Getting New Apple Iphone

Discussion in 'Gadgets & Tech Talk' started by Cody Fousnaugh, Aug 16, 2021.

1. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

Thanks for that. I added one to my Watch List so I could consider it later. I'll have to see if the tight-fitting rubber case I have it in will fit in there. I know the MagSafe charger holds onto my phone thought my existing case...and that's on a near-vertical easel stand. You can't have too much protection on these things.

The Verizon store putt the liquid screen protector on my phone rather than film. I've seen the Scratch Test, a hammer test, and multiple drop tests done by amateurs on these ceramic-coated screens, and they hold up really well. But there's nothing wrong with putting it in a decent case.

2. Kate Ellery

Kate Ellery Supreme Member
    Registered

Our apple phones have updated software which is 15.1.1 hubs has the Pro 12 he got his prob close to 12 months ago ( I believe the IPhone 13 has either been released or will be real soon in Australia )

He got the pro because I believe it’s better for linking / adjusting his hearing aids.

I have the IPhone 12 as well but not the pro hubs phone takes a nicer clearer photo than mine

3. John Brunner

I've not updated to 15.1.1 because I believe that it provides features I do not need (but it's been a while since I read what 15.1.1 contains.)

4. Kate Ellery

Registered

I’m a bit slack when it comes to reading what updates are for … I just do it :) i did notice a tiny bit of the update related to my Apple Watch.
    I just looked at phone it says the 15 .1.1 improves call drop performance on 12 and 13 what ever that is :)
    @John Brunner

John Brunner likes this.
  5. John Brunner

That's interesting, I don't remember reading about call drop (random disconnects) improvement. I'll have to read it again. I like to over-analyze inconsequential stuff so I can suck all the joy out of it ;)

Kate Ellery likes this.
  6. Kate Ellery

Registered

I have my phone on auto update cause I always have plenty of data on my phone …..

it’s updating right now ..odd my husbands phone says it’s up to date on 15.1 ….not that extra 15.1.1 that’s updating on mine.

0D09A923-444B-4F82-836F-516B01F2DAF8.jpeg

John Brunner likes this.
  7. John Brunner

I'm getting texts from my local Verizon reseller enticing me to save $800 on a new Apple 5g phone!!!!! Heck, I've never PAID $800 for a phone, much less bought one that's so expensive they can mark it down that much. This got me looking on the web. I found a Verizon promotion for a free iPad, free SmartWatch, and free earbuds if you upgrade to a 5g iPhone. That's $1,900 savings!!! :eek: Nowhere is there a mention of how much you gotta spend for the iPhone in order to save $1,900.

Bobby Cole and Yvonne Smith like this.
  8. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

When I see those kinds of “sales” it tells me how much the equipment is really worth. If they can still make a profit after selling at a big discount, imagine what the profits are without the discount.

Mary Stetler and John Brunner like this.
  9. John Brunner

I was talking to my neighbors about the commercials for the tub surround remodels that are advertised at "$1,000 off!" Makes one wonder what the original price is.

Regarding the phones: I went on Verizon's website and may have seen one 5g iPhone that was over $800, so I'm not sure where all these $800 savings or $1,900 in free product is coming from. But none of this matters that much, because I don't really need to upgrade to 5g...I don't use my phone for internet use that often, and when I do, I'm usually out somewhere that has wifi.

Bobby Cole likes this.
  10. Bobby Cole

Task Force Registered

Some of the fear mongers out there say that 5g’s whizzing around can cook an egg…..if ya can afford to buy an egg.

John Brunner likes this.
  11. John Brunner

I've heard that it can be like one of those sonic crowd control devices. I think the government starts those rumors so as to marginalize the truth, and then they're gonna zap us.

Go ahead...try to pull the lever for the (R) candidate. Your earplugs are useless.

Bobby Cole likes this.
  12. Bobby Cole

Task Force Registered

You will be assimilated. the borg

John Brunner likes this.
  13. Kate Ellery

Registered

Thank goodness for phones now days , police was following a 17 YEAR old on his phone waiting to “spring”him he was armed with weapons including a Molotov cocktail.

He was pretty close to carrying out a larger massacre of the Columbine school shootings in the US
    ( that was his wish)

so he could get himself “in the news” he was in the last process of obtaining a hand gun ( gun ownership is illegal in Aust ) unless you have a valid reason to have one like a primary producer

The would be killer had other home made bombs already made or purchased in preparation for a mass killing in the city centre of Adelaide which is a mall called Rundle Mall
    https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-01-25/court-told-of-teenager-accused-of-murder-intent/101890860

John Brunner likes this.
  14. Mary Stetler

Mary Stetler Veteran Member
    Registered

My phone has been trying to get me to update for months. And I have been trying not to. I don't turn on my location unless I actually need maps which I don't generally, as I have a book atlas and plan trips from home. My maps function let me down for the reunion and I only got their with scribbled notes on an envelope. (my usual way of travel)
    I am unsynced. I minimally use the camera. But the update notice pops up more and more.
    I must have accidently touched the button to start the update because my pocked lit up as I put the phone in. I quickly shut the page down as it was in the middle of the contract.
    Eventually it will update without me as they have done this to me before. But I will not opt in.
    Verizon bought tracfone.
    I fought buying a cell phone years ago but I am glad for one in case of emergencies. But I hold that a phone should be for phone calls, not to keep your face glued to.