Free State Of Jones

Discussion in 'Movies' started by Ken Anderson, Jun 24, 2016.

1. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

We're in Portland for a couple of days, and will be heading home tomorrow. We just came back from watching Free State of Jones, which is based, at least loosely, on a true story that occurred in Mississippi during the Civil War. Starring Matthew McConaughey, the show is about a group of Confederate deserters who initially hide out in the swamps with some runaway slaves, but later become large enough of a group to actively engage the Confederates on behalf of a Union that refuses to recognize their contributions to the war effort. Refused support from the Union, they begin referring to themselves as the Free State of Jones, for Jones County.

The movie continues on to several years after the Civil War, through the emergence of the Klan. Everything doesn't wrap up nicely as some movies do, largely because it's based on a true story and the truth seldom fits into a nice package, but it is an interesting movie.

Ike Willis likes this.
  2. Texas Beth

Texas Beth Veteran Member
    Registered

I have seen commercials for this movie and didn't really know what to think about it. I got the impression from the commercials it may have been based on a true story, but I didn't know for sure. You said it was and interesting movie. Did you like it? Would you say it was a good movie? (And being a good movie does not correlate with how a movie ends.)

3. Ken Anderson

Yes, it was a very good movie.

4. Ike Willis

Ike Willis Supreme Member
    Registered

That movie is on my "must see" list.

5. Bill Boggs

Bill Boggs Supreme Member
    Registered

I've seen it advertised; wondered about it.

6. Lon Tanner

Lon Tanner Supreme Member
    Registered

I thoroughly enjoyed this film. Matthew Mc Conaughey is one of my favorite actors.

It's about Jones County Mississippi, a notorious county that seceded from the Confederacy. Some myth & lrgend.

7. Ken Anderson

That was an excellent film.

8. K E Gordon

K E Gordon Veteran Member
    Registered

I saw the trailer when I was at the movies. I thought it looked interesting. More than likely, it is one I will be waiting until it comes out on video though. These days, movies are so expensive that unless someone else is paying or I have a special deal, I will only go to the ones I am dying to see. @Ike Willis did you ever see the Hatfields and McCoys the history channel epic? I bet that is one you really like! If you haven't seen it try to catch it, they replay it periodically.

Ike Willis likes this.