Getting New Apple Iphone

Discussion in 'Gadgets & Tech Talk' started by Cody Fousnaugh, Aug 16, 2021.

1. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

Wife and I currently have an Apple iPhone 6, that were bought in middle of 2015. We have 12.5.4 software in each and don't know if further software updates will be available.

So, we are now looking at getting either an Apple iPhone 11 or a 12. The 12 has a 5G, of which is suppose to be outstanding. We are leaning towards getting two 12's, even though the cost is somewhat high, but.

Like the old computer Windows 7, the Apple iPhone 6 will soon be obsolete with no software updates.

Does anyone here have the Apple iPhone 11 or 12?

2. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I have a 12 mini. It's my first Apple product ever. I like it good enough, but it doesn't really do anything that my other cell phones did not do...at least, not that I'm aware of.

I went with Apple this time because I wanted an Apple Watch, and you need a iPhone to set it up and manage it. And Apple is buying market share, so gave me a generous trade-in on my old Droid. I think that without trade-in, the Mini is $700 from Verizon. Others might have a lower price, but the comparisons are never apples-to-apples.

I've not updated phones on a routine basis (I'm 67 years old and this is my 3rd phone ever), but if Apple is not updating the O/S, it might make sense to upgrade for security purposes. I had not thought of that aspect. I'm not gonna be happy if their lack of support is supposed to make me buy products from them more often.

Von Jones likes this.
  3. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff

I have an 11+ that I have had for over a year, and I really like it. If you have not used Face ID, then it takes a little bit to set that up and get used to it; but then you will just LOVE having it !
    You can set up more than one profile, so if you sometimes wear glasses and sometimes not (or something similar) it can recognize you either way.

The camera is much better than the old one in an iPhone 6, and has a whole lot more capabilities. My daughter has the iPhone 12+ and it does even more things, and has more memory than mine does, but she updates her phone ever year or two anyway.

Edit to add: it is not Apple who is not updating the iPhone 6, but since the carriers are upgrading to 5G, many of them no longer support the older phones, of any model.

It is possible that your phone software will not take the latest updates, @Cody Fousnaugh ; but my ex (who recently passed away) had the 6+, and his phone was up to the current iOS. Have you tried to update past the 12.5.4 iOS update ?

4. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

I have an iPhone 11+ that's just about a year old. It replaced a 6+ that was still working fine but the battery was playing out. I also had my 6+ for over 5 years and at that time it had current OS; I don't think 5 years is an unreasonable amount of time to provide support for gadgets.

It took some getting used to going from the "button" on the front of the phone to a bunch of facial recognition stuff but now I'm used to it. I think you'll enjoy having new, faster phones.

5. John Brunner

I forgot to mention: I have a credit on my plane for the 5G access charges. We ain't got 5g here yet. We were among the last regions to get 4g when they rolled it out. So I can't comment on any performance difference.

I believe (but am not certain) that the support that's being dropped by the carriers is for the old flip phones that are on 3g technology. 3g has been dropped to free up capacity for 5g. There certainly may be more to it that this. But if the iPhone 6 is not getting any more O/S upgrades, it's Apple that has dropped support (just as Microsoft stops issuing security updates for older versions of Windows.) The only thing the carrier would impact is the ability to connect on a discontinued band (3g.)

6. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

Yes, try to update constantly, but nothing. Have also found out that we can't get certain apps that will require 13 or higher software. We also like FaceTime, that only comes with Apple iPhone.

My SIL, wife's sister, has had numerous problems with either her iPhone or the Carrier. Each and every time we talk to her, sometime during the conversation we can no longer hear her. We don't have this problem with anyone else.

7. John Brunner

This article says you may get a better deal by waiting until September, when Apple historically releases their new products.

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  8. Yvonne Smith

Very excellent point, @John Brunner ! I remember seeing that not only Apple itself marked down older models; but places like Best Buy and even Amazon were also lowering their prices by a whole lot, to clear the inventory.
    Along with the new models, I think that we also get the iOS 15 coming sometime this fall. Unless Cody needs the phones right away, they can probably get a much better deal by waiting until the new models come out this fall.
    I love watching the new Apple presentation each fall, and just seeing what the new advances are, even though I have no intentions of upgrading what I have right now.

John Brunner likes this.
  9. John Brunner

You're talking about being plugged into Apple's universe made me go look at the GMail account that was set up for my Apple ID. Gee, I got [Apple] mail!!! I just set it up to forward to my Yahoo account.

I may have mentioned that when I bought my 12 mini, Apple gave me $350 trade in on it. Not bad for an old phone that only cost $200.

Regarding Cody waiting: I wonder if Apple has stopped upgrading his O/S already, or if he's concerned about it happening in the near future.

10. Yvonne Smith

Even if the iOS is no longer upgrading, the phone will still work okay as long as their cell provider is still providing coverage for their plan.
    We have a very old iPad Mini 2, which is from something like 2014, and it still works fine for what Bobby uses it for, it just wont use any of the new apps that have to have the newer operating systems.
    Bobby uses it mostly to take out into the shop and play music with, and it works fine for things like that.

John Brunner likes this.
  11. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

Main reason we are looking right now, my wife got a 2-month extension on her job, thru the middle of October and we could afford them now.

I read that one reason to get the 12 right now, most of the bugs/fixes would already be done. With a brand new one, none of the bugs/fixes have been found/repaired yet.

John Brunner likes this.
  12. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

Boy, I swear (but not literally) this forum has the greatest bunch of folks on it! And, I've been a part of it since 2015.

Wife and I want to give all of you a really big "Thank You" for all of the suggestions you are always giving me.

John Brunner likes this.
  13. John Brunner

As an aside, I recently read that a good security thing to do is to reboot your cell phone at least monthly. Apparently the stuff that hackers install are not permanent programs...they only reside in memory until the next time the phones are restarted and memory is cleared out. Then you're clean.

Von Jones likes this.
  14. John Brunner

That sounds like me. I used to build my own desktop computers, and would always install the prior operating system and processor technology just for that reason (and for cost.)

-Those who must have the latest & greatest are said to be on The Bleeding Edge.
    --Bleeding Edgers drag us into the future.
    -Those like you & me are the Late Adopters.
    --Late Adopters help developers squeeze every last dime out of their products.

As an aside, being new to Apple, I had no idea that the 12 was already fleshed-out technology. That explains why they marked them down so much (50%) but pretended is was under a generous trade-in program.

Von Jones likes this.
  15. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

Question folks..........what does Apple TV have to do with an Apple iPhone 12? Does a person have to have Apple TV to own an Apple iPhone 12?

16. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

No, you don't have to have Apple TV to own an iPhone. Apple TV is just a streaming service like Netflix, only more lame.

John Brunner likes this.