Game Chat

Discussion in 'Games & Riddles' started by Louise Williams, Jan 11, 2016.

1. Steve North

Steve North Supreme Member
    Registered

Boo Hoo…… The snow stopped but it is still below freezing..
    They are calling for sunny the next few days and gradually getting warmer..
    I'll believe it when I see it...

By the way, I'm not complaining, just wondering when the spring will come.. It is seasonal weather we are having..
    We NEVER plant any plants in our garden till the first week-end in June.. There could still be a frost till then..

2. Shirley Martin

Shirley Martin Supreme Member
    Registered

Craig, I saved the picture. I'll see what I can do with it.
    Steve, I know you like it there. I'm just kidding with you. ;)

My tomato plants have already taken hold and started growing.

3. Louise Miller

Louise Miller Veteran Member
    Registered

and our Green beans have emerged already too, whoohooo!!

4. Shirley Martin

Shirley Martin Supreme Member
    Registered

Won't be long before we'll be eatin' good!

5. Craig Wilson

Craig Wilson Veteran Member
    Registered

I admire you green thumb gals growing your own veggies. I must have a black thumb as I was never able to grow anything in our little veggie patch. Reckon the poor soil also had something to do with it.

6. Kate Ellery

Kate Ellery Supreme Member
    Registered

Craig it’s great to grow a few green veggies ,without any chemicals ...I’ve always grown silver beet / onions / lettuce ,I have other greens I’ve got planted now ..all growing well ...and it’s raining ☔️ today so the veggies almost grow overnight when we get a decent rain .

Maybe you can get the soil removed from your garden patch ( mini bobcats will do that for you )
    and replaced with good quality soil and try getting your hands dirty by trying again ,I get packs of seeds from the reject shop they grow well however there’s been panic buying in seeds and seedlings in S.A. don’t know about other states

7. Louise Miller

Registered

That would be my recon too Craig.. don't give up the crops tho.. Miracle grow can do wonders in your poor soil. may be worth the try,

8. Steve North

Registered

We have our tomatoes and other veggies already started in small containers..
    usually I like to buy the plants at the local greenhouse garden centre, but this year, they are closed..
    I have 2 raised gardens that I plant loads of veggies.. This year, we are starting everything from seed except the onions which I will buy the bulbs.. Lettuce is great as I snip off the leaves and in a few days, they grow back..
    I grow onions, carrots, zucchini, tomatoes, cucumbers, spinach, and butternut squash.. We always have a bumper crop.. I just finished the onions from last summer last week...
    My favourite is the grape yellow tomatoes..

9. Louise Miller

Registered

When we lived in Maine we grew all what you grew Steve and we had a huge garden with Lettuce, Beans,Tomatoes, Corn, Asparagus.(takes 2 yrs before you can start picking asparagus..) potatoes, Brussel sprouts, and we had 4 blueberry Bushes, raspberries bushes and a big strawberry bed too, but now that we are older we have a very small garden. and we only grow cucumbers, green beans and tomatoes. and we also have 2 fig trees and 2 peach trees. but that's it!!

10. Steve North

Registered

Wow !!! A peach tree and a fig tree would be interesting...
    I have 2 raised gardens that I built some years ago and they are what we use to grow our veggies..
    Strawberries are great but they have runners and they take over the entire space..
    I know exactly what you mean by cutting back on gardening as I was just discussing with my wife Annmarie that this will be the last year I can put that much effort in gardening..

11. Craig Wilson

Registered

I will consider your advice about having another crack at a veggie patch. But with two pesky dogs perhaps not very practical. I also had two peach trees but unable to have any edible fruit thanks to a proliferation of fruit fly. I refuse to spray poisonous chemicals on stone fruit. So every year I watch the fruit fly eat the peaches which fall to the ground. Then I have to rake away the many fallen leaves. I keep telling myself I will have this peach tree lopped. I do have a rather profitable mandarin tree.. tho last years heatwave and water restrictions played havoc with it. Almost half my tree burned in the sweltering heat. As a result, I had nowhere near the normal yield this year. Hoping for better next autumn.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2020
  12. Steve North

Registered

Craig... you live in a much warmer climate than I do...There is NO way I can grow what you do...
    We do have apple trees up here but I don't want anything to do with them.. The attract bears that come by to eat the apples.. I don't need that as we have enough of them anyway.. Actually just last week they came out of hibernation and they are looking for food...

13. Craig Wilson

Registered

Incessant snow and bears. No thanks Steve on living in Massey.

14. Kate Ellery

Kate Ellery Supreme Member
    Registered

@Craig Swanson could you just imagine Australia having wild bears roaming our streets we’d poop our pants if we came up close to one of those monsters near our homes
    I seen polar bears in sea world up the Gold Coast a couple of years ago that are not what I’d call cuddly bears
    one huge male was trying to drown a younger smaller bear in the pool

I like the lettuce you just pick the leaves of and they grow back again and again @Steve North I’ve just picked some to have with our tea ,it’s the 4 th lot I’ve picked since planting them about 2 weeks ago they grow so fast
    Here are the ones I just picked nice and fresh and chemical free

35E5C00E-0362-46A2-AF57-9DA289786A8F.jpeg

Shirley Martin likes this.
  15. Steve North

Registered

Kate.....
    As far as I know, there has NEVER been a bear attack in our area.. They are black bears and they are more scared of humans than humans are scared of them.. They do roam the streets but only looking for food and especially garbage.. Whenever I have encountered a bear up close, (and I mean very close) all I do is yell loud and they run off very fast.. They will only attack if provoked which one won't do . Just leave them alone and they will leave you alone.. Black bears are not all that big anyway.. A huge one can weigh 150kg compared to a moose that weighs 500kg..

your right about the lettuce and from what I can see in the photo, it is the same type of lettuce I grow...
    Fresh vegetables from the garden do NOT taste anything like those store bought ones.. Our carrots are actually sweet..