Genetic Modification In Salmon

Discussion in 'Science & Nature' started by Frank Sanoica, Jun 15, 2019.

1. Frank Sanoica

Frank Sanoica Supreme Member
    Registered

The first genetically engineered animal approved for human consumption by U.S. F. D. A.
    Spawning a new way of breeding salmon
    What do you get when you cross a Chinook salmon gene and a DNA sequence from an ocean pout?

“A salmon that grows to market size about twice as fast as its natural counterpart,” according to the Chicago Tribune.

Coming, perhaps, to your dinner table in 2020.

The ocean pout is an eel-like fish that lives in the northwest Atlantic Ocean; the Chinook is the largest variety of Pacific salmon.

Rest of the story: http://www.journalgazette.net/opinion/editorials/20190615/spawning-a-new-way-of-breeding-salmon

Will you eat this? Frank

Bobby Cole likes this.
  2. Bill Boggs

Bill Boggs Supreme Member
    Registered

Neither one. Not many ocean fish I will eat unless put in an Oskar Myer weiner.

Von Jones and Bess Barber like this.
  3. Nancy Hart

Nancy Hart Veteran Member
    Registered

I followed that link a bit, and they indicate it will look more like a salmon than an ocean pout. Thank you.

[​IMG]

Frank Sanoica likes this.
  4. Bess Barber

Bess Barber Veteran Member
    Task Force Registered

Von Jones and Frank Sanoica like this.
  5. Frank Sanoica

Registered

@Nancy Hart
    I posted this because of the ongoing controversy regarding messing with Mother Nature's genetic system.

Is Pout edible? Not by me, after seeing it!
    Frank

6. Nancy Hart

Registered

He does look like he's pouting, doesn't he. :confused:

7. Frank Sanoica

Registered

@Nancy Hart
    I suspect I would be, too, before, during, and after eating him!
    Frank

8. Von Jones

Von Jones Supreme Member
    Registered

Honestly, I thought this was about General Electric.:eek:

9. Frank Sanoica

Registered

@Von Jones
    It might very well be, knowing that General Electric Co. might just own a stake in Monsanto!
    Frank

10. Nancy Hart

Registered

I think someone changed the title. I thought the same thing.

Beth Gallagher likes this.
  11. Don Alaska

Don Alaska Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

This has been a controversy here for a long time. A GMO fish may find its way into the ecosystem and corrupt it beyond repair. It will be used in the fish farming industry, which is illegal here, but Atlantic Salmon used for farming in both Washington State and British Columbia have been found in Alaska waters. The impact of GMO fish is unknown. I think they are supposed to be sterile, but Nature finds a way around Man's manipulation. I just read that the so-called sterile male mosquitoes that have been released into the wild to control mosquito population have stimulated the development of parthenogenic females, which, like locust hordes, bypass the normal sexual exchange and lay thousands more eggs than normal, thus now actually INCREASING the mosquito numbers, and all are copies of the females, so they are parthenogenic as well.

12. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I changed the title. It didn’t show any relationship to what the topic was about, and Ken likes titles that explain what the thread is about.
    I like that, too !
    I am guessing that “GE” meant genetic engineering,(or something similar) but I had to actually read the OP to figure out what the thread was about to know where to move it, since it was in the off-topic section of the forum.
    It was originally something like “GE, Have they gone too far ?”, and I had no clue it was about salmon from reading the title.

Nancy Hart likes this.
  13. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

When I lived in Western Washington State, I was near Mayfield Lake, and used to fish there a lot, and swim in the shallows. They have a hybrid fish there called the Tiger Muskie, and it is grown for two specific reasons.
    The first reason (of course) is that sports fishermen LOVE catching these dramatic-looking fish, and they get really big, over 30 lbs.
    The Tiger Muskie eats minnows from bottom feeder fish like squawfish and suckers, which the lake was overloaded with before the Muskie were placed there, and that is the second reason that they were planted in Lake Mayfield (and other Washington lakes).
    They are grown in a special hatchery nearby, and moved to the lake when they are still fairly small, but large enough to eat the minnows in the shallow waters.
    Since they are a hybrid, they are sterile, and possibly, the salmon that Frank initially posted about might be sterile as well, because most hybrids are sterile, and maybe the GMO ones are, too. The article didn’t say.

A hybrid is not the same thing as a genetically modified plant or animal, it is simply the intermixing of two organisms that are close enough related to be bred together.
    A common example that has been around forever, is the mule. They are the offspring of a jack donkey and a mare horse.
    Less common, is the hinny, which is the result of a stallion with a female donkey, which has more of the characteristics of a horse than the mule does.
    Genetic modification is the splicing in of the genes of one organism (plant or animal) into another organism that is totally unrelated.
    With animals , these are called a chimera, and with plants , we just usually say GMO. Here is a Tiger Muskie.

23549786-6800-4EE4-ACEB-D680D47C2A8C.jpeg

14. Frank Sanoica

Registered

@Don Alaska
    You convey news that may indicate future horrible consequences. So far, I've avoided getting seriously upset by the genetic manipulation craze grasping the Food Industry, but it's looking bleaker as time goes by. The mosquito news in particular is most unwelcome.
    Frank