here in preparation for winter. We do put away the shorts and t-shirts and bring out the jeans and long-sleeve shirts. Bring the coat rack, with some “winter” type coats on it, and put in the corner of the dining room. Our winter parkas, from Colorado, stay in the closet. Get the vehicle window frost scrappers out. Bring the fireplace tools in from our garage and have store-bought fire logs ready. Since living here, we’ve seen some winter daytime highs in the mid 40’s. We never/ever thought it would get that cold here!
    Also have to take every thing out of boat and either drain both sides of the boat block or “winterize” the boat. Have done both. Take both batteries out and take home to keep recharged. Put both new cockpit cover and full cover on.
    Have a month or so before all of this has to be done.
    And, can’t forget that wife gets her electric throw out and ready.

Just think, we are making plans, and doing some packing, to move back to where “Old Man Winter” really hits....the northern part of the Eastern Slope/Front Range of Colorado or perhaps the southeastern corner of Wyoming. Oh Boy!!

11. Shirley Martin

Shirley Martin Veteran Member
    Registered

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  12. Holly Saunders

Holly Saunders Veteran Member
    Registered

WOW!! @Yvonne Smith , those curtains are amazing...I've never seen anything like that...

Yvonne Smith likes this.