Getting New Apple Iphone

Discussion in 'Gadgets & Tech Talk' started by Cody Fousnaugh, Aug 16, 2021.

1. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

You do not have to have Apple TV to have an iPhone 12; however, Apple sometimes has a promotion where they give you free Apple TV online (or something like that, I forget the exact name) and you can watch it from your iPad or iphone. I think that there was a free year of Apple TV when Robin got me the iPhone 11+ , but I didn’t ever use it. It worked with an Apple app, so you didn’t actually have to own an Apple TV device to watch it.
    I think that they also had some sort of free games (Arcade) promotion, but I don’t do games either; so I didn’t pay any attention to that.

John Brunner likes this.
  2. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff

Pretty much what I experienced. I don't sign up for "...and don't forget to cancel it" stuff. The Arcade promo I just deleted was 3 free months. I was hanging on to that Apple TV promo in anticipation of getting fibre internet so I could compare it to other streaming video options. But Beth doesn't seem to have a high opinion of it.

3. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

Well, in my App area, I have two updates. One is for my Walmart App and the other is for IMDb (Movies & TV Shows) App.. I tried to do the update yesterday, but, because our iPhone 6 software is not 13, neither will update. I do online ordering from my Walmart area on desktop computer, to be delivered to our vehicle in the parking lot of Walmart. My iPhone App is how I let the store know that I've arrived at Walmart and which parking spot I'm in.

I knew, sooner or later, this was going to happen............not being able to update an App. due to old iPhone software.

4. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

There's no reason you can't continue to use the app. Some "updates" are not worth bothering with anyway. It should still work as it always has. One thing to note is that OS updates won't work if you don't have enough storage left on your phone to download the updates.

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  5. John Brunner

Eating-Popcorn-GIF-.gif

6. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

When we got to Walmart yesterday, for a pickup, I went on the message I got from Walmart stating that our order was ready, and on that message was a area to push that goes into the app to let them know we had arrived and the number of the parking space we were in. I could not use the app to do this and the app stated that "this app needs updating to use". I, again, tried to "update" and it wouldn't do it. The "update" if for fixes/repairs to the app. This morning I tried to "update" again, with no success. I found out that we have to have software 13 to do anymore updates on any apps we have. We only have 12, with no software update for each 6 wife and I have.

IOW, it's time!

7. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

Try deleting the app and reinstalling it.

8. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

Did that to both apps and each app still asked for the update. I tried getting a new app a few days ago, and was told software 13 was needed to download, of which we don't have and, currently can't get.

9. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff

Yeah, I got a year of free Apple TV with my iPhone 12 Pro. I looked at it once and it didn't have much of anything that I don't already have through my Roku TV so I've never been there again.

10. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

Just got from UPS, our new Comcast-xFi Gateway tv Modem, but can't install yet. It takes IOS 13.0 or later to download the App for the modem. Our software is 12.5.4 and it says this is the latest software we can have.

So, the Apple iPhone 12 is coming a whole lot quicker than we even thought. Like, tomorrow.

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  11. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

Also, found out that we have to buy new Otter Defender cases (with a belt clip), because the 12 is a little bit smaller than the 6. And, have to buy new chargers, that don't come with the 12. Chargers, usb cable and earbuds came with the 6 when we bought them.

Appears that, even with discounts, we will be paying close to $2,000 for the phones, chargers, cases. But, we definitely need a new iPhone and the 12 will be the one.

12. Yvonne Smith

My daughter (who is presently still working and living in the Netherlands ) just got one of the brand new iPhone 13 Pro (or maybe the Pro Max), and she sent me her iPhone 12 Pro Max, which is larger than my iPhone 11 is.
    I really like that it is larger and things are easier to see for me, while Robin prefers the smaller sized phones. Usually you have to get the most deluxe version to get all of the bells and whistles, so she gets that, even though it is larger.
    Anyway, I have it all set up now, paired with my Apple Watch and AirPods , and ready to use. I ordered one of the wallet type of cases from Amazon because they protect the phone really well.

Bobby said he is happy with the iPhone that he has now (he seldom even uses the phone because he uses the Apple Watch instead), so I am planning on giving my iPhone 11 to my son because his is pretty old, if I remember right.

Beth Gallagher and John Brunner like this.
  13. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff

The Pro Max 12 is what I have. I went from a 7 to that.

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  14. John Brunner

If I recall correctly, the 12 Pro Max has pretty nice camera lenses...supposed to take better pics than the 12 mini that I've got. I've not seen the wallet cases you speak of. I'll have to check them out. I just have the rubber-like back & side cover the phone sits in, but the ceramic coating on the screen is supposed to protect from scratches and from shattering.

I spent Thanksgiving with a friend, her family, and extended relationships, and I noticed a guy playing with his new Apple Watch. He and I talked for a while and learned some things we had each figured out on our watch. I forget which one he had (I'm still not Apple-fluent.) It was not an SE or a 6.

15. Yvonne Smith

Robin loves (and lives for) photography, so the camera capabilities are one of the most important things to her. The new iPhone 13 also comes with up to a terabyte of space, and that is important to her as well. She always gets the best camera, and the largest capacity for storage.

There are a lot of styles of the wallet cases on Amazon. I prefer the ones with a detachable case. The phone fits in the protective case, but is held in place magnetically, so you can pull it right out of the case, which makes it easier when you want to take pictures, or just do something where the case gets in the way.

Here is what mine will look like, so you can have an idea of what the wallet case is like. Some of them have a lot more storage room inside for credit cards, money, etc; but I am mainly just concerned about having the case to protect my phone.

B458D6B6-7374-4877-8690-26DB207E3316.jpeg

Bobby Cole and John Brunner like this.