Geography Lessons

Discussion in 'Places I Have Lived' started by Mal Campbell, Mar 18, 2015.

1. Mal Campbell

Mal Campbell Supreme Member
    Registered

I thought it might be fun to learn more about where everyone lives, by doing a 4th grade geography lesson. Let us know about your state, by giving us some of your state symbols - like state bird, motto, flower, etc. It doesn't have to be the state you live in now, it could be where you grew up, or where you raised your kids, or whatever. Post photos if you can. If you don't live in the US, give us similar, interesting tidbits about your country. But be sure to tell us what state/country it is - maybe list it in all caps or highlighted.

I'll start. We moved to Tennessee about two years ago, so I actually had to look this up (wikipedia is a font of dubious knowledge), as I didn't live her in 4th grade!

TENNESSEE

State motto - Agriculture and Commerce (boy, that's boring)

State Flag - the three stars represent the three divisions of the state - East, Middle and West. The blue circle around the stars represents the unity of the three divisions. The blue strip was just added because it was pretty.
    flag.jpg

State Flower - (cultivated) Iris
    iris.jpg

State Flower - (wild) Passion Flower (pictured) and Tennessee Echinacea
    passionflower.jpg

State Bird - Mockingbird
    Mockingbird.jpg
    State Butterfly - Zebra Swallowtail
    butterfly.jpg

State Beverage - Milk (not moonshine??)
    State Dance - Square Dance
    State Tree - Tulip Poplar

2. Helene Lawson

Helene Lawson Veteran Member
    Registered

I was always bad at geography. :/ I hated it.
    I live in Poland, Kujawsko-Pomorskie, ToruĊ„/

3. Helene Lawson

Helene Lawson Veteran Member
    Registered

[​IMG]
    View of the main town

4. Magalina Lilis

Magalina Lilis Veteran Member
    Registered

I spend my time between Florida, Virgina, and Michigan. As a Northerner, I became enchanted learning about the Southern way of life. The town of Richmond, VA is deep in history, especially the Civil War Era. Well, matter of fact, Virginia is filled with all kinds of early American History that I found interesting to learn about and explore. I am not going to post the state flag, flower, etc. Instead, I will include some of my favorite spots to visit.

[​IMG]

Civil War Museum, down by the James River and the old iron works, Tredegar,
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Give me liberty, or give me death speech.

[​IMG]

I could go on and on. Needless to say unique history is found in every area of the world. This is just a quick glimpse into the region of Richmond, VA.