Frustrated With Handyman

Discussion in 'Home Improvement' started by Ken Anderson, Feb 9, 2016.

1. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Veteran Member
    Registered

Well if mine is legit, I'm a warm state. I wasn't even that excited about saving because my energy bill is usually low. I'm gone a lot and don't heat too much in the winter. Summer can be higher with AC but again, I'm usually gone half the month.

2. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Veteran Member
    Registered

We're on our third day now, and they won't be finishing today. They were able to fill some of the walls on our second floor from the attic, but there were holes so they are going to have to cut into our second floor walls as well. Plus, there are a few spots on the first floor that will have to be redone, I guess. They have a device that they can point at the wall, which shows the density of the insulating pack.

Right now, they are in the attic, where they will be spraying a couple of feet of insulation over the current floor, and then building a platform over a portion of that to allow for storage. I am going to have to complete the floor in order to use that space for anything else, which I'll do. After this crew is done, another crew will be coming in that will spray foam insulation over the foundation from within the crawlspace, as well as installing a more heavily insulated entrance door to it. The current crew has a contract for $14,000, and I know they have added something to that in giving us a bigger storage platform in the attic than was originally planned for. Adding whatever the contractors will get for doing the crawlspace work, I am thinking that this will be more than a $20,000 job.

Ruby Begonia and Chrissy Cross like this.
  3. Ken Anderson

Registered

Ouch! They won't be done until Monday, at the earliest. They won't be working over the weekend, but our house will still be in upheaval throughout the weekend because they will still have to put on the trim to cover the lines where they drilled the holes. Every room has been started, but none of the rooms are completed.

Chrissy Cross likes this.
  4. Ken Anderson

Registered

As uncomfortable as this has been, we are getting more than twenty thousand dollars worth of work done at no cost, so it will certainly be a good thing. They are absolutely insulating all of our exterior walls, attic, and ceiling. Even the crawl space will be insulated with a better vapor barrier than I already had, as well as spray foam all around the foundation, which will greatly reduce the amount of cold air coming through the floors. The crawl space is heated, since that's where the water pipes are, but this additional insulation will warm it considerably more than it has been. Given that we live in Maine where, except for this winter, it is usually pretty cold much of the year, and we heat with heating oil or kerosene, which usually costs a lot of money, although costs are down for that too right now, it will be very nice not to have to go through so much of it.

5. Chrissy Cross

Registered

You did good, Ken! Can't think of a better deal than what you got, definitely worth the mess and bother.

Just think...you could be having all this mess and paying the $20,000!

If these people ever contact me again, I'll take a serious look at what they offer.

Yvonne Smith and Ruby Begonia like this.
  6. Gary Ridenour

Gary Ridenour Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

im not a handy man anymore cause of my back, knee problems. so wife and i sold the farm and moved to a community where they do it all. inside and out. and glad of it. i was farming out lawn, snow removal and other projects i could not do anymore.

7. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

If they call you , @Chrissy Page ; please give them my phone number to call next, and tell them Alabama is just on the eastern side of California, okay ?

Chrissy Cross likes this.
  8. Ken Anderson

Registered

Yay! They are almost done. They are done with the insulation work, and have nearly covered all the holes that they had drilled in the walls. Most of them have left already, I think. Someone will remain today to clean up, as I am told they clean the place to the point where you wouldn't know they were there, except for putting all the stuff away again that had to be pulled out for the insulation work. Although I hated it, our house will be well insulated and we were forced to go through a bunch of stuff that we would probably never have gotten around to doing, parting with a lot of it at the same time. I know I've made three trips to the transfer station and a neighbor took a pickup load of trash for us last week. Now we just have another crew that will be coming in to do the crawl space and foundation work, but I don't think that will be more than one day's work and it won't involve the living space.

9. Ken Anderson

Registered

Finally, a reprieve. If there is any justice in the world, I'll be in surgery when the next group comes in to do the crawlspace, so that my wife will have to deal with it. Right now, everything is an awful mess in here, as we still haven't put everything back yet. After fighting with the shelf yesterday, I'm so sore I'd like to stay in bed all day.

Bobby Cole and Chrissy Cross like this.
  10. Chrissy Cross

Registered

Go to bed and take your kindle with you. :)

11. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

The surprising thing here Ken is that with your insistence upon having even numbers you didn't make the guys do the job twice and have 2 shelves to put up so you could be twice as sore. Will you be having two surgerys just to make up for past indiscretions revolving around your ocd?

Ken Anderson and Chrissy Cross like this.
  12. Babs Hunt

Babs Hunt Veteran Member
    Registered

How's that new insulation working out for your wife and you? :)

13. Ken Anderson

Registered

It's hard to tell because the weather has warmed up considerably, so it's hard to tell how much of it has to do with the insulation. We've turned the thermostats way down, though.

Yvonne Smith and Babs Hunt like this.
  14. Babs Hunt

Babs Hunt Veteran Member
    Registered

Well turning "down" the thermostats is a good start on proof that the new insulation is working just fine! :)