Garden Is Finally In

Discussion in 'Crops & Gardens' started by Don Alaska, Jun 9, 2021.

1. Marie Mallery

Marie Mallery Veteran Member
    Registered

Our water is hard here but our drip system did ok but then we didn't use it but a couple seasons. So you may be right .

2. Don Alaska

Don Alaska Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

Frost warning is out for tonight. It has rained all day, but it cleared and the wind died as the sun went down. Our gardening season may be over, ast least in the outside gardens. We'll see...the forecast ahs been known to be wrong;).

Marie Mallery likes this.
  3. Marie Mallery

Registered

Its too hot here to garden.Wish we had of built a leanto or solaruim when we built this house 16 years ago. Hindsite is always 2020. We did build small but if we had inside growing area we could be growing all year and inside where we control the climate.

4. Don Alaska

Task Force Registered

It got down to 30 F. this morning, but we found no damage our our walk this morning. @Marie Mallery you could build a shade house using a frame and shade cloth to make things more tolerable for both you and your plants if you wish to continue gardening in the heat.

Marie Mallery likes this.
  5. Marie Mallery

Registered

Don we have had a leanto and still have a big greenhouse but its still outside and lots of dealing with climate issues either over heating or freezing,
    { yes we do have freezes here in N.Fl. even ice storms every so many decades.}So inside under the sun would have been the charm. Florida has some many exstreams its harf to climatize.

6. Susan Paynter

Susan Paynter Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

I hope Don wont mind me adding pictures of my home 20210830_131507.jpg grown produce in his post.
    Beets, (rather small this year), squash, kale and cucumber.

Yvonne Smith and Marie Mallery like this.
  7. Marie Mallery

Registered

I like pictures of crops nit speaking for Don of course just saying,nice pics.

Susan Paynter likes this.
  8. Don Alaska

Task Force Registered

Why would I mind if you post pics? I am happy when anyone grows anything, especially food, but flowers are good too, and lift the soul a bit.
    Wife is at the fair here doing her produce judging thing. She did a few entries herself yesterday, but crops haven't been as good this year as usual since we were gone for a good part of the peak growing season or had company, and the usual garden chores didn't get done as they should have. She entered a greenhouse collection and several peppers.
    Rainy and cool lately, so much of what is outside is not growing well except cabbages, beets and carrots.

9. Marie Mallery

Registered

I knew you wouldn't care and in fact be glad to see pics.

Don Alaska likes this.
  10. Marie Mallery

Registered

Hubby is now saying he is not sure he wants a fall garden this year.We have so much going on now.

11. Mary Stetler

Mary Stetler Veteran Member
    Registered

We are starting to ready the garden for fall. Sadly some grub or something has taken joy in our carrots, worming the way through most of them. I don't know quite how to deal with them. The voles chewed through the tops of our beets so I put in another crop. Haven't gotten them out yet to see.

Later I need to go through the property and gird all the small trees that are not supposed to be there, like along fence lines. Haven't done it in a while. Any hints how you do it? tools you use? I am trying to avoid chemicals but may have to resort to a few.

12. Marie Mallery

Registered

Sorry to hear that I know how frustrating it can be. I know some people use beer for slugs not sure what to use for grubs.

13. Marie Mallery

Registered

14. Don Alaska

Task Force Registered

Perhaps you have encountered carrot fly maggots. I understand they are a problem in some areas of the U.S. Next year or this fall if you can overwinter) try planting the seeds.
    Seeds

Here is what the damage looks like