Getting Certain Things Done Pleases Me No End

Discussion in 'Personal Diaries' started by Lon Tanner, Nov 29, 2019.

1. Lon Tanner

Lon Tanner Supreme Member
    Registered

I have no trouble with mental activity but because I am limited physically, getting things like washing & drying laundry is a challenge and takes a real effort on my part. Staff will do all my laundry if I want, but I like to do it myself sometimes for the exercise. Using my Walker to go to meals requires real effort on my part and is uncomfortable but it is one of my main means of exercise.My balance is very poor due to Neuropathy but sitting in the shower & using the grab bars to take a bath gives me a sense of accomplishment.

2. Von Jones

Von Jones Supreme Member
    Registered

That sense of accomplishment when challenged is indeed a great feeling. I used to wallow when I was sick. I thought just resting and not lifting a finger to do anything was the best thing to do but just thinking about those things that needed to be done made me get up and sneeze, cough, blow my nose through it all. Once I was finished I felt so much better so now I ditched the wallowing when I'm sick and get 'er done.:)

3. Shirley Martin

Shirley Martin Supreme Member
    Registered

I think it's important for us to do all we can for ourselves for as long as we can. You do well, Lon.

4. Micki Pembroke

Micki Pembroke Veteran Member
    Registered

Agree with all of you. It's so easy to bury ourselves in self pity, but our greatest rewards are doing for ourselves when we are able, granted there's times that we do need help, and that's okay.

5. Micki Pembroke

Micki Pembroke Veteran Member
    Registered

I think the stigma now a days is, when a person reaches a certain age, others think we can't do anything anymore....they can be so wrong, proving that is a great reward.:).

6. Bess Barber

Bess Barber Veteran Member
    Task Force Registered

Sometimes not do anything, because it's uncomfortable or even somewhat painful, is way worse for your body than making yourself do it. I'm glad you have people around who can help you @Lon Tanner , but it's better for you physically and mentally to do whatever you can do for yourself. Good job!

7. Teresa Levitt

Teresa Levitt Veteran Member
    Registered

you are amazing!

Frank Sanoica and Micki Pembroke like this.
  8. Lon Tanner

Registered

I am not. I go through each day, eating well, reading some.viewing films,exercise some, but fun? NO

Bess Barber likes this.
  9. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

I seriously doubt if my definition of fun is the same as the majority of folks so maybe it would be best if I just labeled the things that I do as things I enjoy doing.
    I enjoy training at the gym so to me, it’s fun the same as working on the house or on another project.

Learning something new is fun just as attending an on line lecture is totally enjoyable.

10. Lon Tanner

Registered

Learning something new can be fun for me too, but physical limitations restricts many kinds of fun.

11. Hedi Mitchell

Hedi Mitchell Supreme Member
    Registered

Technically no. If I could get well enough to just go back to being a housewife cooking and cleaning and shopping and all of that that is fun enough for me.
    Like most of us we care nothing for the large crowds the noise and all the other things that go along with supposedly having fun:)

12. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

In a way, I know what you mean. Whilst your physical limitations might be considered to be somewhat natural, mine are pretty much self imposed.
    I screwed up a brachialis muscle in my left arm so doing hammer curls is a little less fun because of the pain. I messed it up about 6 months ago and it’s just now starting to function properly. Even grabbing a bag of groceries can be painful if I don’t watch how I manipulate the 2nd small finger which is close to where the ulnar nerve is anchored.

But, that goes with the learning thing doesn’t it. All the small intricacies involved with the human body are sooooo astounding!!

Just a question: You play pool?

Bess Barber likes this.
  13. Bess Barber

Bess Barber Veteran Member
    Task Force Registered

I certainly don't have the same kind of fun I had in my younger years, but I'm not bored or dreading the day. Did you have hobbies before you got ill which you can still enjoy to some capacity today? There are all sorts of different things you can find to do online to at least take up more of your day. Or if you can physically do it, as @Bobby Cole suggested, enjoy some sort of sport? I really want you to find something that makes you happy.

14. Craig Wilson

Craig Wilson Veteran Member
    Registered

You are a kind soul @Bess Barber. Nor do I have the same fun as younger years.. understandable I suppose. I do tho still manage to keep myself from going completely up the wall. I have this friendly forum.. my two wonderful pooches and my fave sport.. cricket to watch. Not much but it gets me thru the day.

15. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

I agree with Bobby; many things are enjoyable but not necessarily "fun." Also agree with Gloria that loud noises and crowds are not anything we want to deal with at this time of life. So I suppose we are satisfied with just being able to enjoy life. We will be taking a trip in our RV later in the year and that should be "fun." (But possibly not. :D)