Game Show Contestants That Don't Take-get Their Prizes

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussions' started by Cody Fousnaugh, Dec 10, 2020.

1. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

Many years ago, a friend of mine took me to a Price Is Right taping in Burbank, Ca. They asked for DL or State ID and SS card, in order to be a possible contestant. Neither of us got called.

To this date, I still watch the show and two other game shows. My wife enjoys all three.

I have wondered how the contestants obtain their prizes..........be that cash, actual prize or both. Done some online research and found that, due to paying taxes on winnings, there are those that don't take their prizes, due to lack of tax money or other reasons. If a trip/vacation is a prize, the flight will go out of Los Angeles and not all of the contestants live in So. California. So, along with paying the tax on the trip/vacation prize, they have to pay their way to Los Angeles to get the flight. If a contestant wins money only, they get the entire amount, but have to pay the tax when their state/federal taxes are due. From what I read, the Accounting Dept. of The Price Is Right sends out a letter/invoice to each winner telling them how much tax they owe. Tax must be paid before prize can be received/picked up.

So, a lot of the excitement of contestants winning, comes to a disappointing/angry/crying end when the tax bill comes in the mail or tax time rolls around.

2. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered