Generation Me School Experiences

Discussion in 'Education & Learning' started by Janice Martin, Feb 18, 2017.

1. I plan to address this on my blog, but I'd like to know what other people think. The original version of the book "Generation Me" was published in 2006, and claims virtually all individuals born in the U.S. between 1970 and the late 1990s have had their educations based on 'the Self-Esteem Movement.' Its author claims this is why the kids are growing up to be a) 'little narcissists' who b) are not prepared for 'reality' when they finish school and become adults.

I believe the author missed the mark entirely; but I'm posting because all I ever heard about this came from sitcoms- not my experiences, not my kids' experiences.

So if you have kids (or grandkids) in that age group, did their school experiences include stuff she mentioned such as teachers not marking a wrong answer as wrong because it'd cause kids to 'feel bad,' not allowing any competition (sports, academic) because if someone 'wins' someone else would 'lose,' 'everybody gets a trophy,' schools not allowing Honor Rolls, etc.?

2. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

Not at all....my kids were born 1971 and 1976 and I don't find that to be true at all in the schools they went to.

Oldest grandson was born 1999 and I don't see it either except in early age sports...but it becomes competitive once they hit junior high and especially high school.

My 13 year old grandson made the team for basket ball last year but this year they had to try out and he didn't make it, he was disappointed but said he's going to try next year....practice more. He has a disadvantage when it comes to basketball, he's not one of the taller boys.

School is very competitive here. There is honor roll, national honor society, awards at the end of the year etc.

Both my kids were ready for the real world, and so will my grandsons be ready...I'm sure of it.

3. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

My son was born before that time period, and my grandchildren were born afterwards, but our daughter was born during this time, and I don't think this defined her at all. Seventeen years in the army probably prepared her for just about anything, but the fact that she wanted to do this shows that she was prepared to handle it.

Frank Sanoica likes this.
  4. Frank Sanoica

Frank Sanoica Supreme Member
    Registered

@Janice Martin ......."kids are growing up to be a) 'little narcissists' "
    If true, is this a bad thing?
    Frank