Game Chat

Discussion in 'Games & Riddles' started by Louise Williams, Jan 11, 2016.

1. Shirley Martin

Shirley Martin Supreme Member
    Registered

Kate, that fresh lettuce looks delicious. Do you start it from seed or transplant it? I have only grown lettuce a few times and I started from seed.

Steve, sorry, I can't agree with you about yellow tomatoes. Tomatoes are supposed to be red!!!!!:D Just like watermelon. I bought a yellow watermelon one time and it just wasn't right. :D

There is a huge difference in a black bear and a polar bear and a grizzly bear. Black bears are not aggressive unless she has cubs. We have black bears down east and are seeing more of them here in the last few years. My sister once saw one in her garden. She looked at him..... he looked at her.... then turned and walked away.

Craig, why won't you use an insecticide on your fruit? If we don't use it here, the bugs would eat everything. I don't use it on my tomatoes because they are one of the few things the bugs don't usually bother. When I had a garden, I used an insecticide but I used it very sparingly.

Louise, I remember when you set those trees out. I remember how excited you were to see your first figs and peaches. :)

2. Kate Ellery

Kate Ellery Supreme Member
    Registered

3D54B044-FF3F-4D18-923A-9FC34D07B255.jpeg I bought the lettuce as seedlings @Shirley Martin I have them growing in a old plastic box

Last edited: Apr 23, 2020
    Louise Miller likes this.
  3. Louise Miller

Louise Miller Supreme Member
    Registered

hi Kate, thats a great idea. never thought of that ,, will give it a try, i would love to have fresh lettuce, now that i can finally eat lettuce again, better then store bought as i recall..

4. Kate Ellery

Registered

I always grow lettuce in a pot in summer @Louise Miller that way I can move them to a bit of shade in the heat of summer ...it’s cool here now and they still grow well ....see photo I just added up here ⬆️⬆️ I just took this photo so there is still enough for more pickings before they even put on new growth
    The punnet of baby lettuce cost me $4. I’ve picked 4 lots so far off them..
    One tiny butter type lettuce costs around $4 each here

Last edited: Apr 23, 2020
  5. Louise Miller

Registered

thanks Kate, we only have green beans growing now in our little 4'x8' garden,, they are just now popping up out of the ground,,

6. Shirley Martin

Registered

It's surprising what you can grow in a container, Kate. I think the only things I haven't tried is corn and okra.

7. Louise Miller

Registered

okra is easy to grow. as is corn, just have to watch our for ratcoons eating the corn,,

8. Kate Ellery

Registered

We wasn’t using the plastic box so hubs drilled a few holes in the bottom of it and I filled with potting mix and dirt from my garden as potting mix dries out to fast by adding a bit of dirt it holds moisture longer

9. Louise Miller

Registered

i have used those big tall plastic paint cans sometimes.. to grow things. just drill a few holes on the bottom..

10. Shirley Martin

Registered

I learned a few years ago that you can buy baby diapers, take the plastic off of them, tear up the liner and mix it with your soil to help retain moisture.

11. Louise Miller

Registered

ok but diapers are expensive!! do you use already been pooed in :eek:? or just as they are ,,

12. Shirley Martin

Registered

I didn't have any pooed in. I quit the habit. :D It doesn't take much filler. I bought a pack of Dollar General ones. If your container is about the size of a five gallon bucket, one will be enough. It lasts for years so, in the long run, it's not that expensive.

13. Kate Ellery

Registered

Well plants need fertiliser @Louise Miller what better than natural fertiliser :D:)

Shirley Martin likes this.
  14. Louise Miller

Registered

yes, i know,, its a great way to garden , and you can move them too if a bad storm is coming,,

15. Shirley Martin

Registered