Getting Ready For Winter

Discussion in 'Home Improvement' started by Sheldon Scott, Oct 28, 2015.

1. Sheldon Scott

Sheldon Scott Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

Something to do on those cold winter days. I just ordered several new jigsaw puzzles.

Brittany Houser likes this.
  2. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Veteran Member
    Registered

I used to do jig saw puzzles many many years ago, Sheldon. Most recently with one of my grandsons...the others arent interested. Maybe the youngest one will be as he already is a wiz at the childrens puzzles.

Did a 3 D one of the world with my 11 yr old grandson last Christmas, was fun but eyes were starting to hurt.

Winter here is a whole different animal since its finally cool enough to do things around the house that I just dont feel like doing in the summer....cooking for one! Im looking forward to a few of my favorite comfort foods.

Sheldon Scott likes this.
  3. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

I remember a few puzzles that my wife put together and I glued/framed for our walls. But, now that we have the Wii Game and other things to do... no more puzzle making.

4. Krissttina Isobe

Krissttina Isobe Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

:oops:Guess you don't like television much so you got some jigsaw puzzles? We played jigsaw puzzles before and enjoyed them too. The hardest was the one we got that had 1000 pieces of a golf course that had lots of cucumber shaped pictures for the background and was mostly all different shades of green. That took over a month to put together with the help of me, Mom, Grandpa, my friends, and customers that dropped by while our family run store was open. The customers had smiles on their faces as they watched the puzzle take shape finally. I like the puzzle when it was finished and we promptly glued it to the back of a big cardboard and never ventured to take it apart and play it again.

Sheldon Scott likes this.
  5. Sheldon Scott

Registered

Yes, Krissttina, I don't like those with so much of the same color. We never glue ours, we work them several times. When we are working one we keep it on the dining table and stop by and try to put in a few pieces whenever we feel like it.

6. Sheldon Scott

Registered

We watch TV a lot, too much I'd say. While watching TV we are looking at and listening to the show. When working a puzzle we can actually talk to each other.

7. Sheldon Scott

Registered

Still getting ready for winter. We spent most of the day bringing plants inside. Some into the house others into our makeshift greenhouse.Some of the big plants (actually small trees) are really getting heavy. Our Tabasco pepper plant is two years old and 6 feet tall. If I dig it up and put it in a pot that will add at least another foot. Still, if I can make room I'm going to try and save it another year.

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  8. Corie Henson

Corie Henson Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

I have no idea of winter until I went to China this January. With the zero degree temperature, I got a good glimpse of what winter is all about. Maybe if there is winter here, I would stock up with snack foods because it would be heaven to stay inside the cozy room with something to eat while watching tv or surfing the internet. However, since I have a daytime job, that would only be a dream and I'm glad that we have no winter here because I cannot bear to stay in a cold place for too long.

9. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Veteran Member
    Registered

It's been close to 70 degrees here the past couple of days. During the day, anyhow; it gets a bit cooler at night.

10. Ike Willis

Ike Willis Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

Always liked winter. No insects, snakes, grass to mow nor wearing sweat soaked clothes all day.

Mike Dobra and Chrissy Cross like this.
  11. Ken Anderson

Registered

I loved it, but that was when shoveling snow was fun and I didn't have to pay the heating oil bills. Not so much anymore, but I don't hate it.

Ike Willis likes this.
  12. Brittany Houser

Brittany Houser Well-Known Member
    Registered

That's what I enjoy too...jigsaw puzzles! Last winter was interesting for us. I missed a total of 8 workdays, and almost ran out of food! I won't be so unprepared this year. I am going to stock up on puzzles, books, canned goods, toilet paper and pet food in November! I look forward to hunkering down! LOL

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  13. Tom Locke

Tom Locke Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

Temperatures in Scotland are still around 14 Celsius, so it's still pretty mild. This is becoming quite commonplace - it was well into December last year before we had to put the central heating on.

14. Sheldon Scott

Registered

As long as we have puzzles, books and food everything will be fine. Especially the food. We can rework puzzles, reread books but gotta have lots of food.;)

Brittany Houser and Ike Willis like this.
  15. Hannah Davis

Hannah Davis Active Member
    Registered

Love this time of year, it's a bit nippy in the air but not too cold. I think the fall is my favorite time of year. The air is cool and believe me after the summer I had that is very much a welcome change. Also, unlike the spring which also has a pleasant temperature there are very few insects and the plants aren't blooming. That's the problem with spring too many bugs and allergy issues. Anyway welcoming November although, I know this weather won't last too long winter is on the horizon but I can cope with that a whole lot better then the summer. Seriously, I still don't know how I got through this past summer, the heat and humidity were brutal.

16. Ruby Begonia

Ruby Begonia Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

It is getting cooler here in New England, but not too much. I only had the heat on a few times. As for jig-saw puzzles, I don't have the room anymore in my small condo.

I will admit, I am also too addicted to TV !

17. Ken Anderson

Registered

It was in the mid-40s and raining today, and tomorrow is supposed to be much the same. A lot of our snow has melted.

18. Steve North

Steve North Veteran Member
    Registered

We have had our fair share of snow and we also had some colder weather..
    For the coming week or so, we are going into our January thaw which means daytime temperatures will be above freezing every day..

19. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

We have actually moved some of the flowers back outside for the next week or so, since the weather is supposed to be as warm as in the 70's, and then dropping down to the 50's by the end of this month. As long as it is this warm, it will be good for the plants to be outside and get some sunshine and fresh rain instead of being in the house. Every year, it is the project of spring and fall to put the plants outside for the summer, and then bring them back inside before it gets too cold in the fall.
    I imagine we will have more of the cold weather before winter ends; but at least now , the weather is great.

20. Ken Anderson

Registered

I thought we were pretty well ready for this winter and, overall, we've done okay. However, with the past few days being the coldest of the season, I guess I wasn't prepared for the amount of heating oil we'd be using up all at once. Last night, I found that the oil gauge was near empty, but once it gets near the empty mark we usually still have a few days, only I didn't know how long it had been on empty. It costs $60 extra to get someone to bring heating oil (kerosene actually, in the winter) at night or on weekends, so I thought I'd just put a few cans of kerosene in over the weekend and call them here at the regular price on Monday.

I got up early (for me) this morning, a little before seven. The boiler was running so we still had heating oil then. I drove the the gas station to buy ten gallons of kerosene, put that in, then went back for ten more. After putting that in, I found that the boiler wasn't lit. It must have run out while I was getting the first load of kerosene, and before I returned with it.

Once our boiler runs out, it's hard to get it going again. In fact, in the seventeen years that I have been here I think I've been able to successfully start it only once. Of course, we don't let it run out on a regular basis, but we have run out before and I usually have to get someone from the oil company to start it up for me. Plus, once it runs out, it usually requires more than a few cans of kerosene to get it going again. When it runs out, it gets air in the line, and I think it's hard to bleed the line while the tank remains low.

So we had to have them deliver a load of oil today, although I really hate paying the extra $60 for a weekend delivery. Tomorrow, we're going to get set up on a plan that they have where we pay a specified amount each month and they keep track of our oil levels, and keep it filled. We've done that before and it's a comfortable feeling. However, if oil prices go down after I have signed on for a year, it can cost more than if I just bought it as I needed it. On the other hand, if oil prices go up, it can save me money.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2017
  21. Von Jones

Von Jones Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

The better choice between the two is to safe than to be sorry. I had to make that decision a few months back and I value my peace of mind so I paid more to keep it that way.

22. Chrissy Cross

Registered

I don't think I've ever lived in a house that used kerosene oil, and that includes my childhood.

23. Ken Anderson

Registered

Most of the year, we use heating oil but in the winter, we switch to kerosene because it's not as likely to freeze. Our oil tank is outdoors. Our boiler will burn either one.

Chrissy Cross likes this.
  24. Chrissy Cross

Registered

I e never used heating oil either....just always had a furnace, usually in the basement but here my furnace is in my attic...I've never seen it.

It's a system with my A/C. The water heater is bolted to a corner in the garage...it's the law, in case of earthquake.

25. Chrissy Cross

Registered

IMG_0430.JPG

This is what my system looks like in Fresno. This summer I had the A/C unit replaced for $5,000. To replace the furnace and everything else to a more efficient system would have cost $14,000!

Didn't do that, I can't live without A/C but could without heat if I had to.