Garden Pests

Discussion in 'Crops & Gardens' started by Corie Henson, Aug 30, 2015.

1. Corie Henson

Corie Henson Veteran Member
    Registered

Especially now that is rainy season, pests are regularly visiting our garden that's why we need to check the plants and trees every day.

The snails have been hatching eggs. Those baby snails would climb the twigs of the plants and eat the leaves. The pepper plant that is fruiting is in danger of being annihilated. The dragon fruit that is like a cactus is also being attacked by those baby snails. Even the banana plant is not spared by those baby snail. And they eat so fast that's why they grow so fast. What we do is to collect them and crush all at the same time. The pulp would serve as good fertilizer.

Sheldon Scott likes this.
  2. Sheldon Scott

Sheldon Scott Supreme Member
    Registered

Our garden is just about done for this year. The only things still growing are sweet potatoes and a few carrots and cucumbers.
    I pulled what was left of the tomatoes. They were covered with hornworms.
    We are trying to cut back on gardening but every spring when the seed catalogs start coming we get the urge to plant more. We're getting to dang old to keep this up.

Corie Henson likes this.
  3. Martin Alonzo

Martin Alonzo Supreme Member
    Registered

Try making a copper colloidal solution and spary the plants it should deter snails as it is a poison for invertebrates but is essential mineral for people.

4. Corie Henson

Registered

Our sugar apple is normally attacked by aphids, the growing fruits are the favorite dwelling of aphids. But when we spray the tree with mild insecticide, the aphids are somewhat restrained. Whether it is summer or rainy season, the aphids would be coming so we are always on the lookout. Another way of deterring the aphids is by spraying with water using the garden hose.

Done with the aphids, we are perplexed why our star fruit is not bearing fruit although it has flowers all the time. We suspected that some insects, that are supposed to be pollinators, are actually eating the fertilized element of the flowers. My husband sprayed the tree with insecticide last month and the other day we were surprised to find some fruits, quite big already, about 3 inches long.

5. Marianna Linke

Marianna Linke Veteran Member
    Registered

I've had a big problem with aphids myself this year, between them and slugs, I lost quite a few plants. My partner went and sprayed raid at them the first time I found them and I lost all my sweet peas because of this. Of course the spray he was using was a strong substance meant for killing insects in your home, not on your plants. I heard that mildly soapy water works but it seemed to me that some of my plants were so infected that pulling them in order to stop a spread was all I could do. I am wondering where they come from. I always thought aphids liked rose bushes and I have one in the flower bed. Is this where they are originating or do they strike at random? Some of my flowers were so infested they were covered on every inch of plant. Help!

6. Martin Alonzo

Martin Alonzo Supreme Member
    Registered

They use to sell lady bugs and lace wing these are the natural enemies of aphids. You can also but neem oil which will kill them all of these things are natural. You can mix soapy water and spray try adding a little hot pepper to the mix. Good luck and have fun

7. Corie Henson

Registered

This is the first time I've heard of utilizing hot pepper. Ironically, our pepper plant is the favorite restaurant of the aphids. And if the liquid dishwashing soap couldn't annihilate the white pests, we would stop planting pepper for a year or two so the aphids would be temporarily gone, at least. But maybe I can try adding hot pepper since our pepper plant has plenty of red fruits that we can grind to mix in the spray. Hoping that it will work just fine.