Game Chat

Discussion in 'Games & Riddles' started by Louise Williams, Jan 11, 2016.

1. Steve North

Steve North Supreme Member
    Registered

Yesterday afternoon we had an electrical storm come by.. Lightning and thunder galore with very heavy rain and very windy..
    I think it was a squall..
    Nevertheless, one bolt of lightning struck about 1/2 mile from our house and it blew out the sound card on our TV..
    I called our provider and they sent over a repair man who told me my sound in the TV was fried..
    Now we don't have any sound but we do have a picture.. I ran a wire from the TV to my stereo receiver and we have sound through my speakers..
    Obviously that is just a temporary fix and a new TV is something we need and soon...
    Next week, probably Wednesday, we will go to Sudbury and shop for a new TV..
    Now we have a 32 inch flat screen but I would like to get one a bit bigger..42 or 48 inch TV would be nice with surround sound..

2. Steve North

Registered

We did NOT go to the Powwow.. I thought it was more important to go get my new TV..
    I bought a TV on line from a shop in Espanola which is 30 minutes away from our house.. The shop is "Canadian Tire"...
    It was on special.. Normally $679.00 reduced to $499.00.. when I saw it and checked it out, I bought it on line..
    It is a bit bigger than I wanted, but it is what it is...
    It is a 49" (forty nine inch) surround sound, High definition, smart TV by LG... It has a 5 star rating which is excellent..
    I read some of the comments other owners have made about this TV and everyone praises it to no end...
    I have a one year warranty against defects and in case I don't like it, free refund of my $$$$...
    Now, tomorrow I have to install it... I also bought a surge protector this time...

Bottom line...................... NO POWWOW !!!!!!!! ................ NEW TV ........

3. Shirley Martin

Shirley Martin Supreme Member
    Registered

Good deal, Steve. I hope you love it. The speakers on my flat screen TV are in the back. I don't really like the way it sounds.I bought a sound bar for the one we have at the mobile home down near the coast. It helps a lot. If I watched TV a lot at home, I would buy one for here.

4. Steve North

Registered

The new TV is really awesome.. A 49" home theater system,,
    The screen is so big, it feels like I am in it..
    The sound is OK... Nothing special but just OK....

5. Kate Ellery

Kate Ellery Supreme Member
    Registered

I have a reasonably new 65 “ LG TV ,I’d never buy another large TV without being able to hear what they sound like before purchasing (you can do that in Costco).....you get what you pay for, cheap TVs are often cheap for a reason they are made up, using cheap components including speakers
    The speakers on ours are at the back of the TV none on the front .. so the sound isn’t very clear
    for the cost of it ,which was $1200

Last edited: Aug 12, 2019
  6. Steve North

Registered

I agree Kate............................. you get what you pay for...
    Buy cheap, get cheap...
    now the only exception is when something goes on special and is reduced, then a bargain is a good thing ......

7. Shirley Martin

Registered

@Kate Ellery , the sound bar makes a world of difference in the sound. I bought a small one at Walmart for $35-$40. I don't know if y'all have Walmarts or not but you should be able to find one somewhere for a decent price.

8. Kate Ellery

Registered

We are considering getting one @Shirley Martin no we don’t have Walmart ,we have Costco , who have a good range of sound bars and their return policy is so good if the item isn’t what you thought it would be

9. Shirley Martin

Registered

They might even be cheaper at Costco. I think Costco beats Walmart prices here sometimes. We don't have a Costco near me.

10. Kate Ellery

Registered

We have been a member of Costco for over 4 years and never returned an item bought from them
    I think it’s because they stock good quality items ,and unlike most stores that sell TV’s ect they have one of every tv / sound bars/ stereos / they stock on display and connected ,for you to look at and hear what it sounds like

Shirley Martin likes this.
  11. Steve North

Registered

Sound bar ????
    co0uld someone please explain exactly what it does and should I get one..
    Are there different sizes, or strengths, or sizes of that bar ???
    What would be a good one ???
    Does it cut out the speakers on the TV or is above it...

12. Kate Ellery

Registered

Here’s a Aussie site for you to look at it should give you answers to most of your questions Steve
    Again it depends on what your looking for A home theatre effect where you hear every boom and bang while watching a movie ..or just something like us to make it easier hearing when watching a movie or a musical
    or anything on TV
    Again you get what you pay for if you click on the product description it will take you to to more information and a YouTube showing how they work
    https://au.yamaha.com/en/products/a...-rLq7cgvfw4NFufIF_9Utvdnr-laIkNhoCuOsQAvD_BwE

Last edited: Aug 13, 2019
  13. Steve North

Registered

Holy Heck ...................... They are not cheap...... WOW !!!!!
    I realise it will drastically increase the sound, but talk about a price.. some are more than I paid for the TV....
    For now, I will pass on that luxury.. I'm not saying I won't invest that amount, but not just yet...

14. Shirley Martin

Registered

Steve, you can spend a lot of money on a sound bar but the cheap one I bought works just fine. The expensive ones are for people who have more money that they do sense. And want to show off their money. Your TV might not need one since it's a more expensive model. What I don't like about the flat screen TVs is that the speakers are in the back. The sound bar lets the sound come out the front. You can still have the sound from the TV at the same time.

Kate Ellery likes this.
  15. Shirley Martin

Registered

We are having a thunderstorm. My lights keep flickering. If the power goes off, I'll be gone for tonight.