Further Research On Smart Televisions

Discussion in 'Gadgets & Tech Talk' started by Neville Telen, Oct 1, 2018.

1. Neville Telen

Neville Telen Veteran Member
    Registered

2. Frank Sanoica

Frank Sanoica Supreme Member
    Registered

@Neville Telen This has troubled me for some time, not for my own position, but rather that it would be done at all. As for us, we have nothing "smart" in our house. We pick our channel to be watched off a Dish satellite; our TV is very old, certain it cannot tell the satellite what we choose.
    Frank

3. Don Alaska

Don Alaska Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

I got a Vizio "smart" TV, but it isn't very smart. I haven't found any cameras or anything on it, but I wouldn't have purchased it if I had known what it is like. It may "record our viewing choices, but I don't think we are very interested and mostly watch the "Oldies" channels and Amazon Prime. It is supposed to stream directly from Wi-Fi, but it doesn't work, but the Fire stick works fine.

4. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I'm happy enough with my smart TV. Basically, it just does Roku directly rather than having to use the box.

Bobby Cole likes this.
  5. Thomas Stearn

Thomas Stearn Veteran Member
    Registered

When setting up the TV I made sure all "smart" functions never got activated and I deactivated everything I didn't need, respectively. The most important thing seems to be not to use the WiFi functionality at all.

Neville Telen and Don Alaska like this.
  6. Neville Telen

Registered

I'd say the Wi-Fi stuff is bad news all around, beginning to end.
    https://www.wired.com/2016/01/wifi-halow-internet-of-things/
    https://www.computerworld.com/artic...ternet-of-things-gets-a-name-wi-fi-halow.html
    https://internetofthingsagenda.techtarget.com/definition/Internet-of-Things-IoT
    I go out of my way not to have any Wi-Fi/Bluetooth around here. The remotes on my TV, DVD player, DVD recorder, VCR, and light switch is as close as I'll be getting to that junk.

Frank Sanoica likes this.
  7. Frank Sanoica

Registered

@Neville Telen

We have those, as well as "shooters" which turn our ceiling fans on and off. I think the fans are not smart.
    Frank

Neville Telen likes this.
  8. Neville Telen

Registered

If anything turns on/off without your intervention, you know its either 'smart'..... or you got a ghostie.

9. Frank Sanoica

Registered

@Neville Telen
    Then I fail to understand today's loose usage of the term "smart". I extend my traditional understanding of it to include, today, the ability to "spy" on me or others in real time or otherwise. Seems pretty unlikely that my fans would have that degree of technology built in. Perhaps I'm wrong.
    Frank

Bobby Cole and Ken Anderson like this.
  10. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

Yes, we have a much dreaded smart TV and the house is loaded with WiFI and other instrumentation.
    With the IPads going on and the Apple watches constantly monitoring us not to even lightly mention the possibility that the IPhones are recording and sending scenes of me walking nude through my living room to some unknown entity I have only one thing to add to the conversation.

If someone is watching from the other side, they live a pretty boring life. They would have more fun watching my ceiling fan because it’s a little kinky: It goes both directions.