Gelatin And Sago

Discussion in 'Food & Drinks' started by Corie Henson, Jun 28, 2015.

1. Corie Henson

Corie Henson Veteran Member
    Registered

When I was in grade school, the usual drink for pupils was the so called "Gulaman at Sago" a concoction of water and syrup plus sliced plain gelatin and sago balls. It was affordable at 5 centavos per glass. I could finish 2 glasses when the weather is warm during summer time. Children would be milling at the gelatin cart which drink was ice cold.

Now they are creating a new version of that gulaman at sago. Instead of water, they would put syrup on crushed ice and then putting the gelatin and sago balls as toppings. You have to mix it with a spoon. So nice to have during summer time.

2. Hannah Davis

Hannah Davis Veteran Member
    Registered

This sounds like an interesting drink. I have actually never heard of its before. I don't know thought about putting gelatin with water, but the new version sounds pretty good. Yes, some would say its less healthier using syrup instead of water, but for me the combination just sounds better especially with the crushed ice.

3. Corie Henson

Corie Henson Veteran Member
    Registered

When that concoction came out some years ago, it was a big hit with the young crowd that very first summer. And to think that it is cheaper than soda, which would you choose? When summer comes, expect the young employees in our office to sport plastic glasses on their table with spoon in their mouth - that's the gelatin drink.

That Gelatin and Sago drink is an offshoot of the halo-halo. Well, this is another summer cooler, not really a drink but a snack of sorts. The glass would contain a tablespoon of sweetened fruits like banana, palm fruit, sago, gelatin, etc. Crushed ice will fill the glass and for more flavor, leche flan or yam will be put as toppings before evaporated milk is poured. And you mix it while eating.