Gardening Tools

Discussion in 'Crops & Gardens' started by Diane Lane, May 7, 2016.

1. Diane Lane

Diane Lane Veteran Member
    Registered

What types of gardening tools do y'all use? I have some foam kneeling pads, but was at a neighbor's yesterday and saw that she's gotten a new kneeler. She has a lot of problems with her knees, and likes the fact that the new kneeler has handles she can use to pull herself up with. I don't recall the brand, but she bought it at Tuesday Morning. I looked around, and it seems Walmart and Amazon have similar products.

I have a small rocker seat I use when I garden on the balcony, but it's not all that stable. I like the looks of this garden hopper, and would like to get one at some point. garden hopper.jpg

Babs Hunt, Yvonne Smith and Von Jones like this.
  2. Von Jones

Von Jones Supreme Member
    Registered

I'm going to have to check this out too. I've been getting a lot of Amazon gift cards and this would be something to put on my wishlist. It would not only help the knees but the back.

3. Diane Lane

Registered

That's nice @Von Jones. I don't have any Amazon gift cards, but if I earned some, I might consider spending them on this type of product. It would probably be nice for use with raised garden beds, too, as long as they weren't too high up. The scythes and ditch blades I've been looking at have been on Amazon for the most part, although when I read the reviews, it seems they are shipped with a very dull blade, and then I'd have to take it somewhere to have it sharpened, so I might just end up buying one (if I ever do) at Home Depot or another store like that locally, assuming they could sharpen it on site for me.

4. Von Jones

Von Jones Supreme Member
    Registered

If you do get one and it needs to be sharpened try an Ace Hardware store. I think you also can call ahead at Home Depot to see if they provide that type of service. Once I went to Lowe's to get some backboard for my shower wall and I wanted to get it cut to size and they didn't do that but did show me how to do it myself which was quite easy.

Diane Lane likes this.
  5. Steve North

Steve North Supreme Member
    Registered

We have a kneeler and wouldn't be without it.. It can also be a seat if turned up the other way.. It folds to almost nothing for storage.. it is very sturdy and solid..
    What a help getting up with the handles on the side..
    We bought ours many years ago and it still works fine.. It is used every day we garden which is almost every day during the season..

6. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I have been looking at those little kneelers that have the handles on them and can be used as either a seat or to kneel down with, and the handles help you to get up.
    I would love to have one; but I am not sure if I could use I once I had one. It is hard for me to sit down on something that is low, even the patio lounge chairs are way to low for me to get up and down from them.
    I miss having one to relax out in the back yard; but they are just too low for me anymore. I do have one of those types of lawn chairs that recline, zero gravity, I think they are called.
    Mine is so old and worn out, it looks awful now; but it still works fine, and it is great for when i am working out in the yard and need to rest for a bit.
    It is tall enough to get in and out of, and it reclines so far back that I am almost lying down and my feet are up, which helps with the swelling in my feet and legs from the CHF.
    It is my most favorite chair, and something that I would definitely recommend if you work outside and need a good chair to rest and put your feet up with.

Von Jones likes this.
  7. Von Jones

Von Jones Supreme Member
    Registered

I have one too @Yvonne Smith. It is nice. Have you thought about dressing your chair up with a piece of fabric? Just glue it or staple it on.

8. Diane Lane

Registered

I love the zero gravity recliners. I have a leather one indoors as well, but somehow it lost a bolt or some other piece of hardware, and now it goes all wonky when I try to recline in it. Eventually, I'll probably get around to looking at that, and perhaps I can find a YouTube video or something on how to repair it. I have two for the balcony as well, but don't have them out there right now. Since there's no protection over the balcony, those type of webbed chairs keep breaking. I'm not sure if it's dry rot or what, but I know the raccoons didn't help the situation, because they seem to like roughhousing on the balcony and have torn everything up on occasion. I think I purchased mine at Big Lots, and thankfully, I over bought when I got them, so I still have a few to replace the broken ones.

9. Yvonne Smith

Actually, that is what I am in the process of doing right now, @Von Jones .
    I always save my plastic grocery bags, cut them into strips and then crochet the strips into small throw rugs, using a strand of knitting yarn along with the plastic yarn.
    I decided that this would make a great cover for the lawn recliner, and I have been using up some of the extra pieces of leftover yarn to make a new cover for the chair.
    The throw rugs last forever, so once I have the cover on the recliner, I should be able to just hose it down as needed, and the chair will be usuable and nicer looking again.
    Once I have the cover the right length to cover the chair, then I will attach it using some of the small zip ties, and it should be good to go once more.
    I tried putting one of the lounge cushions on the chair last year; but that was too thick, and I was not able to make the chair recline properly when I was using the cushion. I did get a thinner one this spring, and it works fine; but does not attach to the chair like the one that I am making will do.

Von Jones likes this.
  10. Yvonne Smith

I finished my crocheted gravity chair cover and put it on today, using those little zip-ties. It adds a lot of color to the chair. I still should go over the paint where it has worn off; but at least now the chair will look warm and inviting when I am sunbahing in it.
    I am not sure if the plastic will be comfortable for lying on, although the rugs are soft under my feet (and the dogs love them).
    If it is uncomfortable, I will just put a beach towel under the center part of it where i am sitting and that will work just fine.
    The pool is chilly today; but tomorrow, I will probably swim and then relax in the recliner to dry off and warm up again.
    image.jpeg

Last edited: Jun 8, 2016
    Von Jones likes this.
  11. K E Gordon

K E Gordon Veteran Member
    Registered

Well I just bought a lawn rake. For some reason, I seem to have plenty of leaf rakes but I needed a lawn rake. I have been attempting to plants some grass, and the soil around here is not the best. I have been raking a bit, and picking up little pebbles and rocks as I go. Other than than my new acquistion, I usually just make do with some trowels, and so forth. I don't do a whole lot of gardening as a rule, but since I have (hopefully not pie in the sky visions) of selling my house for big bucks. I am attempting to present a good front to the world. I have been planting flowers and what not.

Von Jones likes this.
  12. Von Jones

Von Jones Supreme Member
    Registered

13. Texas Beth

Texas Beth Veteran Member
    Registered

I wish I had the income to buy all kinds of useful and fun items for gardening. However, I do not. So, I will stick with my tried and true tools: hoe, spade and my two hands. They have gotten me through several gardens and I suspect will get me through several more.

Von Jones likes this.