Gardening

Discussion in 'Hobbies & Crafts' started by Teresita Campaner, May 12, 2016.

1. Teresita Campaner

Teresita Campaner Veteran Member
    Registered

One my hobbies is gardening. We have bananas, jack fruit, avocado, and mango trees surrounding our house aside from vegetables . We sell our harvests to our neighbors or just displayed them in a small store in front of our house.

2. Diane Lane

Diane Lane Veteran Member
    Registered

Where do you live @Teresita Campaner? It must be somewhat tropical, if you can grow jack fruit and mangos. I'd love to see pictures. It's nice that you can sell your crops to your neighbors or other passersby. I have one neighbor who will sometimes share his lemons with us, and his lemons are huge, nothing like the small ones available for purchase here in the grocery stores. They resemble grapefruits in size, and give off a huge quantity of juice.

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  3. Texas Beth

Texas Beth Veteran Member
    Registered

One of my hobbies is gardening as well. I have blackberriers, corn, lettuce, dinner onions, okra, tomatoes, bell peppers, green beans and eggplants. What I and my small family do not use, I share with neighbors. One day, I hope to have dwarf fruit trees (tall trees grow into the power lines). Does anyone have any experience with dwarf fruit trees?

4. Corie Henson

Corie Henson Veteran Member
    Registered

I love gardens but not really fond of gardening. It's not easy to do gardening work because during the dry season, watering of the garden is not an easy task. In the recent months that we a drought hit our country, the irrigation of the garden is twice a day otherwise some plants would wither. During the rainy season, we are free from the irrigating chores but the weeds grow fast and it's even a harder chore. But for a gardener at heart, I know those chores are nothing to them.

We have mostly edible plants and trees because my husband prefers something to eat than something to look at only. Our mango tree was always heavily fruiting twice a year until a storm felled it in 2014. Fortunately the tree is still alive although trimmed. Right now our star fruit in the big rubber pot is fruiting and I hope it will not be spoiled the rains - the rainy season has officially started last week. Some of our other trees are the sugar apple, cashew, mulberry and small trees like lemon. Not to forget, we have banana which had given us 3 harvests already.

5. Marilyn Pahl

Marilyn Pahl Veteran Member
    Registered

The neighbor's guava bush is loaded. She gave me a basket of them and just got through making guava jam and gave her some. All the fruits she picked me and her son made different kinds, strawberry/guava jams and jellies. I like to take a pound cake slice it in layers spread jam on it.:)

Yvonne Smith likes this.