George Hw Bush Dead At 94

Discussion in 'In the News' started by Holly Saunders, Dec 1, 2018.

1. Holly Saunders

Holly Saunders Supreme Member
    Registered

George Herbert Walker Bush died at 11.10pm ET on Friday at his family compound in Houston, Texas, his office confirmed in a statement. The statement did not specify the cause of death, but Bush had a form of Parkinson's disease and had been hospitalized several times for pneumonia and other infections in recent years. Days before his death, Bush was reportedly hospitalized with low blood pressure. The World War II hero, who presided over the final days of the Cold War and the crackup of the Soviet Union, died less than eight months after the April death of his wife of more than 70 years,

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/ushome/index.html

Don Alaska, Tom Tit and Bobby Cole like this.
  2. Babs Hunt

Babs Hunt Supreme Member
    Registered

I like to think he and his wife are together once again and I hope they both rest in peace.

Personally I have always felt the Bush men were not playing it straight with the American people...but I did like their wives loyalty and devotion to their husbands and family.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2018
    Don Alaska and Bobby Cole like this.
  3. Beatrice Taylor

Beatrice Taylor Veteran Member
    Registered

"At the end of your life, you will never regret not having passed one more test, not winning one more verdict, or not closing one more deal. You will regret time not spent with a husband, a friend, a child or a parent." - Barbara Bush

[​IMG]

4. Shirley Martin

Shirley Martin Supreme Member
    Registered

He is receiving praises from many world leaders. I have always liked him and Barbara. He put his life on the line for this country in WWII. In my opinion, he served this country well. President Trump has declared next Wednesday a national day of mourning.

Nancy Hart and Don Alaska like this.
  5. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

My mother told me that if I couldn't say anything nice, I shouldn't say anything at all, so I'll remain quiet. Actually, I am not entirely certain that my mother said that, but it sounds like something that pretty much everyone's mother must have told them.

Don Alaska likes this.
  6. Thomas Stearn

Thomas Stearn Veteran Member
    Registered

He came as a godsend to us. I will be eternally grateful to this man from the bottom of my heart for what he did when a decision had to be taken after the Berlin wall had come down. Reagan had demanded "tear down this wall" and Bush gave the crucial go-ahead when it was needed thus curbing all those worriers. Really not sure if any other US-President would have cared. He was the right man in the right place. R.I.P., Mr President.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2018
  7. Nancy Hart

Nancy Hart Veteran Member
    Registered

Unfortunately George Bush got off to a bad start with me when he hired Lee Atwater as a manager in his first campaign. It was a pretty dirty campaign, for back then. Barbara Bush didn't like Atwater, and said so publicly, if I recall correctly. lol. And then there was Clarence Thomas. It was hard for me to get over those things.

But he was a good decent man, served the country in many ways, when he didn't have to, and did some good things, that were against his own self interest, when he knew they should be done. That's a sign of character, imo. I didn't appreciate his accomplishments in foreign affairs as much as I should have, at the time. A uniter, not a divider. R.I.P. Forty One.

8. Lulu Moppet

Lulu Moppet Veteran Member
    Registered

My mother told me to always wear clean underwear in case I was hit by a bus. Remember thinking about that advice early one Sunday morning in NYC when I went out for the Times wearing only my raincoat & shoes.

9. Don Alaska

Don Alaska Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

He was probably the most qualified person ever to run for the Presidency, and he accomplished some things no other leader could have done, such as getting the Saudis and the Israelis on the same side in the Gulf War. He kept Israel from retaliating against Saddam when he was raining scuds on them. As has been mentioned, he oversaw the final demise of the USSR and the break up of the Soviet Bloc. He was, however, a terrible President on domestic issues, a terrible campaigner, and he broke almost every campaign pledge he ever made.

Bobby Cole likes this.
  10. Nancy Hart

Nancy Hart Veteran Member
    Registered

11. Beatrice Taylor

Beatrice Taylor Veteran Member
    Registered

I watched the funeral yesterday, a great send-off.

It made me feel proud that even with all of our differences and petty bickering America can still scrub itself up and come together in a respectful way for one of its own.

I also learned a new word: catafalque - a decorated wooden framework supporting the coffin of a distinguished person during a funeral or while lying in state.

The same catafalque that was used for Abraham Lincoln was used for George H.W. Bush. I wish that our government was that thrifty and practical in other areas.

[​IMG]

Nancy Hart and Don Alaska like this.