Getting Directions

Discussion in 'Gadgets & Tech Talk' started by Cody Fousnaugh, Mar 22, 2017.

1. Well, now that old-fashioned maps are rarely around, and my phone doesn't have the capabilities you guys mentioned, I take take either of two approaches:
    If I'm home and preparing to go someplace unfamiliar, I check GoogleMaps. If I'm out someplace and don't know how to get to a destination, I walk into the
    nearest building and ask somebody. :p People seem to think the latter is odd- the weirdest reaction I got was when I went into the Federal Courthouse and asked the security guards directions to a book store.

Ina I. Wonder and Terry Page like this.
  2. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I don't use it regularly, but I have several copies of the Maine Atlas and Gazetteer, which shows every road in Maine, including logging roads, private roads, and roads that may not be navigable at all times of the year. I don't do it so much anymore, but I used to like seeing which of these roads could still be used, and once even found a way to drive into Baxter State Park without going by a check-in point. Baxter only lets a specified number of cars in a day, and that's per day rather than at a time, so there are times when you can't get in unless you go early in the morning. Delorme announced that it was going to quit publishing the Maine Atlas a couple of years ago, then Garmin picked it up, and has continued publishing the paper edition each year, as well as updating it.
    maine-atlas-gazetteer.jpg